• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Yep, just wait until the LGS doesn't stock ANY inventory because nobody buys anything in store anymore. They just open to conduct transfers from online sales. Guess how much transfers will be then, when that's their only source of income. And since there will be fewer of them, less competition=more higher fees.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Not bashing anybody for trying to save as much money as they can. Nobody should run around just throwing their cash in the air (unless you're standing by me ;) ). Big if, but if I owned a store, I'd have to price my inventory at a level that would pay the bills and allow me some profit to both grow my business and support my family. A certain items' price would reflect that goal. I'd hope it would be competitive with other dealers and online shops, but there's no way to come close in price to Bud's or some others that go through a zillion times more inventory than I do. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT transfer in any gun for any fee that I could get or I already had in stock because somebody's trying to save $30. Transfers would only be for something I could not get and/or was discontinued and THEN the transfer fee would be reasonable. You say take your $25 or nothing? Seeing how you value MY business, well I wouldn't value yours either. JMO though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As I have said before, build a relationship with your LGS.

I was picking up a transfer today (no longer made, so bought off GB), and asked about a current production pistol price.

Their price was, even with tax, less than buying off GB, shipping, plus transfer. So I give them the business I can, and they make more off the transaction. And they will be there when I need them for transfers.

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    There will ALWAYS B Pawn Shops to do transfers. LGS play the game to buy from them and some that use Auction Sites to move the hard to get items (22 LR Ammo) and other "Flavor of the Month" guns to get top $$ but want us to buy the " Left Hand Gobbly Goops" that there distributers forced them to buy to get the "Hot" items

It is called "Free Enterprise" it is my $$$$ and I spend it where and when I decide.

Jim

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    While there are some shops that charge fees out of line, if you don't support your local shops, there will not be there to transfer you in the future.

They don't get my business now. Why? Because the pawn shop does transfers. A local gun store in DE charges 15 dollars person to person and 20 dollars from online. They will be getting my business now because they undercut the pawn shops. That is how you win. I have known FFLs who do nothing but transfers. I specifically remember a guy in Ohio whose shop was totally empty. He stayed in business by doing transfers and driving over the border to the wheeling, wv, Cabellas and bringing pistols back for lawful transfer to Ohio residents.

Want to know how to make money hand over fist? The secondhand market. Studies show the pawn/ thrift business is booming, and growing. There is a huge market for used guns. Where do you get them? The same place I do. Gunbroker, estate auctions, and people looking to cash in their guns. Pay 20 bucks more than the pawn shops do. Lower your profit margins and focus on volume of sales over individualized profit per item.

No one cares if you are a certified glock or ruger dealer. Just sell the guns. Stop the 25% markups. Stop stockpiling new guns. Carry what sells fast and keep that in stock. Don't stock piles of oddball calibers and doodads. There is no way your dusty ass box of 7.98 shuboodle is turning you a profit. But it is taking up space in your store. Buy bulk from online like everyone else. Offer what wal-mart doesn't, without going overboard.

Your entire inventory should turn every 6 months, if not, you are warehousing it for nothing. Are scopes really that profitable for you? You can't compete with the online accessory market, so don't try. If I see a 55 dollar item for 65 dollars, I will probably order it online. Why? because I will probably get it for 45 shipped.

Believe it or not, the majority of the guns I bought this year were from stores. Almost exclusively from pawn shops that had great deals. The moral of the story is to have great deals. No one wants to pay sticker anymore. If I can get them cheaper than you, then you need to work harder than me.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    They don't get my business now. Why? Because the pawn shop does transfers. A local gun store in DE charges 15 dollars person to person and 20 dollars from online. They will be getting my business now because they undercut the pawn shops. That is how you win. I have known FFLs who do nothing but transfers. I specifically remember a guy in Ohio whose shop was totally empty. He stayed in business by doing transfers and driving over the border to the wheeling, wv, Cabellas and bringing pistols back for lawful transfer to Ohio residents.

Want to know how to make money hand over fist? The secondhand market. Studies show the pawn/ thrift business is booming, and growing. There is a huge market for used guns. Where do you get them? The same place I do. Gunbroker, estate auctions, and people looking to cash in their guns. Pay 20 bucks more than the pawn shops do. Lower your profit margins and focus on volume of sales over individualized profit per item.

No one cares if you are a certified glock or ruger dealer. Just sell the guns. Stop the 25% markups. Stop stockpiling new guns. Carry what sells fast and keep that in stock. Don't stock piles of oddball calibers and doodads. There is no way your dusty ass box of 7.98 shuboodle is turning you a profit. But it is taking up space in your store. Buy bulk from online like everyone else. Offer what wal-mart doesn't, without going overboard.

Your entire inventory should turn every 6 months, if not, you are warehousing it for nothing. Are scopes really that profitable for you? You can't compete with the online accessory market, so don't try. If I see a 55 dollar item for 65 dollars, I will probably order it online. Why? because I will probably get it for 45 shipped.

Believe it or not, the majority of the guns I bought this year were from stores. Almost exclusively from pawn shops that had great deals. The moral of the story is to have great deals. No one wants to pay sticker anymore. If I can get them cheaper than you, then you need to work harder than me.

:clap:

pen

Sep 15, 2015
    Carroll county
    After my trusted FFL guy retired and my secondary go-to guy got out of the business I was in need of a FFL for a rifle transfer. That being said, I never understood the rationale for LGS to refuse a transfer on something they stock. Case in point, I recently picked up an IWI Galil Ace in the 308 flavor.

I went through IWI’s IOP program and a certain shop in AA county wouldn’t do the transfer because they wanted to sell me one they had in stock that would have costed me another 200+ the tax and transfer.

I found a small Mom and Pop in Taneytown that completed the transfer for 25.00. I reciprocated by spending another 150.00 ish in their store. I knew when the package arrived through tracking and was at the store 20 minutes after notification of delivery. Another 20 minutes with the paperwork, phone call and shopping and I was out the door.

I am all for free market enterprise, but rationalizing not completing a transfer and potential ancillary sales due the associated costs of a building, heat, employee into a 50.00+ fee is ridiculous to say the least and a bad business model.

LGS’s that engage in this kind of business practice may or may not be in business for long, but they certainly won’t get my money, like the LGS in AA county.
    Additionally, the rifle wasn’t taken out and played with or had items remove from the box like a quick release sling mount. (Another story and another rifle).

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    There will ALWAYS B Pawn Shops to do transfers. LGS play the game to buy from them and some that use Auction Sites to move the hard to get items (22 LR Ammo) and other "Flavor of the Month" guns to get top $$ but want us to buy the " Left Hand Gobbly Goops" that there distributers forced them to buy to get the "Hot" items

It is called "Free Enterprise" it is my $$$$ and I spend it where and when I decide.

Jim

I think there's a lot of wisdom here. Used inventory is THE way to go; new stuff is way too high in general. And I tend to forget pawn shops as an outlet. Mostly because the only pawn shops that fool with guns around here is Crazie Louie's and if you've ever seen their selection, you'd never buy a gun from them.

They don't sell handguns, but if somebody sells or pawns one to them, the employees buy them from the shop at cost and have a local FFL transfer it to them. The pistol never sees the shelf. Long guns, every one, looks like it was shot to death, dropped in the Bay, fished out 2 years later, and then sold to the pawn store for sale. Rusty, broken, missing parts, mostly single shot shotguns, old POS foreign service rifles with mismatched and missing parts.

I really envy those of you with pawn shops like Baltimore's Best Pawn and others that carry quality used stuff. Couple decent pawn shops in DE with good selection, but the I'd have to transfer in handguns, losing any real savings.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I think there's a lot of wisdom here. Used inventory is THE way to go; new stuff is way too high in general. And I tend to forget pawn shops as an outlet. Mostly because the only pawn shops that fool with guns around here is Crazie Louie's and if you've ever seen their selection, you'd never buy a gun from them.

They don't sell handguns, but if somebody sells or pawns one to them, the employees buy them from the shop at cost and have a local FFL transfer it to them. The pistol never sees the shelf. Long guns, every one, looks like it was shot to death, dropped in the Bay, fished out 2 years later, and then sold to the pawn store for sale. Rusty, broken, missing parts, mostly single shot shotguns, old POS foreign service rifles with mismatched and missing parts.

I really envy those of you with pawn shops like Baltimore's Best Pawn and others that carry quality used stuff. Couple decent pawn shops in DE with good selection, but the I'd have to transfer in handguns, losing any real savings.

Bisley, I'm local. Let me tell you a secret about crazie louies. There are no less than 10 people who call in every single day and ask the inventory. They hear a good gun is coming out today and they are waiting for it. I have bought several brand new condition, steel buttplate, 10/22s from them for 150 each. I consistently find Mossberg 500s there for 150 each. But the inventory flips very quickly, often same day if it is a good enough gun for the right price. They also bring in new guns, which don't move because they value them too high. They also have managers who will sit on a rusted dum dum gun forever for no other reason than to have something on the shelf. They are not perfect, but I remember walking in just to kill some time and walking out with a minty Norinco SKS for 200. No doubt employees buy the cream of the crop, but I would too if I worked there.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

So, if you can make so much money, where is your pawn shop?

Long guns or out of MD, transfers should not be that much, but in MD with the 77r, more work, more cost. Although the online 77r may cut that a bit, as there is a bit less work.

I agree, it a $55 item is at $65, I will not buy it from that shop. But if that $55 item is $55, and $45 online, I will likely buy from the shop. Why? I get it now, no shipping (yes, not all online transactions charge shipping), I get to see an handle it, and don't mind a bit more to keep the shop open.

If you think the local gun shops are making 25% on every sale, you have never owned a business.

WRT inventory turning over every 6 months, that is great, but how do you stock only those things that will sell within 6 months? Is your crystal ball that good? If you can do this, DO open a shop, as you will make lots of money.

BTW, my go to LGS, IS a pawn shop also. :)

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Bisley, I'm local. Let me tell you a secret about crazie louies. There are no less than 10 people who call in every single day and ask the inventory. They hear a good gun is coming out today and they are waiting for it. I have bought several brand new condition, steel buttplate, 10/22s from them for 150 each. I consistently find Mossberg 500s there for 150 each. But the inventory flips very quickly, often same day if it is a good enough gun for the right price. They also bring in new guns, which don't move because they value them too high. They also have managers who will sit on a rusted dum dum gun forever for no other reason than to have something on the shelf. They are not perfect, but I remember walking in just to kill some time and walking out with a minty Norinco SKS for 200. No doubt employees buy the cream of the crop, but I would too if I worked there.

I've never seen a decent gun in either of their shops. I didn't know all the back story. The only reason I know about the handguns is because the FFL they use to transfer the pistols to the employees told me.

That said, I've only seen pics of BBPs inventory, never been there. WOW is all I can say; love to have a shop like that around here. But could you imagine Crazy Louie's selling Les Baer and Nighthawk? Or even decent Windhams and Colts? Me either.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I've never seen a decent gun in either of their shops. I didn't know all the back story. The only reason I know about the handguns is because the FFL they use to transfer the pistols to the employees told me.

That said, I've only seen pics of BBPs inventory, never been there. WOW is all I can say; love to have a shop like that around here. But could you imagine Crazy Louie's selling Les Baer and Nighthawk? Or even decent Windhams and Colts? Me either.

Interesting story, they used to sell more tactical/ home defense rifles. Salisbury PD kept tracing criminally used hi point carbines back to the store. The main manager kinda pussed out and now only sells hunting and similar type guns. It's dumb and of poor business sense, but you can tell when a ruby red comes through just to buy a pump shotgun that this would be an ongoing problem. They have a remington 700 tactical in a magpul stock at the north store right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom