• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbgormley

Sep 23, 2016
    Hello,
    I recently bought a Colt Le6940 Rifle (2 weeks ago) in Texas. Unfortunately 3 days after i bought my new gun, I was told id be transferred to Maryland for work and its an opportunity that I cant pass up.

Will i be able to register that firearm or will i have to sell it back before i move.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    My sincere condolences on your impending move to the People's Republic of Maryland. Your "evil" rifle is banned in Maryland. Since you did not own it prior to October 1, 2013, the "grandfather" provisions of FSA 2013 do not apply.

There are a few options open to you.

Slap an upper with a HBAR barrel on it and it is magically transformed into a safe sporting rifle and may be brought into Maryland with out any need to register it.

Maryland is a much, much smaller state than Texas. Depending on where you will be working, it is quite possible to establish residency in a surrounding and more 2A friendly state without having a horrendous commute to work.

Sell the rifle and use the cash to buy any handguns you may want before coming to Maryland. We have this stupid thing called a Handgun Qualification License, which requires as much training time as a Texas LTC but only lets you buy, not carry, a handgun. You can almost forget getting a Maryland carry permit.

Again, so sorry to hear of your move up this way. Maryland could be a great place to live if it wasn't for the government.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Hello,
    I recently bought a Colt Le6940 Rifle (2 weeks ago) in Texas. Unfortunately 3 days after i bought my new gun, I was told id be transferred to Maryland for work and its an opportunity that I cant pass up.

Will i be able to register that firearm or will i have to sell it back before i move.

I believe the LE6940 is a banned configuration. It would be best to sell it an pick up a heavy barrel version.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    If your assignment to MD is temporary, you could leave you rifle with relatives. That isn't really a cost effective solution it you want an AR and funds are limited.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Put HBAR Upper, make it Md legal.

OR, if you are not sufficently equipped with handguns adaquate for your needs/ interests for the next several years, turn your AR into several handguns while still in Texas. You can easily buy a Colt 6721 rifle in Maryland later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom