• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    So I went out and shot my Romanian Tokarev TTC yesterday for the first time. The gun had been thoroughly cleaned and lubed. I used some old Polish surplus rounds, some of which had very small cracks at the top of the brass. I fired off two magazines and each time the slide stayed open after the second round, I made sure the barrel was clear hit the disconnector and kept firing. Some brass flew 15 feet while some only went a foot or two. The slide stayed open a grand total of three times on two magazines, twice on the first magazine and once on the second. Is this a problem with the gun or is it probably just due to the old ammo? Not all of the rounds had cracks so it seemed to me that the cracked ammo is probably the cause of the problem.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Did you get more than one magazine with it? Did this happen with just one mag, or with more than one?

I'd check the ammo to be sure that you have a mag loaded with rounds that don't have cracks in them, and see if that changes the outcome.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    OK bringing this topic back to life...
    I shot the gun again yesterday and was sure to only load rounds that had no crack in the case. I used both magazines. The slide still remained open a few times. While firing one magazine it happened only once and on the other magazine it happened three times, I only shot two magazines and did not reload either for another try. Any idea why this might be happening??

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Quality control on some ammo could be sending it back further or if it has a empty mag slide hold open latch...the spring could be loose or sticky.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The thing you're calling the disconnector is actually the slide stop (or slide release).

It sounds like the slide stop is engaging prematurely. This is actually pretty common, and is usually caused by the shooter himself gripping the pistol in such a way that they inadvertently engage the slide stop while shooting.

So the first thing to check is your grip. Is it possible that your thumb is contacting the slide stop, if only very slightly under recoil? It could be happening without your realizing it.

If you can rule out that possibility, I think the next thing is to see if the slide stop is loose enough to jump up a bit under recoil.

I don't think it's ammo related, unless some of those rounds produce more recoil than others do (which could be, based on the ejection variations), and the stronger recoil is influencing either you grip ( #1) or a loose slide stop (#2).

In either case, recoil shouldn't cause the slide stop to engage, so I'd rule out the two things I mentioned.

Edit to add:

I just checked a picture to refresh my memory of the RomoTok set up (all I have is a 1911), and was reminded of the crappy safety the importer puts on those things. It looks like the minimum-wage workers at Century have to do some butchering to cram that safety lever in that tight space.

Could the slide stop be forced slightly up by the butcher-job "safety" installation? Perhaps just enough to engage a little bit more readily under recoil, especially with a grip that allows the shooter's thumb to brush the slide stop.

1- Make absolutely sure your thumb is nowhere near the slide stop. Try shooting left handed.

2- Try removing the "safety" (which looks like it only blocks the trigger- perhaps worse than no safety at all). See if the problem persists.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks guys! I will try changing my grip and if that doesn't work I will try removing the safety or upgrading the recoil spring. I will also disassemble the gun and make sure I have everything reassambled tightly.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Thanks guys! I will try changing my grip and if that doesn't work I will try removing the safety or upgrading the recoil spring. I will also disassemble the gun and make sure I have everything reassambled tightly.

Before doing anything, I'd get some not-surplus ammo (grab some Wolf, Prvi, or some Sellier & Bellot) and give that a shot. (no pun intended--well, maybe a little...Ok, totally intended.).

Regardless, remove the crap safety. You can plug the holes with low-profile metal or plastic hole plugs (you can judge the size with various screws/bolts--then google the right size plug). They look professional, and if they pop out while shooting, use a bit of hot glue to keep 'em in. If you use the metal ones, you can flatten the flange-y bits over the inside of the frame so they don't pop out. A dab of hot glue on the inside flangy-bits of the metal ones will make sure they don't come loose.

If you need to feel "safe," use the hammer half-cock. It's not a for-sure, 100% safe, but it's better than trusting the piece of shit that the ATF requires the importer to disfigure your gun with.

Also regardless, get some Wolf springs. They'll make your Tok feel like a different gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom