• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Assuming the bill as currently worded just changes MD to shall issue, other than perhaps saving the state some additional legal fees, it doesn't add much incentive for any Democrat legislators to jump on and push this forward. If we get the opinion we expect in NYSRPA, it'll have the same effect and the MDSP would be bound to simply rubber stamp any claim of general self defense.
    The interesting part IMO will be what the legislature does after NYSRPA (and the current MD case at CA4) goes against the state and the legislature is adjourned? Will the legislature simply let it go shall issue or will they rush in, call a special session and re-write the law with all kinds of extra hoops thrown in?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Assuming the bill as currently worded just changes MD to shall issue, other than perhaps saving the state some additional legal fees, it doesn't add much incentive for any Democrat legislators to jump on and push this forward. If we get the opinion we expect in NYSRPA, it'll have the same effect and the MDSP would be bound to simply rubber stamp any claim of general self defense.
    The interesting part IMO will be what the legislature does after NYSRPA (and the current MD case at CA4) goes against the state and the legislature is adjourned? Will the legislature simply let it go shall issue or will they rush in, call a special session and re-write the law with all kinds of extra hoops thrown in?

I doubt they would call a special session but who knows with those whackos in office

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

The legislature can't call a special session, only the Governor can do that, after a request for one from the legislature. I doubt Fat Larry will approve a special session just to append Maryland firearms law, unless they are directed to by the federal government, much like Illinois was told to.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If the Tooth Fairy stopped by and offered me a properly worded sucuessfull Bill to make a facial , generalized desire for Self Defense to be accepted with no wiggle room , I'd tell her yes .

Is that likely to pass , or likely to be better than about to be delivered by Bruin ? Nope & Nope .

But either way , it will just really kick off the action in 2023 , and at least 5 years more .

The Imperial directives to MSP will be schizophrenic between doubling down the investigations to limit the numbers of permits , and streamlining for budget reasons .

As to TPM restrictions , look at the post Shall Issue history in North Carolina .

When first passed, the Anti's loaded in so many , that many Permit Holders would forgo carrying on a regular basis .

But over several years , the restrictions keep being removed . They saw the sky didn't fall , streets didn't run , and the growing number of Permit holders kept pressure on their representatives about the pointless hassles .

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The legislature can't call a special session, only the Governor can do that, after a request for one from the legislature. I doubt Fat Larry will approve a special session just to append Maryland firearms law, unless they are directed to by the federal government, much like Illinois was told to.

In that case we could have several months where the current system is status quo except for shall issue as opposed to may issue. The sky will not fall and putting in additional obstacles will be more difficult to defend in front of a court.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In that case we could have several months where the current system is status quo except for shall issue as opposed to may issue. The sky will not fall and putting in additional obstacles will be more difficult to defend in front of a court.

It would be closer to a year to 15 month when you consider that the ruling will be by the end of June. Session starts 6 months later in January, and any bill they pass would not take affect until the following October. So a full 16 months of potential shall issue before any change would take affect.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    It would be closer to a year to 15 month when you consider that the ruling will be by the end of June. Session starts 6 months later in January, and any bill they pass would not take affect until the following October. So a full 16 months of potential shall issue before any change would take affect.

Unless any changes pass as an "emergency" bill in the following session, and could take effect a lot sooner than that. Anybody want to place bets on whether Atterbeary and like-minded antis in the MGA would consider court-ordered imposition of Shall Issue an emergency?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Unless any changes pass as an "emergency" bill in the following session, and could take effect a lot sooner than that. Anybody want to place bets on whether Atterbeary and like-minded antis in the MGA would consider court-ordered imposition of Shall Issue an emergency?

They have to get re-elected first to worry about them, and I doubt that changing the carry laws in Maryland would equate to an emergency bill.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    They have to get re-elected first to worry about them, and I doubt that changing the carry laws in Maryland would equate to an emergency bill.
    The bills that would have shut Baltimore's "Block" down at 10pm were submitted as emergency legislation. https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Legislation/Details/hb0372?ys=2022RS

(If you're so interested, you can see the hearing on that bill here at about 7 or so minutes into the recording. The meeting as of now is still live, so I can't timestamp exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxrw6AFfBW4).

I don't doubt at all they'll try emergency legislation when the time comes. Further throwing a wrench in things is Call v. Jones, which is being held in abeyance at the 4th Circuit right now. We're in a truly interesting time.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Some of you want big steps…. However sometimes it’s better and easier to get through several smaller step pieces of legislation then one big major one.

Liberals don’t seem to fight the smaller ones as heavily as larger step legislation.

While big step legislation would be nice… let’s take what we can get with smaller steps.

Unless we show up to testify, and call our senators and congressmen. Even the small legislation won’t pass. Something is better then nothing.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Some of you want big steps…. However sometimes it’s better and easier to get through several smaller step pieces of legislation then one big major one.

Liberals don’t seem to fight the smaller ones as heavily as larger step legislation.

While big step legislation would be nice… let’s take what we can get with smaller steps.

Unless we show up to testify, and call our senators and congressmen. Even the small legislation won’t pass. Something is better then nothing.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

I have said it before, and I will continue to say it....

We lost our rights one insignificant bill at a time, and that is how we are going to get our rights back, one insignificant bill at a time.

In the mean time, we need to continue to fight the further infringements.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

I have said it before, and I will continue to say it....

We lost our rights one insignificant bill at a time, and that is how we are going to get our rights back, one insignificant bill at a time.

In the mean time, we need to continue to fight the further infringements.

So are you saying your going to ask your state rep and senator to pass this bill?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So are you saying your going to ask your state rep and senator to pass this bill?

I have never said I wouldn't ask them to, even though none of my Delegates or Senator will support this bill, I have requested they support it, if it makes it out of committee. Even though, this bill WILL NOT make Maryland shall issue as you claim in the OP, because the bill dos nothing to force MSP to alter the administrative gymnastics needed to prove personal protection.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    I have never said I wouldn't ask them to, even though none of my Delegates or Senator will support this bill, I have requested they support it, if it makes it out of committee. Even though, this bill WILL NOT make Maryland shall issue as you claim in the OP, because the bill dos nothing to force MSP to alter the administrative gymnastics needed to prove personal protection.

All a moot point even for this bill if SCOTUS writes a decent opinion in NYSPRA. MSI v Hogan is on hold pending that case. So depending on how long it takes the circuit court to issue an opinion on MSI based on NYSRPA it could have some impact.

Then again… Maryland could push the issue and try to appeal it to SCOTUS.

The circuit court won’t be able to come down as hard as they want based on

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    There's two MSI-involved cases being held: Call v Jones (Carry) and MSI v Hogan (HQL). The 4th Circuit decided to pause the HQL suit over the objections of the Attorney General.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    There's two MSI-involved cases being held: Call v Jones (Carry) and MSI v Hogan (HQL). The 4th Circuit decided to pause the HQL suit over the objections of the Attorney General.

Call v Jones case is on hold too. MSI is involved in that case too. Although one is against Jones the other is against hogan. Either way both are against the state.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland

I agree. How do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time. If we could have gotten all our members to get behind the bill to give emt's, nurses, fireman permits as assumed risk workers and this bill though neither were perfect thdy could have been motivators for future advances. In my opinion the 2A movement is where near as organized as the MOM's and other anti gun groups. If it doesn't fit us than the hell with it. Neither of these bill's would have affected me since I don't work in either of those professions and I already have a w&c but I support them both as a way of doing something positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom