• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I recently changed over from corn cob to walnut media. In my opinion, the walnut does clean a bit better. However, it appears to be more "dusty". In fact, I have to wipe the brass off after tumbling. Is this normal?

On a related note, I can see that there is some amount of media residue inside of the brass casing. Will this compromise the powder's performance or s the impact negligible?

Thanks!

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Drop a dryer sheet in there, or sift it through a screen. I have never had an issue leaving the tiny bit of dust on there.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The dust is nature of the beast, I wipe my cases after they come out of the tumbler as well.

I tap the cases against the bowl of the tumbler to knock out any media that gets hung up in the case before I line them up for trimming.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I really should pick up a separator, it does get annoying having to pick out each case by hand...

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I really should pick up a separator,

You really should, you won't regret the $ spent. I have one like the smaller Dillon, though I don't remember buying it from Dillon. There is some media splash outside the bin. RCBS has one with a hard top, but the in the pics, it looks like it's made from 100% plastic.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I really should pick up a separator, it does get annoying having to pick out each case by hand...

Cheap trick:

Go to Wally World and get a CHEAP colander. (One large enough to 'sit in' a 5 gallon bucket.)

Pour/dump the tumbler load through the colander, then shake/shuffle the colander until the brass is separated from the media.

My wife was a little upset that she couldn't find HER colander. :D

IF I can get my phone to connect to this OLD laptop, I'd post a picture of this!

ETA: Finally got pic moved, so that I could post it.

Last edited:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Cheap trick:

Go to Wally World and get a CHEAP colander. (One large enough to 'sit in' a 5 gallon bucket.)

Pour/dump the tumbler load through the colander, then shake/shuffle the colander until the brass is separated from the media.

!

:thumbsup: This...works great and it's like $2 or cheaper it breaks throw it away. Still do a little tumbling that way but switched to wet tumbling with SS pins.

-Rock

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Cheap trick:

IF I can get my phone to connect to this OLD laptop, I'd post a picture of this!

Perfect! Hell of an idea, and a damned good one at that. :thumbsup:

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    A decent tumbler does not cost much more, will have less dust in your work space and nose, and will be more thorough at getting the media out.

I guess the colander will give you a bit more exercise.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes in the bottom of a two gallon bucket, then set it inside of a five gallon bucket and dump the tumbler into the two gallon bucket and sift the media out of the casings. Then I dump the dusty shell casings into a flannel pillow case turned inside out to wipe the dust off.
    It's worked for me for more than 25 years.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Cheap trick:

Not only a good idea, but may actually be faster. I have the blue franklin one and getting it opened, and then rotating it and holding it from hitting the edges an take time to rotate.

With your bucket idea, if you put a lid on top, I bet that takes less time than snapping the media seperator, opening, closing etc. I like a seperator that lets the 22 cases slip past. Nothing like a 22 case inside another case getting stuck on the pin of a decapping/resizing die.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    I always separate the cases from the media outside as I don't like all the dust that is generated during the tumbling.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I used colander type separaters for a several years then tried the 'small' Dillon rotary separator. No going back, rotating the separator for about 30 seconds and you're done.

Walnut dust is part of the nature of the walnut beast. It doesn't hurt the dies, actually cleans the sizer. Wipes away quickly leaving a pristine die. Wipes off of the loaded rounds easily, if necessary. I use corncob media from time to time but doesn't seem to clean effectively as long as walnut media. Occasionally, I take the media outside on a slightly breezey day and pour it from bucket to bucket, one bucket a few feet above the other. Breeze blows out the dust and it runs a little cleaner. Treatment with a 'charger' helps reduce dust as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom