• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    OK ... this is a pretty typical Jianshe type 56, made in 1958. The stock has no serial numbers or other marks on it, but it looks as if it might be contemporary to the rest of the rifle. One well-known SKS guru (on other boards) says that he thinks it's likely to be the original stock, and he believes these were cavalry stocks.

You'll note that the side-mounted rear swivel on this one is not shaped quite like most. I'm not sure if it's a field replacement, or what. I'm curious to see what some of the SKS pros here have to say about it. (All numbers match but the bolt cover and no markings, other than dings, on the stock.)

Attachments

• SKS_swivel.jpg
      SKS_swivel.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 312
    • SKS_serial.jpg
      SKS_serial.jpg
      73 KB · Views: 309
    • SKS_buttplate.jpg
      SKS_buttplate.jpg
      65.2 KB · Views: 301
    • SKS_bayonet.jpg
      SKS_bayonet.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 301
    • SKS_bayo_cutout.jpg
      SKS_bayo_cutout.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 300

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Picture 2 kinda looks like grain that would be found in a Romanian Stock, yet picture 1 and 2 appear to be the orange albanian shelac colored stuff. That sling attachment has me stumped....

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    Looking at the stock pictures it looks like a cut down Albanian stock. Perhaps you could remove the butt plate to see if it has the 2 oiler/cleaning kit holes. Hand guard looks Albanian too. The wood type looks like beech which I believe was not used by the Chinese. Additionally, the stock seems to be in better condition than the metal parts, which could indicate it's a replacement. I've never seen a rear swivel like that one on any SKS.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Looking at the stock pictures it looks like a cut down Albanian stock. Perhaps you could remove the butt plate to see if it has the 2 oiler/cleaning kit holes. Hand guard looks Albanian too. The wood type looks like beech which I believe was not used by the Chinese. Additionally, the stock seems to be in better condition than the metal parts, which could indicate it's a replacement. I've never seen a rear swivel like that one on any SKS.

Bingo! See the additional photos ... with a bonus find. This one just had me a bit perplexed. So ... cut-down Albanian stock on a 1958 Jianshe M56?

Attachments

• SKS_complete.jpg
      SKS_complete.jpg
      29.4 KB · Views: 201
    • butt_bonus.jpg
      butt_bonus.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 198
    • stock_butt_2.jpg
      stock_butt_2.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 198

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    Bingo! See the additional photos ... with a bonus find. This one just had me a bit perplexed. So ... cut-down Albanian stock on a 1958 Jianshe M56?

Not the "original" stock but an example of making what you have work. I like it, it's very cool! Nice cleaning kit too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom