• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I received credible information from an attorney today that while you may still receive regulated transactions that will be banned, Gov. OMalley is pushing that you will have to be licensed to complete the transaction and is not concerned with the wait times because of this. Huge problem!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I received credible information from an attorney today that while you may still receive regulated transactions that will be banned, Gov. OMalley is pushing that you will have to be licensed to complete the transaction and is not concerned with the wait times because of this. Huge problem!

Unless he calls for a special session to update/change SB281, he has no pull to make any changes to the bill.

Mr H

Banana'd

This doesn't make sense.

Licensure would only be for handguns. Regulated long arms were SUPPOSED to be their target!

Plus, as mentioned, changes would require a special session... and I seriously doubt they want to go up against not only the 2A supporters from before, but also a growing herd of pissed off DINOs

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    No changes to Sb281. While it stated that purchases that begin prior to oct1 may be completed after oct 1, it doesnt say y that you don't ned the license.

I haven't had the ability to look at it closely, just passing along credible info from an attorney that is working closely with all of this.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A

SB281 was changed to say

B) A DEALER OR ANY OTHER PERSON MAY NOT SELL, RENT, OR TRANSFER A REGULATED FIREARM HANDGUN TO A PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE UNLESS THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE PRESENTS TO THE DEALER OR OTHER PERSON A VALID REGULATED FIREARM HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE ISSUED TO THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE BY THE SECRETARY UNDER THIS SECTION.

As I read that, the license applies only to handguns. So yes, if you don't take possession prior to 10/1, you'll have to jump through the fingerprint and training hoops to get your handgun. But for the banned rifles, I don't think the license applies. Maybe it would apply for SBRs because of how MD law classifies them though (as a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length).

I took that text out of the enrolled version of SB281 from the MGA website: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf. It's on the top of page 27 of the pdf.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, good luck to O'Malley on that one. SB281 doesn't support that position on any of these regulated "assault weapons" as the definition is currently in effect.

The guy just does not know when to quit. Instead of doing is job (e.g., prison corrections, timely MSP background checks), he is all over the map worrying too much about his political career, the Ravens in the Super Bowl, and other nonsense.

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    I think I understand what you are saying, and yes it is an issue.

I asked my FFL the other night, what happens to someone who buys a handgun September 1, 2013, and the paperwork comes back November 1, will they have to show you a license to purchase before you can hand them the gun?

He said, If it is like the 1994 assault pistol ban then if you have your paperwork in by October 1 (In the FFL log book) then the the old rules would apply.

But it seems like that was up to interpretation by maybe MSP last time around. Couldn't they just as easily not do that this time and require the license for anyone going to pick up a handgun on Oct 1, even if you put in paperwork in August? Up to them?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Hoakie, thanks for posting that. So that takes care of the banned rifles, but for those that get caught in the delays for a handgun, it looks like they will need the license to rewrote possession after oct 1

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    SB281 was changed to say

As I read that, the license applies only to handguns. So yes, if you don't take possession prior to 10/1, you'll have to jump through the fingerprint and training hoops to get your handgun. But for the banned rifles, I don't think the license applies. Maybe it would apply for SBRs because of how MD law classifies them though (as a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length).

I took that text out of the enrolled version of SB281 from the MGA website: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf. It's on the top of page 27 of the pdf.

There are no training requirements for people who already posses a regulated firearm.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG

I'm throwing the BS flag on this. It would take a special legislative session for OM to make/ask for changes to 281 provisions. All OM can do now is sign the bill into law or refuse to sign and allow the bill to become law without his signature.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I'm throwing the BS flag on this. It would take a special legislative session for OM to make/ask for changes to 281 provisions. All OM can do now is sign the bill into law or refuse to sign and allow the bill to become law without his signature.

As I stated, it doesn't appear that this can be applied to the banned weapons as it is a "handgun" license. However, it can apply to those that purchased handguns prior to Oct 1 but don't get to pick it up until after Oct 1.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    As I stated, it doesn't appear that this can be applied to the banned weapons as it is a "handgun" license. However, it can apply to those that purchased handguns prior to Oct 1 but don't get to pick it up until after Oct 1.

When we see the documentation, I'll believe it. IMO, to many rumors, with little if any verifiable cites.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Even credible people get caught in rumors.

You ain't kidd'in.

I spread one saying you can have your background paperwork expedited.

Simply fill out the expedite form (AF4-1) and add a $15.00 fee and the FFL will submit that with your application.

It started a firestorm. Kind of funny actually.

(AF4-1)

A = April

F = Fools

4 = April

-1 = 1st day of April

Thinking about starting one for May.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    You ain't kidd'in.

Simply fill out the expedite form (AF4-1) and add a $15.00 fee and the FFL will submit that with your application.

(AF4-1)

A = April

F = Fools

4 = April

-1 = 1st day of April

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You ain't kidd'in.

(AF4-1)

A = April

F = Fools

4 = April

-1 = 1st day of April

I thought the form was an ID 10t ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members