understand both sides of every incident.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    say you witnessed a minor rear-end accident at an intersection. occupant of car hit (car1) is male and about 50 years old, and the person who rear-ended the car (car2) is female, well up into the 80's. car1 is an older SUV, car2 is a brand new cadillac coupe. the male exits his car and looks at the potential damage to both vehicles and then walks over to the female occupant car. after about two minutes, the female figures out how to roll the window down and simply states "i am so sorry. this has been a horrible day. do me a favor, my hearing aid batteries are dead, can you please yell at me so i can hear you?" at a distance you may have not heard that exchange. so then you see the guy opening the door to the females car, all the while yelling at her. she hands him her BIG ASSED purse and he decides to thumb through it. he then puts the purse on top of the car and continues to yell at the poor old lady, handing her the purse, until she drove away.

opinions? you'll get the full account in a couple days, just what would you do if you saw something like this?

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Start filming with my cellphone. :sarcasm:

Sad but true answer for many these days. Nothing wrong with asking if someone is alright.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Always approach calm, cool and collected. You can always ramp up an encounter. It is terribly difficult to calm one down.

From the outside, this is not a purse snatch or robbery. Look at the players. Look at the situation. Why would he have stolen a purse only to rifle through it there...

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I think the body language would be totally different between someone trying to make themself heard versus berating and/or mugging an old lady.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    At the point where she says she couldn't hear me, looking at all the the things that could go wrong, I'd have called for Police assistance...

Let the Police Officer work things out...

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    At the point where she says she couldn't hear me, looking at all the the things that could go wrong, I'd have called for Police assistance...

Let the Police Officer work things out...

This. Or rather than yelling, write things down and have your conversation that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Observe the situation, write down tag numbers. It not being any of my business I would do nothing if there were no physical altercations observed or the old lady was not in distress, which from the description it doesn't seem she is.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Observe the situation, write down tag numbers. It not being any of my business I would do nothing if there were no physical altercations observed or the old lady was not in distress, which from the description it doesn't seem she is.

Comon' man! This is MDS. We NEED to get involved and take care of the situation! (hopefully while armed). :D

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009

best answer yet.

:thumbsup:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    this incident happened to me the other day. at the time, i was carrying, and at the time, i thought how horrible this looked, and i wondered who would intervene. sadly, no one else got out of their car to inquire or ASSIST if necessary. matter of fact, when the light turned green, everyone "floored it" to get through the light.

and there i stood, trying to indicate to the woman we should get out of the flow of traffic and to follow me to the closest parking lot to exchange information.

personally, if i were witness to an incident like this, i would have become involved simply out of the concern someone who may need assistance. not only that, but the decibels i personally reached in trying to communicate with her, were pretty high, and as an "outsider" i would have been interested in why the loud verbiage--albeit, never out of hostility.

the reason I HAD TO LOOK THROUGH HER PURSE, she had forgotten her glasses and couldn't see what she was looking for.

:smoke:

i guess you could say I, TAUGHT ME, A LESSON.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I witnessed you (almost?) get hit backing out of a parking spot at one of the meet-ups. You get in a lot of accidents?

I suspected it was you. Here's my quarterbacking: I wouldn't have gone through her purse, too many things could go wrong. Maybe if it were an emergency, and she needed you to find her inhaler or something. I also wouldn't have yelled; again unless emergency. You could have just waited for the police, or spoken in her ear. Yelling, even legitimately gets people excited. If it was really minor, you could have just given here your contact and insurance info and left. I wouldn't leave if she was disoriented or in any danger. If situation were different, let's say the people were belligerent and/or aggressive, I would leave. There have been people attacked when they accidentally hit a child and got out to check on the kid. Neighbors attacked the driver. You can legally flee scene for your safety, but you better be calling the police and stop as soon as you are a safe distance away.

Thanks for sharing the story, and being armed didn't change anything. Would have been squirrelly if someone approached thinking you were robbing her; this is where you wanted the conversation to go right? If this had happened, I probably would have surrendered to the good samaration, and try to calmly explain the situation. It would look odd an may be a challenge, but hopefully anyone bold enough to intervene would also be mature enough to figure it out quickly.

Don't live so dangerously. :)

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    BINGO!!! minuteman hit the finish line. ~>Thanks for sharing the story, and being armed didn't change anything. Would have been squirrelly if someone approached thinking you were robbing her; this is where you wanted the conversation to go right? If this had happened, I probably would have surrendered to the good samaration, and try to calmly explain the situation. It would look odd an may be a challenge, but hopefully anyone bold enough to intervene would also be mature enough to figure it out quickly. <<~~~

keeping calm is the order in which i conduct myself, however, if two fellas jumped out of their car with bludgeoning instruments in hand looking to avenge this lady...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom