• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    So I shot in what will most likely be the last skeet tournament of the season this weekend at Loch Raven - 12 gauge doubles on Friday and 28 gauge and .410 singles on both Saturday and Sunday. This was my first attempt at shooting the sub-gauges. I've only shot 12 & 20 this season as it's what I own.

I used a borrowed Browning Citori XS with 28 & 410 tubes this weekend. I shot it pretty well, but it's not like shooting your own gun. My Caesar Guerini is currently at Briley having ultralite tubes made in 28 & .410. Should have it back in a month or so...I hope. Also having an Americase made to put it all in.

So after shooting 200 targets with 28 gauge and 200 targets with .410 bore I can say without much doubt that I'm hooked. A ton of fun. But, holy shit, this is expensive. Used about $200 in shells. :wtf: So now I'm looking at reloaders.

This never ends does it? Tell me I'm not the only one with this sickness.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    So I shot in what will most likely be the last skeet tournament of the season this weekend at Loch Raven - 12 gauge doubles on Friday and 28 gauge and .410 singles on both Saturday and Sunday. This was my first attempt at shooting the sub-gauges. I've only shot 12 & 20 this season as it's what I own.

I used a borrowed Browning Citori XS with 28 & 410 tubes this weekend. I shot it pretty well, but it's not like shooting your own gun. My Caesar Guerini is currently at Briley having ultralite tubes made in 28 & .410. Should have it back in a month or so...I hope. Also having an Americase made to put it all in.

So after shooting 200 targets with 28 gauge and 200 targets with .410 bore I can say without much doubt that I'm hooked. A ton of fun. But, holy shit, this is expensive. Used about $200 in shells. :wtf: So now I'm looking at reloaders.

This never ends does it? Tell me I'm not the only one with this sickness.

667.jpg

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I was just pondering a CG (Summit sporting) fitted with Kolar tubes. Can't justify the extra expense for something that I won't likely use all that much (especially the .410's)

I need to concentrate on more consistency with the standard gauges first. It's great to see guys breaking them with shells that look like a cigarette!

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    well you are correct its an addiction. once you come to understand the 28 ga is the finest shot shell ever made.

welcome to the dark side side the cookies are great!

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    How did you do with the .410? I've only shot trap with one once and didn't hit squat (9/25?) Then again, I'm only a ~20/25 shooter, anyway.

Well, I was using a borrowed gun. And while quite nice the LOP was a bit short and the comb low. I was expending a lot of effort fighting the gun - i.e. trying to keep my head down on the stock and keeping in a position so my eye line was down the rib. It was also my first time shooting sub-gauges in a tournament (you don't know how you really shoot until there's a referee with a clipboard standing next to you), and it was windy as hell on Saturday.

Anyway, with all those excuses out of the way :innocent0, shooting 28 gauge I shot an 85/100 on Saturday and a 93/100 on Sunday. In .410 I shot 78/100 on Saturday and 79/100 on Sunday.

The .410 numbers are low, even though I placed in my class with those scores, but I was pretty pleased being it was my first real experience with .410. It's amazing what a mind fvck it is. Everyone tells you, and they're right, that you SHOOT IT JUST LIKE 12 GAUGE. The leads are exactly the same, the gun swing is the same, everything. Yeah, right. :sad20: You find yourself measuring the leads instead of just doing what you always do and just pull the damn trigger.

My friends, and squad mates, pretty much practice with .410 most of the time claiming that "if you can hit 'em with .410, you can hit 'em with 12 gauge." I'm really looking forward to getting my CG back and shooting .410 with my own gun.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I've got one of the new Ithaca Model 37 28 gauge pump guns, man that is one fun little gun to shoot and that little 28 hits hard, Unless its a really far away bird I do as well on the sporting course as when i use the 12's. One of these days I'm going to pick up a 28 ga over under.
    I did buy a used Mec 650 so reload 28 for pretty cheap, reloading really is the way to go with the sub-gauge's.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I've got one of the new Ithaca Model 37 28 gauge pump guns, man that is one fun little gun to shoot and that little 28 hits hard, Unless its a really far away bird I do as well on the sporting course as when i use the 12's. One of these days I'm going to pick up a 28 ga over under.
    I did buy a used Mec 650 so reload 28 for pretty cheap, reloading really is the way to go with the sub-gauge's.

I have actually considered getting tubes for my Impact (12ga) but after shooting my little Beretta 20, I decided that if I go sub gauges, for me it would have to be on a smaller frame. Not a12 gauge frame.

Augie: You need the CG 20/28 combo:innocent0
    Then you only have to buy one set of tubes.:D

Jack Bart got the Cambridge guys to put an Impact rib on a 28 ga sporting barrel on an Impact 20 gauge frame.
    He's going to show it to me when he gets it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom