• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ndunk67

Mar 29, 2014
    Middletown
    Is there anyone with advise pertaining to the state hunting lands for Turkey? I'm in Middletown, it'll be my first hunt ever going out for spring turkey. I've got my weapon of choice, my safety course is the 5th of April and I'll be getting all my paperwork in order after that is completed. I plan to do some scouting in South Mountain areas over the next few weeks, just really new to the area and looking for some pointers. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Dunk

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    When I worked on the new I-68 rest stops above Middletown, I've seen turkeys below the west side rest stop, though it's posted land. Go to one of the rest stop's, and pick up literature on regulations about public land hunting on South Mountain.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Im near you and see them in my yard often....I would try the Frederick watershed...but be careful of other hunters. Turkey hunting on public land always scared me.

ndunk67

Mar 29, 2014
    Middletown
    Thanks for the advise. I'll pick up some info on public land hunting on S. Mountain. I've also read a lot of posts from concerned people on public land during turkey season. Even though blaze orange isn't required during this season, I plan to wear some and mark the tree I'm posted up on. If I see/hear any gobblers I'll let everyone know.

MentalSquint

Can't Stomp Us Out
    Dec 6, 2007
    Frederick
    Just be prepared to deal with a bunch of liberal types on the AT that don't know you can use the trail to get to public land. I keep the map in my hand to show them.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I like to wear blaze orange when I'm walking around the spring turkey woods. South mountain is a bit too rocky for me. I would keep it a secret...if you hear any turkey gobbling going on, or see any other turkey sign; though I'd like to hear if you have seen or heard any timber rattler's on South Mountain. That big rocky outcrop on the North West face of South Mountain is one of the last bastions of the Appalachian rat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom