Upgrade to Turret? Or Progressive? Or Not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I'm reloading .45LC on a single stage Lee Challenger press. OK, it's a pair of Challenger presses after I inherited one from a neighbor.
    While I have the dies for some 7.5 Swiss brass that I will reload next month, it's primarily .45LC.

The other day I produced 200 rounds in about 2.5 hours and 100 rounds the next day. It's certainly doable.

But lately I've been looking at the Lee turret press, wondering if it would be easier and faster. I've half a thought for a progressive press, but I'm probably at 200-300 rounds at a time ever month or two.

Is a turret better?
    I'm still looking at Lee as they've been berra berra good to me. Incredibly better options?

Is it worth looking at a progressive for the quantities I'm looking at?

Thanks!

I'm reloading .45LC on a single stage Lee Challenger press. OK, it's a pair of Challenger presses after I inherited one from a neighbor.
    While I have the dies for some 7.5 Swiss brass that I will reload next month, it's primarily .45LC.

The other day I produced 200 rounds in about 2.5 hours and 100 rounds the next day. It's certainly doable.

But lately I've been looking at the Lee turret press, wondering if it would be easier and faster. I've half a thought for a progressive press, but I'm probably at 200-300 rounds at a time ever month or two.

Is a turret better?
    I'm still looking at Lee as they've been berra berra good to me. Incredibly better options?

Is it worth looking at a progressive for the quantities I'm looking at?

Thanks!
    Turret will make things easier and faster. For that volume, I would pass on a true progressive.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    All about how you value your time. If you are OK with current production rate, no change needed. If you upgrade, buy a dillon. A 550 is very easy to use and not an auto index unit. The 750 is what most of us go with and it auto indexes.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    With experience, you should be able to knock out 200 per hour with a Lee classic turret press.

Another advantage is quickly switching between multiple calibers - just buy a turret for each (for $10 or so) and leave the dies set up. Drop in the already set up turret, switch to the corresponding shell holder, and you're ready to go.

One of these should speed reloading up a little, too:

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Been using a Lee turret for over 12 years and have never had issues. Use it on .45 Colt; ACP; 9mm and .223. Takes minutes to change calibers. For range fodder I use an on press powder measure. Hand measure for defense loads.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I don't think you can go too wrong with a turret, but I went from a Lee Challenger to a Hornday progressive, and never looked back. The Lee still has it's place on my bench, but I mostly use the AP.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    As mentioned "time" and your value of time turrets work nice, so do progressive presses..
    What your real needs are and where you will be at down the road.
    A turret will be a nice addition, for the amount you plan on reloading, and if your plan is to reload more quanity, then a progressive. So if your looking for more production / quantity, less time then a progressive.
    I'll be honest I don't own any Lee presses other than the APP. Nor a Dillion 750, 1050.

What your gonna find is most are gonna say "Dillon". But a Hornady LNL-AP will do just the same even the LEE will work, know people who really like their LEE's. They all need tuning, they all have quirks and they all have their followers.

Just some thoughts

-Rock

Last edited:

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    From my personal experience, I started with a lee 3 hole turret and I knew I needed a progressive to reload the quantities I needed to not wind up with a diminishing return every single time I go to the range.

I always stuck with lee progressives, from the Lee breech lock pro and the loadmaster because they were cheap and worked fine when you excluded the primer systems and primed off the press. I then upgraded to the lee six pack pro progressive press and I am a happy camper that the priming system is actually good. I still keep my turret press around for 5-10 one off loadings, but I switch to the progressive to really crank them out with a load that I like, fill up a 30 cal or two, and move on with other calibers to stock on.

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom