Under the current law and the new law, can my wife use my guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    Sorry if this has been answered before...I've been searching for a hour and can't get a clear answer.

I own a few regulated firearms. 1) Can my wife take them to the range without me? 2) Can she use my guns to defend herself and the family in the event of a home invasion?

Also, if you have a source, I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Ghostrider1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2009
    The PGC
    I can't say what the law will be regarding HQL's and loans, but I can say that atleast for me, home invasion= all bets are off. I'll deal with the law later after my family is safe.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not clear from the law.

It does allow rental, as long as they do not leave the property of the owner. So she could use them in the house.

But to the range without you, it depends on how the final regulations are worded and then how the MSP will enforce them.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Do a search on forums, (I can't find it right now) but there is a .pdf of a finding from the SA that family members will still be able to use your firearms without needing an HQL.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Anybody who lives in your house that's not prohibited can use your guns for home defense.

Assuming she's not prohibited, with your permission, your wife can bring your guns to the range as often as she wishes. Nothing in current law or SB281 prevents it.

For clarity, HQL has nothing whatsoever to do with guns you own. HQL only applies to the regulated purchasing process itself, not subsequent (or prior) ownership and usage.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Anybody who lives in your house that's not prohibited can use your guns for home defense.

Assuming she's not prohibited, with your permission, your wife can bring your guns to the range as often as she wishes. Nothing in current law or SB281 prevents it.

For clarity, HQL has nothing whatsoever to do with guns you own. HQL only applies to the regulated purchasing process itself, not subsequent (or prior) ownership and usage.

not so sure about that See http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2583572&postcount=7

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Sorry if this has been answered before...I've been searching for a hour and can't get a clear answer.

I own a few regulated firearms. 1) Can my wife take them to the range without me? 2) Can she use my guns to defend herself and the family in the event of a home invasion?

Also, if you have a source, I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Have her take the online safety course. www.mdgunsafety.com

Take her to either purchase or transfer one of your handguns to her name.

This will exempt her from the training portion of the HQL and she will be more than good to go. This way if she does want to purchase another one after Oct. 1 she won't have to go through the training part.

In doing the above she will have already purchased a regulated firearm and will be more than qualified to use any in the home. You don't have to do this but, it wouldn't hurt. A transfer at the State Police is $10

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I can hardly believe we even need to have this question . . . truly Absurdistan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom