• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • senetor24

Mar 4, 2013
    What do you guys normally do when you purchase a used gun? Normally I break down, clean, and use a snap cap to make sure everything is working properly. Is there any other steps I should be taking? Should all guns be inspected by a professional before firing?

Last edited:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'd say unless there was some reason to suspect an issue, clean/inspect,....shoot!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I do the same, but usually take to gunsmith for a professional evaluation.

I'd rather pay the professional for his opinion on the safety of it than me finding something catastrophic at the range.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Depends on how recent the firearm was manufactured. For example I'd do a basic function check and a couple easy armorer checks on an AR but I'd prolly pay someone or buy some tools if I was checking a 98 Mauser.

senetor24

Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks for all the answers/advice. If I come across a C&R I will have a professional complete the inspection.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Field strip, visual inspection, function check. If the age & condition warrants, maybe have a gunsmith take a look.

One thing to add for a semi-auto, make your first shot or 2 with only a single round loaded, and then follow with a few with only 2 rounds, before fully loading the mag. Can prevent accidents if there's a stuck firing pin (like an SKS that wasn't cleaned properly), disconnector issue, etc.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    To me for the most part a gun being used just means that its proven to work already. Clean it up and shoot up. Obviously if we are talking about something really really old or questionable further checking should be done. I think however most guns if reasonably taken care of are built to last a century or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom