• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Anyone here ever ordered one of Widener's unpeened K98's before? They have them in stock for $439 in "very good" condition.

I have a K98 with very little overall wear and mint barrel that I just cannot bring myself to shoot. Was looking for a nice shooter without the Russian peening. $439 seems steep unless they are really nice.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Seems high compared to a few years ago but the RC K98s have been jumping up in value a lot in the past 2 years. One of the online vendors (classic?) was selling a lot in the $500-600+ range if I remember right. I'd say now is the time to get them if the price is right, especially unpeened ones. I wish I had bought some but I'd sure want to hand pick it myself though.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I paid $329 for a nice un-peened RC K98 from Dan's ammo in 2011, so $439 doesn't seem all that steep considering the current pricing trends of all firearm related products these days.

91f7ca0e-95bf-406b-b15f-6facf15dca21_zps97578374.jpg

Mauser9_zpsf3670510.jpg

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Funny, you guys are saying what I am thinking. It seems a bit high, and I would prefer to handpick. 8mm ammo is also getting much more expensive. That said, I am worried the price only goes up from here.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Your K98 cleaned up nice. The stock has nice grain and the metal appears to be in great shape.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Funny, you guys are saying what I am thinking. It seems a bit high, and I would prefer to handpick. 8mm ammo is also getting much more expensive. That said, I am worried the price only goes up from here.

Yep. I think that this price is high, when compared to yesterday, but it's probably still a good investment if you are thinking long-term.

Although it's high, 8mm is still available, and it can be gotten in reloadable brass. Realistically, I don't think that a Mauser is what the average person is going to take to the range to shoot all day anyway.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-8mm-mauser-sellier-bellot-196gr-soft-point-ammo/cName/8mm-mauser-soft-point

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Given current pricing thats not bad if truly unpeened and the bore is good. K98's have gone up and Yugo's are cresting $300 now.

That said be very wary of Wideners guns, they have a habit of overgrading and a lot of people havent been happy with the conditions.

I got semi-bit a couple months ago, after quite a few beers I impulse bought a Beretta Cougar .45 from them made in italy (not Stoeger). Get it, box says US model flip it over and it has a nice PWArms import stamp on it. Brand new, and I am sure there is some weird story, and I actually like the feel of the gun and it wasnt priced super bad I just wish they would have mentioned a third party importer was involved.

Plus most of their stuff comes in from PW which has an awful habit of defacing guns (really its like a freaking billboard). At least the monkeys at Century are somewhat discrete in their markings using a small font under the barrel (almost unreadable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom