• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I grabbed my SAA clone out of the safe today since I handed messed with it in a few weeks. (haven't shot nearly enough this year). And I noticed the cylinder has some significant play in it when the hammer is down. Upon locking the hammer all the way back, the action is tight and normal, but after dropping the hammer the cylinder retains play. It almost wiggles as I handle the pistol. What the heck? Last time it was fired was on Independence day and I put maybe 15 rounds through it.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Front to back or side to side?

Did you remember to install the front base pin/gas bushing?

The bolt spring may need to be replaced.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Whatever direction you move it, it will just stay where you left it. No return.

The last time you "messed with it", did you break it down and then reassemble it? I'm thinking the spring on the cylinder pawl might be broken or out of place. Also check if the cylinder bolt stop is staying in place as the hammer comes down - most likely it is, but looking can't hurt.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Also check if the cylinder bolt stop is staying in place as the hammer comes down - most likely it is, but looking can't hurt.

In the first position, with the hammer down, there may be play is side to side movement, but the cylinder should not rotate. Nor should it rotate when the hammer is all the way back.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Yea I've been taking it down and putting it back together and it's still goofy.

The cylinder now actually rotates when the hammer is all the way back. Uh oh

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Yea I've been taking it down and putting it back together and it's still goofy.

The cylinder now actually rotates when the hammer is all the way back. Uh oh

You mean it rotates all the way around? You have cylinder stop bolt problems. Make sure the two finger spring is right side up and the end of the bolt isn't caught on something inside the frame.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    You mean it rotates all the way around? You have cylinder stop bolt problems. Make sure the two finger spring is right side up and the end of the bolt isn't caught on something inside the frame.

Easy to replace. Take the grips and the grip frame off. Take off the bottom trigger guard.

One screw to remove the stop bolt spring.

You likely need this part:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...ring-colt-saa-emf-uberti-and-clones-wire-type

or

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...ring-colt-saa-emf-uberti-and-clones-flat-type

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    im so irritated. uberti uses the shittiest quality screws ive ever seen. they are so SOFT. im working on this pistol right now to see what i need to order to fix it. im highly pissed

DEFINITELY the last uberti product ill ever purchase. the screws SHRED themselvs under the tiniest bit of pressure. next time ill be getting a Colt...seriously. these screws are like soft lead. can i get repacement screws made in the USA or soemthing for it?

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

im using the same tools ive used my whole life and ive never had screws this shitty. i guess im SCREWED because i cant get them out, the metal just flakes off like pie crust. any solution for getting them out?

im ready to just take this thing to a pro to fix. i used to love this gun..

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

im using the same tools ive used my whole life and ive never had screws this shitty. i guess im SCREWED because i cant get them out, the metal just flakes off like pie crust. any solution for getting them out?

im ready to just take this thing to a pro to fix. i used to love this gun..

Best I can do for pics...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352590805.339675.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352590814.271475.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352590822.956236.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352590831.884564.jpg
    hu3e8yde.jpg

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    ordered Uberti hardened screw set, and a new power sear/bolt spring, and hammer spring. both of the latter by Wolff. Lets hope that it will solve the problem. this thing has MAYBE 5-6 boxes of .45LC through it.

if its not a Colt, its a copy (with shitty screws). sorry, just PISSED

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Slight side to side play (rotation) isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's often intentional so that the bullet can self align on the forcing cone as it enters the barrel. Otherwise, if the cylinder is locked tight and the timing is even slightly off, bullets will get shaved and wear on the cone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom