Glock_Carbine.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 515

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    IIRC, it becomes a SBR and you need a tax stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buck

I've been thinking about the same thing. The product description says "If you own a host pistol and buy this product, your pistol will become a short-barreled rifle. You must first register your pistol with the ATFE using ATFE Form 1." I'm not really sure what that means.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Buck said:
    I've been thinking about the same think. The product description says "If you own a host pistol and buy this product, your pistol will become a short-barreled rifle. You must first register your pistol with the ATFE using ATFE Form 1." I'm not really sure what that means.

A short barreled rifle has a barrel less than 16". You need to fill out the proper paperwork. Get fingerprinted and photographed. Send it all to MD State Police so they can sign off on it. Then send it to the ATF with a $200 check. In 4-5 months, you will get a tax stamp back from them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    hmmm...are you sure? it still functions as a pistol. this seems like a grey area.
    This is not a gray area. If the gun has a stock, it's a rifle. If the barrel on a rifle is less than 16", it's an SBR. Using the kit that the OP linked to will make your Glock into an SBR. This is not the end of the world if you really like the kit; you just need to do the NFA paperwork and pay for the tax stamp ($200). (Of course, now you need to tell the BATFE whenever you take your Glock out of the state, too!)

Of course, CAA might have something of interest for you:
    http://store.commandarms.com/products/RONICG1.html

Personally, I think a Sub-2000 makes more sense...

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    You can not take a long gun and cut it up to be a pistol.

You can not take a pistol and make a rifle out it

I can not take my Thompson Contender frame that is registered as a pistol turn, it into a rifle, and then go back to the pistol configuration. This has been beat to death on other boards and several letters from BATF have been posted to back this up.

Be very careful doing basement gunsmithing. I know several LE officers shoot at the range I shoot at. Lots of them are on the federal side. Some of them are even with BATF. The BATF guys have the best toys to shoot!

Keep these fun toys home and keep yourself out of jail.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Definitely not a gray area. Once you add a stock (detachable or not) to a handgun, you've made a SBR. Illegally.

If you're serious about this, you have to do a Form 1 on your Glock as an SBR with the ATF and get your Glock engraved. After you get your stamp, you can proceed. A lot of these parts are pretty innocuous by themselves, but you can easily get yourself into a lot of trouble.

A vertical foregrip on a Glock seems like a funny joke, until you're doing 10 years for manufacturing an illegal AOW.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    A guy at work has one and brought it in. His is suppressed and is the RTF glock 17. To me it's an expensive ass plinker but I mean you can't really go wrong, it is a glock. Suprisingly they are actually pretty comfortable and decently balanced. I have never shot it so I can't comment on that but it has it's niche.

It's like a sub2k but way more expensive and more reliable.

As far as the SBR stuff obviously that's already been mentioned.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You can not take a pistol and make a rifle out it
    This is not true, at least not anymore. The BATFE recently issued a ruling allowing pistol->rifle->pistol conversions, as per the ruling in the T/C case. Note that this does not mean you get free pistol->SBR->pistol conversions!!! Also, the gun has to originally have been a pistol... so no taking your AR-15 rifle receiver and using it in a pistol build.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    sbr tax stamps for a pistol conversion imo is just down right theft from the atf, i want a roni for my px4 but idk maybe ill just wait till later on and just do it with a future glock purchase. still have to go through the bs but w.e. i think those roni kits are so slick looking.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    A short barreled rifle has a barrel less than 16". You need to fill out the proper paperwork. Get fingerprinted and photographed. Send it all to MD State Police so they can sign off on it. Then send it to the ATF with a $200 check. In 4-5 months, you will get a tax stamp back from them.

Or have a trust and bypass all that BS

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    Couldn't you make the argument that this would be an AOW? Dosen't the BATFE say that if you put a foregrip on a pistol then its an AOW? which would only be $5 if my memory serves me. not sure how they would react to the stock as well but, I think it may fall under the AOW category

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Couldn't you make the argument that this would be an AOW? Dosen't the BATFE say that if you put a foregrip on a pistol then its an AOW? which would only be $5 if my memory serves me. not sure how they would react to the stock as well but, I think it may fall under the AOW category

It's only an AOW if it's got a foregrip. With a stock, it's most certainly a SBR. And it's still a 200 dollar tax regardless of whether it's an SBR or an AOW, because you'd be doing it on a Form 1.

Adding a stock makes it a weapon designed to be fired from the shoulder. If it has a barrel under 16", it is an SBR. Do not pass go.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia

Beat to death........................

It's an SBR............................

$200

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

$5 is just the transfer of an AOW, to MAKE an AOW its still $200 unless an SOT makes it, then its free and a customer just pays $5 to get in in their name.

That gun cannot be an AOW, it has a buttstock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom