• ...and so much more!
  • TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Bolo R.jpg

I found the above recently.
    The wood is not hard but not rotten.
    Per the finger grooves, and the heft, I'm thinking this might be USGI.
    If so, I'd like to clean it up.

Any info on how to accomplish this is appreciated.

Or maybe leave it as is and retire it from wood chopping.

Peace.

Attachments

• Bolo L.jpg
      Bolo L.jpg
      249.2 KB · Views: 49

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    looks like a bolo to me. I’ve cleaned a lot of rusty tools by soaking them in white vinegar for a few days. Pull it out of the vinegar and rinse it good with the pressure from the garden hose. I’ve never had anything with wood on it, but don’t think it will damage the wood. I clean all my wood cutting boards with white vinegar.
    Worth a shot, and it’s easy.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Evaporust may help, but dunno what to do about the wood grips first.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Vinegar is good. If you can submerge it up to the crosspiece, and use a bronze brush to remove the rust, it will eventually clean up pretty well. Once the rust is removed, you should neutralise the acid (vinegar) with a baking soda slurry, and rinse well with hot water. Then oil the blade, or use something like renaissance wax, to seal it off and prevent more rust.

I suppose you could drill out the rivets and clean the tang as well, then re-fasten the old handles, or replace with something new. I don't know that I'd bother, but it's not my knife. I'd say it's worth some effort.

Look here:

Thee's a bunch on ebay, worth taking a look. Someone is even selling one of the canvas/leather scabbards for 30 bucks or so.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Home Depot sells some stuff for removing rust from old rusty tools. I heard it works well.

Phosphoric acid. In the paint supplies aisles.

The stuff is positively incredible. Brush it on, let it sit and work overnight, rinse in the morning with clear water, let dry and repeat. And repeat. And repeat …

A big equipment operator buddy pulled an original era correct rim for my wife’s ’66 GTO out of a hillside he was moving for new construction. He guesstimated the wheel had been buried in that mud and muck for decadeS.

A couple weeks later it was de-rusted, re-painted and looking showroom new in the trunk of her car with the trunk open for judging by car show officials.

It is also the 3rd or 4th ingredient (by quantity) in dark colored colas and soft drinks.

Sip on ^that^!

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Maybe try soaking it in some CLR? That stuff takes the rust off all our faucets pretty well (we’re on well water).

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Phosphoric acid. In the paint supplies aisles.

The stuff is positively incredible. Brush it on, let it sit and work overnight, rinse in the morning with clear water, let dry and repeat. And repeat. And repeat …

A big equipment operator buddy pulled an original era correct rim for my wife’s ’66 GTO out of a hillside he was moving for new construction. He guesstimated the wheel had been buried in that mud and muck for decadeS.

A couple weeks later it was de-rusted, re-painted and looking showroom new in the trunk of her car with the trunk open for judging by car show officials.

It is also the 3rd or 4th ingredient (by quantity) in dark colored colas and soft drinks.

Sip on ^that^!
    Vinegar is cheaper. I don't know how much of a disposal problem phosphoric acid might be; vinegar has no issues of that nature.

One of those plastic troughs used for paint rollers is a nice item for the purpose.

I don't recall how long it took for me to remove a few decades of black crud from a couple daggers I have, but I don't think it was an overnight issue. My memory is shot for anything that didn't happen decades ago.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I sprayed it all with PJ but the grip screws remained tight.

So I got some Rustoleum Rust Remover, put it in a paint roller tray, and let it sit overnight. As recommended by @BFMIN .

Som bitch the majority of the rust was gone! But it was coated with black slime.

I scrubbed it next with a cooking plastic sponge pad with faux brillo and a toothbrush.

Lots of pitting but on the right side up from the hilt is a US mark with a SN below.

On the left side up from the hilt there appears to be a SA, maybe with an ordenance bomb under with a 1913 (15,16,18,?).

The wood has changed from black to dark red.

With the rust off I can see where the button top aft of the hilt connects with a U plate of sorts coming under; kind of like a bayonet mount but IDK considering the but of the bolo. Likely a spring in there along with a lot of crud that prevents movement.

I have it soaking with PJ now and will see if I can get some pics that show the markings.

Also, the blade is ground on the right side, not the left, and has not been sharpened in some time. I'll leave that alone.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I sprayed it all with PJ but the grip screws remained tight.

So I got some Rustoleum Rust Remover, put it in a paint roller tray, and let it sit overnight. As recommended by @BFMIN .

Som bitch the majority of the rust was gone! But it was coated with black slime.

I scrubbed it next with a cooking plastic sponge pad with faux brillo and a toothbrush.

Lots of pitting but on the right side up from the hilt is a US mark with a SN below.

On the left side up from the hilt there appears to be a SA, maybe with an ordenance bomb under with a 1913 (15,16,18,?).

The wood has changed from black to dark red.

With the rust off I can see where the button top aft of the hilt connects with a U plate of sorts coming under; kind of like a bayonet mount but IDK considering the but of the bolo. Likely a spring in there along with a lot of crud that prevents movement.

I have it soaking with PJ now and will see if I can get some pics that show the markings.

Also, the blade is ground on the right side, not the left, and has not been sharpened in some time. I'll leave that alone.
    :needpics:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The "mystery catch" locked it into the scabbard!
    :party29:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    looks like a bolo to me. I’ve cleaned a lot of rusty tools by soaking them in white vinegar for a few days. Pull it out of the vinegar and rinse it good with the pressure from the garden hose. I’ve never had anything with wood on it, but don’t think it will damage the wood. I clean all my wood cutting boards with white vinegar.
    Worth a shot, and it’s easy.

****Yup. That works well. Probably more professional ways of doing it, but worth a shot.

Could look almost new! (uhh.. mebbe..)

knife.jpg
    bolo4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom