• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    Is there anywhere around here that sells used bows? I'd like to get into recurve/longbow archery but want to keep the initial equipment investment low. I'm not averse to spending the money of good gear, just not looking to go whole hog before I figure out if I even enjoy it. Any recommendations or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    New entry level glass composite bows are quite affordable and you don't see a whole lot of them for sale used. Most people do enjoy it and hold on to their stuff. Plus the technology doesn't really improve because of the nature of the product. They are simplistic designs, no new "cam" or "riser" design like the compound crowd succumbs to. Check the internet and compare base model bows then check your local shop.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Used bows aren't very common. I have tried to sell a few bows that I have outgrown. The problem is they are so common there really isn't a market for them. You can get "beginner" recurves however. Just check in with any local archery shop.

-Z

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    Craigslist!

I just got into archery myself. Craigslist has a ton of bows for about 100 dollars. They typically are older compound bows...I got a used browning compound bow with a 50 pound pull, hunting arrows, target arrows, quiver, and target mat for 100 bucks!

Feb 22, 2010
    Bushwood
    Check out your local bow shops, I've seen a used rack at a few of them. I guess there trade in's or consignments, I picked up a used one a few years back just for the KYB hard case and sold the bow to a friend of mine.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    The issue lies in the depreciation value with bows. Manufacturers are constantly pushing the envelope of technology and offering the bow of tomorrow for the bow of yesterday's price. My Reflex that I paid $200 for, dropped $200 worth of accessories on, will not sell for $400 because you can get a new Mission (Mathews low end market brand) for the same price. The Mission is quieter, faster and more accurate than my Reflex will ever be (not enough for me to run out and buy one) and all for about the same price. You have to put it into perspective. Almost any bow made in the last 30 years is capable of taking most game animals (if that's your goal). I know guys that head out into the woods with an old Bear made in the 70's and at some point in the season they're going to walk out of the woods with a dear dragging behind them. My point is that when you get past all the advertising, gimmicks and speed freaks, find the best bow in your price range and go from there.

/End Novel

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    If you do find a used bow make sure you inspect the limbs and riser for cracks. Nothing worse than a bow splitting apart on you mid draw :D

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    There's a pawn shop in Waldorf/White Plains area that usually has a couple. I'm sure they're hot as a firecracker:sad20:, but if you don't mind pawn shops, you might want to check your local one.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    Also sight down the length of the bow to make sure it's not twisted. If a stick bow is not stored properly the tip or whole limb will move out of alignment.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    My friend has a large collection of bows, recurves, long bows, Compounds. PM Me if you want me to have him contact you and let you know what to look for in a tradional bow and what he might have that you would be interested in.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I have been shooting compound for a long, long time. I think my next bow will be a long bow.

I've actually been thinking the same thing but I was going to switch because of my shooting style. When I quickfire with a compound I am hair splitting accurate. I actually end up ruining all m arrows that way. If I have to hold a compound bow for more than 10 seconds, forget about it, you'll be finding arrows in the next county. Basically I'm a great instinctive shooter but when I concentrate I stink to high heaven.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    The issue lies in the depreciation value with bows. Manufacturers are constantly pushing the envelope of technology and offering the bow of tomorrow for the bow of yesterday's price. My Reflex that I paid $200 for, dropped $200 worth of accessories on, will not sell for $400 because you can get a new Mission (Mathews low end market brand) for the same price. The Mission is quieter, faster and more accurate than my Reflex will ever be (not enough for me to run out and buy one) and all for about the same price. You have to put it into perspective. Almost any bow made in the last 30 years is capable of taking most game animals (if that's your goal). I know guys that head out into the woods with an old Bear made in the 70's and at some point in the season they're going to walk out of the woods with a dear dragging behind them. My point is that when you get past all the advertising, gimmicks and speed freaks, find the best bow in your price range and go from there.

/End Novel

Mine's from the 80's ( not quite the one in Deliverance )

There is always something new coming out - the main thing to look for in a used bow is make sure the draw length is what fits YOU. My Dad and I can shoot the same bow just fine, but not my uncle and myself. A small difference in the length of your arms can change how a bow feels for you by quite a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom