• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Jul 9, 2013
    I thought I'd pass along the experience I had at The UPS Store on Annapolis Road just north of Fort Meade.

I'm up in Maryland for work and stopped in there this morning to send off an EOTech sight that's been in my truck for about a week now (sending it back as part of the big EOTech refund fiasco, today was the first chance I had to send it off). Anyway, since it was getting insured I felt that I needed to disclose what it really was when asked: a holographic weapon sight. As y'all probably guessed, the little old lady behind the counter gasped and said that she didn't think they could ship that. I asked her what firearm components were allowed to be shipped and she said "just scopes, nothing else." I explained what the item was but she acted like she needed to verify with her manager. She walked away and came back saying he had to make a call to the main office. Two weeks ago, I shipped out a few declared lower receivers for SBR engraving from a UPS Store in Virginia. The horror!

While waiting, she shares with me a delightful story about how a guy shipped a gun in the mail piece-by-piece to someone who wasn't supposed to have it and how he went on to kill a bunch of people. I tried to hide my "that's nice dear" face while I just smiled and nodded along. After a few minutes, the manager came over and said he wasn't going to be able to ship it because it's gun related - not even scopes are being shipped from his store. I politely told him I'd take my business elsewhere and wished them a good day.

Long story short: Avoid this place if you're shipping firearm parts that you are going to be declaring due to insurance or whatever.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Sounds like they don't deserve any business regardless of whether or not you are declaring for insurance.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You should have said "optics" or "machine parts". I avoid The UPS Store entirely because of said nosiness and just pay the $9 to have UPS pick up packages at my front door.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actual firearms ship from UPS depots, not storefronts.

Declaring Optical Device would have been sufficient.

Jul 9, 2013
    Guys, I originally said "it's an optic" but she questioned what that meant. After I said "the manufacturer calls it a 'holographic weapon sight'" I went on to clarify its really nothing more than aluminum and glass.

US Post Office was right down the road. I shipped it from there instead. My biggest dilemma is that I withheld business from an anti-gun establishment and instead gave money to the government. :/

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yep. The nosiness is why I stay far away from those stores. Last time I went through the drill there was for a rifle scope. I never said "rifle", just "scope". They kept asking what do you mean. I said something you look through to magnify things, like a telescope. They still kept asking questions. I had enough and left. Never again. Paying extra to have UPS pick up stuff at my front door is worth it 10x over.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    If I understand correctly, the mall storefronts are actually franchised locations. I wanted to ship a case of 9mm to my brother in advance of a nvacation trip out. Went to the UPS storefront and was told I coldn't ship a hazmat from there. I went to the depot near work and it was no problem. I suspect the issue is the storefront people aren't fully trained in all the shipping regulations. I knew UPS shipped ammo because that's how I got it from the manufacturer.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Yeah I would have just told them spare parts, auto parts, or mechanical parts something like that. Honestly sounds like you told on yourself. Its none of their business to a certain extent.

Jul 9, 2013
    I'd like to say thanks to the Monday morning quarterbacks in this thread for all the advice they've provided.

While my intent was to bring to light the fact that a particular store was anti-gun and shouldn't be patronized, it's apparent that y'all would rather educate me on how I could have skirted around the issue - even though I tried to skirt around it and they kept asking for me to clarify until they heard what they wanted and denied me service because it was an icky gun part.

I'm not quite sure why so many of y'all went the direction you did with this thread, but then again I'm not from around here so maybe gun owners are just different in the north.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'd like to say thanks to the Monday morning quarterbacks in this thread for all the advice they've provided.

While my intent was to bring to light the fact that a particular store was anti-gun and shouldn't be patronized, it's apparent that y'all would rather educate me on how I could have skirted around the issue - even though I tried to skirt around it and they kept asking for me to clarify until they heard what they wanted and denied me service because it was an icky gun part.

I'm not quite sure why so many of y'all went the direction you did with this thread, but then again I'm not from around here so maybe gun owners are just different in the north.

We're acclimated to our surroundings. Try 10 other UPS stored in the Baltimore/DC metro area and use the same wording and you'll probably be turned away 8 or 9 times.

Jul 9, 2013
    We're acclimated to our surroundings. Try 10 other UPS stored in the Baltimore/DC metro area and use the same wording and you'll probably be turned away 8 or 9 times.

Does that mean you've given up on trying to make gun ownership appear to be the norm so that people are less scared and stop putting up 'no guns allowed' signs and whatever else nonsense that scared people do?

I started this thread in the Maryland 2A Issues section to discuss Maryland 2A issues, not for a lesson on what I should have said....after I said what y'all said I should have said.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I choose my battles. The war is not going to be won or even remotely affected in a ups store...

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i usually avoid any of the "stores" and go to one of the hub facilities.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Does that mean you've given up on trying to make gun ownership appear to be the norm so that people are less scared and stop putting up 'no guns allowed' signs and whatever else nonsense that scared people do?

You'll be doing nothing but punching at air by confronting store owners in the Balt/DC corridor. If you want serious change, it starts by getting the right people elected in Annapolis. Complaining loud and often to the leftists already there is almost useless. Until the GA gets cleaned out, however unlikely it seems now, the crap you're encountering will remain the norm and then some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom