• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland
    I am looking for a little advice. I received a Chinese Type 53 from SOG last week (excellent experience BTW). It might just be a $100 rifle, but I want to retain the collector value. I want to get the stock cleaned up, but I don't want to strip and refinish it. I just want it de-gunked and to get the chalkiness off of it. What do you guys recommend?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sounds like what I just went through.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=102953

See post #7 for Machodoc's method I used.
    Post #36 and Post 44 show the results.

I'm happy with the results, I did not spend and enormous amount of time and the risk I feel was low in terms of messing it up. Follow what he writes to the best you can. The white pasty part on the stock took the most patience to get off. It did not start comming off until the steel wool. I used the GoJo cream option (without pummis) because I had it already and started the night after I got it. Walmart has the Go Jo cream as well as auto part places.

Good Luck and please post before pics when you can.
    Thx

Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland
    So you just used the Gojo, papertowels, and 0000 steel wool on the stock? That doesn't sound too bad. Will this work in the nooks and crannies as well (like there the magazine and receiver go)?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have to go back and pull the stock apart and do the insides some more cause I know I left some gunk inside of the stock. I know I'll have to get it done before it gets warm. I used toothpicks, Q tips and broken Popsicle stick (to make a 90 degree corner to get the bulk grease out of the insides of the stock.

More of what I did in my thread. My thread is more a log of what I did vs. what should be done cause I did not read as much as I've read since I had started it. This all seems to be a bit of an art. Lots of opinions and I guess each person has to research and find their own way through this. Looking for things people say NOT TO DO, then figuring and understanding why. Hot water on the stock, not hot water on the stock etc.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I used toothpicks, Q tips and broken Popsicle stick (to make a 90 degree corner to get the bulk grease out of the insides of the stock.

Inexpensive packs of children's toothbrushes from Wally World are also good tools, as are small soft-bristled paint brushes with mineral spirits (or charcoal lighter fluid) in sufficient amounts to dilute the cosmo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom