• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I’m located in Nova but definitely willing to do a little traveling. Long story short this is my first year bow hunting in public lands and I need to acquire some gear. Any recommendations on places that sell used hunting gear?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I’m located in Nova but definitely willing to do a little traveling. Long story short this is my first year bow hunting in public lands and I need to acquire some gear. Any recommendations on places that sell used hunting gear?
    A bit of a drive, but Keystone Sporting Goods in Hagerstown has used bows in stock occasionally, IIRC. Perhaps worth a call to see what they may have in stock. They are my go to shop for archery/crossbow gear.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Are you looking for Bows, Arrows, Tree Stands etc?

I have a brand new nice Summit climber stand. I also have a ladder stand, but it is used and will be my likely go to stand.
    Sadly my low back and painful legs/hips may prevent me from using the climber now that I assembled it.

Also, one of our members that I know of who is a good bow man is named Sticky.
    Look him up and PM him, maybe he has some suggestions.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    A bit of a drive, but Keystone Sporting Goods in Hagerstown has used bows in stock occasionally, IIRC. Perhaps worth a call to see what they may have in stock. They are my go to shop for archery/crossbow gear.
    I go up that way occasionally, I’ll check them out, definitely not in a rush
    Are you looking for Bows, Arrows, Tree Stands etc?

I have a brand new nice Summit climber stand. I also have a ladder stand, but it is used and will be my likely go to stand.
    Sadly my low back and painful legs/hips may prevent me from using the climber now that I assembled it.

Also, one of our members that I know of who is a good bow man is named Sticky.
    Look him up and PM him, maybe he has some suggestions.
    Primarily a decent Fanny pack and tree climber are what I’m looking for. I used to hunt on private land so I have most of what I need but I’ve also lost that luxury of hunting out of a permanent blind

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    Where do you live and think you will hunt?
    I live in Arlington, VA. There’s a handful of public hunting grounds that i plan on going to this year that are fairly close to here . Surprisingly there’s a lot of public land around here close to DC though they are limited to bow which will be my primary focus anyways. I’d say Quantico checks a lot of boxes and if it turns out to be what i think it is I can see myself being a regular there.

I definitely plan on going out to George Washington National Forrest for a weekend rifle hunt.

I used to hunt in Frederick & Western Maryland in the past on private land. I just moved to Arlington so it’s a new chapter for me.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    People post stuff up for sale here all the time. Bows stands arrows etc... I'd check the classifieds frequently. A climber, a good bow (compound or cross), plus clothes should get you started.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    My suggestion would be this.

focus on getting a good bow setup if you’re doing archery. Arrows , tab/release, sight, rest, and so on.

the rest is like clint talking to the kid in Grand Torino. It comes over time, you accumulate.

id focus on good boots first. Waterproof and as effective as possible in water or condensation. And still comfortable enough to hike as needed.

most of the older folks started out hunting with jeans and flannel and old army surplus stuff. Cheap(er) options to start

IF you’re average size, not 4xlt like some folks, there is reasonable price stuff to be had walmart, can be less expensive if you’re just starting out..

bass pro/cabelas has stuff but maybe a little more expensive than some. But the benefit is that you can see how it feels, comfort, quiet, weight In person. And then maybe check online. Academy? Similar

for the first year, and also check public land rules about stands.. ground hunting may be an option. A few cloths pins and thumb tacks.. and a couple sections of camo fabric work well. Setup near 2-3 trunks and wrap/tack the fabric around. Super portable, minimum noise and weight.

over time, if you like it, you can accumulate more as you go.

good luck and enjoy

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I go up that way occasionally, I’ll check them out, definitely not in a rush

Primarily a decent Fanny pack and tree climber are what I’m looking for. I used to hunt on private land so I have most of what I need but I’ve also lost that luxury of hunting out of a permanent blind
    My 2 cents, a Fanny pack ain’t enough if you might be on public land up a tree. I carry a lot more on to public land when I hunt that on my own property/private. The latter I am probably not far from my house or can easily get stuff to where I am hunting. All private property I e hunted was at worst about 100yds from a field/trial you could drive an ATV on if worst came to worse or was maybe a quarter mile hike.

Public land I am sometimes 1.5-2 miles from the closest road access and I might be 3-4 miles from my vehicle and I will not be going back there during the day.

Doubly so up in a climber. A ladder tree stand I can be on the ground in 30 seconds without risking safety and little effort. A climber is a few minutes to do it safely and a LOT more effort down and if I need to go back up. So I want food/snacks/water for all day. Some TP, because sometimes that crap waits for no man. Though I’ve yet to get stuck with that problem in a climber (I have run in to that a couple times in a ladder stand getting the trots back in to my house). Need to make sure I’ve got a drag with me on public land. A good first aid kit+trauma kit (I make sure to have a trauma kit anytime I hunt, even right next to my house with only one exception ever). Overnight/real bad luck gear (space blanket, water proof matches, lighter, some water purification tablets, compass) just in case things go south and I get lost, stuck, whatever.

Private property/my property, usually I head in at lunch time from my blind or ladder stand to have a light lunch, refill my canteen, grab a cup of coffee, stretch my legs and back out there 15-20 minutes later. So a lot less stuff. I use the same backpack for both, but again it’s about 5lbs+32oz canteen private property/my property. Particularly cold I might pack a thermos with coffee or mocha that add a pound and a half or an extra layer of clothes to add on.

Public land it’s about 10lbs+64oz of water in two canteens. Possibly plus a thermos and maybe an extra layer of clothes in it.

Roscoe1

MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2023
    E.Shore
    Something that has saved me on public land.

A hunting cart!

I pack all my gear and tree stand on my cart. If I'm successful I wheel my deer out . I like to venture by myself sometimes a mile or two in. 100lb deer can be a ball buster drag.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I have a deer stand if you have a place you could set it up and leave it a while.
    My hunting days are over I feel.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I am in north central MD and have an older extra but unused API climber, a Mathews DXT bow, and a Ten Point Vapor crossbow that I have been considering letting go of. PM me if you are interested in any of that. I probably have an extra Fanny pack.

JoeCon

Apr 2, 2023
    Pasadena Md
    You can look on marylandwhitetail.com classifieds

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom