• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I have an ar15 that was purchased as an hbar. The lower is marked cal223/5.56. I am curious if it is legal to install a .300BO, 6.8spc or 450 bushmaster, etc upper/barrel onto the lower mentioned?? I've tried googling on this site ( as it'd be more accurate I'd think, since this site deals with Maryland laws/residents ) with no luck. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You can even put a 50 bmg upper on your lower and you would still be legal. You are good to go.

Congrats!

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    You can even put a 50 bmg upper on your lower and you would still be legal. You are good to go.

Congrats!

I've really been eyeing up the 50 Beowulf. I'm thinking it'd be great for deer in the thickets. I rarely get a shot over a 100 yards. Usually closer. In the end, I think my choice will be determined by availability. Thanks for your help.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've really been eyeing up the 50 Beowulf. I'm thinking it'd be great for deer in the thickets. I rarely get a shot over a 100 yards. Usually closer. In the end, I think my choice will be determined by availability. Thanks for your help.

I'm waiting on my stamp to build a SBR in 50 Beowulf. It's now in a pistol configuration. It's not pleasant to shoot this way. I think it's a great round. I sold my 16" 50 Beowulf upper when I got the 10.5" upper. They are available and not ridiculously expensive. Cabelas has the best deal on the ammo.

If they can take down wild boar, deer shouldn't be a problem. They are very close to 45/70 ballistics.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    My dad has been using a 45/70 for quite a few years. After seeing the effectiveness of that round, I'm sold on it. It's pretty unreal from what I've seen. From his description of what happens at the time of the shot, it means business lol. I'd imagine an sbr in that caliber would be very intense lol. The only sbr I have shot was a 300bo, belonging to a member here. I found it very fun to say the least lol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you specifically want to duplicate .45-70, .458SOCOM will do exactly that.

Not to say .50Beowulf isn't a fine cal also. Shooting/ hunting partner #2 has one, that replaced his previous upper in .50AE ( prior to introduction of Beowulf). I've shot it, and he reports fine sucuess on his local Bambis.

The .458 and the Beowulf use similar range of bullet weights, at more or less same velocity ranges. For any given bullet weight, the .458 will have higher Sectional Density . Meaning deeper penetration, and comparitively flatter trajectory.

Of course, either will easily completely penetrate any deer, and both are considered short range, rainbow like trajectories by standards of "normal" modern ctgs. So the relative advantages are the stuff of good natured debate involving campfires and distilled Kentucky beverage. Kind of like debating the relative merits of my .45Colt Ruger Bisley with 320gr handloads vs his .50 Desert Eagle.

Meanwhile, for a deer/ boar upper ( for states requiring .23cal & up ) , I recently had a deal I couldn't pass up on a 7.62x39 . BIG bore AR is interesting, but back burner ( Marlin .45-70 kinda overlaps into that niche).

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Also interested in the .458SOCOM. I was looking on arfcom and watching some YouTube videos. Some videos compared the two. From what I have read and seen, either would be a great choice. At that point, it'd come down to availability and price. I'd be happy with either. I remember reading the ammo for the 50 is around 30 bucks for 20 rounds. A little high price wise compared to what I usually spend on deer ammo ( .308 ), but then again, it wouldn't be something I'd always use for play or range shooting. I've been using the same box of ammo for years as it only gets shot when I see horns lol.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Also interested in the .458SOCOM. I was looking on arfcom and watching some YouTube videos. Some videos compared the two. From what I have read and seen, either would be a great choice. At that point, it'd come down to availability and price. I'd be happy with either. I remember reading the ammo for the 50 is around 30 bucks for 20 rounds. A little high price wise compared to what I usually spend on deer ammo ( .308 ), but then again, it wouldn't be something I'd always use for play or range shooting. I've been using the same box of ammo for years as it only gets shot when I see horns lol.

Cabelas sells 50 Beowulf for as cheap as $24.99/20. Many times they will have free shipping on orders of $99 or more. I usually buy 4 or 5 boxes, so there is no shipping charges.

PSA sells Magtech 308 M80 ammo for $24.99/50. Probably not the best ammo to use for hunting, but okay for practice and plinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom