• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    That said, I have always been dissatisfied with the search function on this forum software. It fails to find threads and posts I know damn well are there, or returns a million useless hits.

There's a way to search MdShooters through Google, which I think works better, but I forget exactly how it's done. Perhaps someone else can explain, or at least tell us to do a search for the information.
    Typing the following text into google search will search the mdshooters.com site for the phrase "M1 carbine", and banned.

"m1 carbine" banned site:mdshooters.com

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Okay so m1a is banned. Are variants thereof banned? Such as the M21 or M25?

"Assault Weapons" are listed here. This is the list of regulated rifles that will be banned in October. http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=835OWi-sH2U=&tabid=429&mid=1074

In it you'll see:

(37) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3,
    SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding
    the M1 Garand

So M1A is banned by name. The M-21 is also banned by name. A Semi M-14 is banned by being a copy of a M1A. So the variant m-21 is banned by name but it would also be banned by virtue of it being a "copy" of a M1A, I assume.

This is what maryland says about copies: http://www.oag.state.md.us/Opinions/2010/95oag101.pdf

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Meanwhile, this thread is about the M1 Carbine, not the Garand, not the M1A, not the Mini14.

The Carbine has never been "Regulated" in Maryland. It has always been "cash and carry". There is no need to "register" your carbine after October 1. However, if it has a folding stock, that would put it in a banned configuration as a "copycat" (stupid, ignorant term we'll be stuck with).

This very bad law is such an ignorant confused mess, produced by ignorant confused people, that I'm sure no one can really make sense of it. The fools who wrote it had no idea what they were doing, and now no one really knows what it means.

Under the old stupid law, a Mini14 was unregulated, unless it had a folding stock. Then it had to be sold/transfered as "Regulated". Under the new, stupider law, existing folding stock Mini14s will be Grandfathered, while new ones will be banned.

I suppose an existing Carbine with a folding stock would be Grandfathered also, as long as it existed in that configuration before October 1. It appears to me I could buy a Choate or Butler Creek folder (or an overpriced M1A1 repro stock) and put it on my Inland now, and I could claim it's Grandfathered next year. But since the Carbine was never "registered" (not required), there is no record that it existed in the folding stock configuration. Yes, the burden would be on the State to prove I had put the folding stock on after October 1, but how much help is that, really?

My AK is already "registered", so the State can check their own records to confirm that it's grandfathered. But a folding stock Carbine is going to jump from "Unregulated" to "Banned Configuration", with no clear proof of grandfathered status.

Good thing we have the reassurance that crime is going to disappear overnight, because otherwise I might think this new law is not well thought out.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    See if this makes sense.

The old stupid law created a class of "Regulated" rifles. That "Regulated" status only affects transfer, not possession. Yes, you can buy a fixed stock Mini14 and put a folder on it, creating a "regulated" gun. "The State don't care. The State don't give a shit", as long as you don't sell it/transfer it in that configuration (or allow an unsupervised 18-20 year old to use it). Regulated status is meaningless for adults over 21, as regards possession. The State only cared about how it was transfered.

Likewise, people would buy HBARs cash and carry, then put M4-gery uppers on them, congratulating themselves on putting something over on the State. "The State don't care. The State don't give a shit."

"Regulated" is about transfer, not about possession.

Now under the new stupid law, we have a new class of rifles: "Banned". Banned rifles simply can't be legally transfered in-state (I don't care about inheritance here). Existing "Banned" guns can be possessed, they just can't be transfered.

It looks like the new stupid law, like the old stupid law, is focused on transfer, rather than possession.

This makes me doubt the State is going to care about anything a law-abiding citizen is found in possession of, as long as they don't try to transfer it. In other words, I shouldn't have to prove I put that Choate Folder on my Carbine before October, nor prove I completed my M-4gery build before that date.

As long as I continue to graze quietly with the herd and submit to my regular shearings, I'm fairly confident the Shepherd will allow me to live...here in the Free State.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Good summary, Threeband. Are you saying that O'Malley is really Honey Badger in disguise?

Drakos

Outta Control
    Dec 25, 2010
    No doubt someone will tell you to do a search for the answer!

There's a red menu bar at the top of every page. "Search" is the third pull-down from the right. You can do general searches, or advanced searches.

There is also a Search this Thread function, for individual threads.

That said, I have always been dissatisfied with the search function on this forum software. It fails to find threads and posts I know damn well are there, or returns a million useless hits.

There's a way to search MdShooters through Google, which I think works better, but I forget exactly how it's done. Perhaps someone else can explain, or at least tell us to do a search for the information.

One problem which leads to duplicate threads and repeated questions is the difficulty in stumbling on the ideal search term that will magically turn up that golden thread which answers the question. The fact that so many threads have vague, generalized, or near-meaningless titles just makes it worse.

I think it's inevitable that there will be duplicates, as well as repeated questions which some people are going to get grumpy about. It's just the nature of online forums.
    Yep, the search engine on this forum sucks...I can't blame folks for asking questions over and over again...

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Meanwhile, this thread is about the M1 Carbine,
    The Carbine has never been "Regulated" in Maryland. It has always been "cash and carry". There is no need to "register" your carbine after October 1. However, if it has a folding stock, that would put it in a banned configuration as a "copycat" (stupid, ignorant term we'll be stuck with).

For a "copycat" firearm to be banned the copycat FA has to have two of the three Maryland evil features (grenade launcher, folding stock, flash hider). The M1 carbine generally has neither flash hider nor a grenade launcher. So the folding stock (paratrooper stock) per se will not make the carbine banned unless in combination with the clamp on flash hider.
    However, with the folding stock folded, the overall length is less than 29"- which, I think, would make it banned (unless the OA length is measured with the stock unfolded).

I know I am nit picking here, just saying so others don't get confused that the folding stock of itself does not make a FA banned (except a mini-14).

As if 281 weren't vague and confusing enough.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW, there is no M1A version of the M1 Carbine. The folding stock, paratrooper version was the M1A1.

As for whether the law means with the stock folded/collapsed or unfolded/extended, it doesn't say. We will have to see how the COMAR (regulations) are written and then how MSP enforces them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom