• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Under the new Md Law is the US M1 Carbine now "Banned"? Since 90%+ of them have bayonet lugs and a "handguard" (to prevent hand burns).

Do I have to register them even tho I've owned them prior to the new law? What about the standard 15 Rd Carbine magazines?? Registration required??

TIA - Rob

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The only features that SB281 uses to ban are if your rifle has more than one of the following: folding stock (not telescoping), flash hider, and grenade launcher.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Let's not get "Lost in the Weeds"

OK..so far opinions are the M1 Carbine is NOT on the banned list and 15 round magazines currently owned PRIOR to MD's new law are OK???

Most important question is do I have to register my M1 Carbine and my Mags NOW or..what?

Rob

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    No registration of guns or mags at all. Even I it was banned, which it is not.

You can just buy the mags at a VA or PA gun show. That is where I got my 30 rounders.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    And you don't have to buy before the ban - unless you are worried about having them delivered to your house. There is no ban on possession even in the new law so you could continue to buy out of state forever.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    M1 in this configuration would be banned. Lose the FH and its ok.
    9752555_1m.jpg

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    To muddy the water, isn't the M1A banned by name?

The M1A is a commercial name for a semi auto M14 rifle. It has nothing to do with the M1 Rifle (the Garand) or M1 Carbine. The regulated list even clarifies by saying that the M1 Garand is not regulated.

(37) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3,
    SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding
    the M1 Garand

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    Can't people do a search or at least try reading other posts. I know it is easier to just ask but these questions have been asked in alot of previous posts. Stop being lazy people. :sad20:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Can't people do a search or at least try reading other posts. I know it is easier to just ask but these questions have been asked in alot of previous posts. Stop being lazy people. :sad20:

A lot of us try searches with no luck. That's why we ask the "experts" like you. Who gave no help BTW.

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    if no one asked any questions again not much would be posted. usually each duplicate post ends up sparking new ideas or discussions that the previous did not.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Most of the questions asked lately,don't have black and white answers. I understand why they get asked again;to try and clarify. We could just have just have threads about cartoon horses I guess. :rolleyes:

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    While the subject has been brought up, HOW DO YOU DO A SEARCH ON HERE? I never have, but...would like to know...:-)

Thanks for any information.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They can, but a lot of the people asking are new members, maybe we should show them how to search and welcome them to the community, as we probably need all the help we can get :)

This. If we want people to get into the shooting sports we can't beat the crap out of them when they ask questions, even though the answers may seem simple to us. We also can't assume that everyone knows how to use the search function. Not everyone lives and breathes firearms and firearms laws.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    While the subject has been brought up, HOW DO YOU DO A SEARCH ON HERE? I never have, but...would like to know...:-)

Thanks for any information.

No doubt someone will tell you to do a search for the answer!

There's a red menu bar at the top of every page. "Search" is the third pull-down from the right. You can do general searches, or advanced searches.

There is also a Search this Thread function, for individual threads.

That said, I have always been dissatisfied with the search function on this forum software. It fails to find threads and posts I know damn well are there, or returns a million useless hits.

There's a way to search MdShooters through Google, which I think works better, but I forget exactly how it's done. Perhaps someone else can explain, or at least tell us to do a search for the information.

One problem which leads to duplicate threads and repeated questions is the difficulty in stumbling on the ideal search term that will magically turn up that golden thread which answers the question. The fact that so many threads have vague, generalized, or near-meaningless titles just makes it worse.

I think it's inevitable that there will be duplicates, as well as repeated questions which some people are going to get grumpy about. It's just the nature of online forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom