• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 4, 2024
    Baltimore
    Need some guidance here

Trying to finish off a rifle project from years back

Questions are on the barrel length and foldable stock vs extendable stocks

I overstand that the barrel has to be longer than 16 inches with a stock to be called a legal rifle

I made up my mind that I get a 16 and 20 in hopes that gets me legal on one front

Can I have a foldable stock on my ar9 with a 16 in barrel or my nato ar with a 20 inch barrel

Or should I go with the extendable stock as I have seen that sold in stores

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    MD prohibits you from having more than one of the following on a semi auto, centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable mag: folding stock, grenade/flare launcher, or flash suppressor. You can have a folding stock on a rifle, so long as you don't have one of the other things as well.

Most people just go with collapsible stocks so they can keep a flash hider or suppressor. If you go with a folding stock, you'll have to use a muzzle brake or bare end/thread protector.

The 16" barrel length minimum on a rifle is a federal law. Below that and it'll be an SBR and you'll need a tax stamp.

Mind you MD also has a minimum 29" OAL for rifles/SBRs. OAL is measured the ATF way, end of the stock in full extension and to the end of the barrel. Non-permanent muzzle devices do not count towards overall length.

Last edited:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Believe you can have either stock type. ARs can't be fired in semiauto mode with folding stock folded, so folding stock on AR doesnt count as an evil feature in MD.

Any 16"+ AR will meet MD 29" OAL requirement with any stock configuration.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It depends on what kind of folding stock you are using. What kind are you wanting to use?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Does anyone else's ears perk up ? or am i way too cynical ?

I suppose both would be correct
    Though he is lacking in detail, he seems articulate, more articulate than some members who have been here for years.

What test should someone have to pass to gain accreditation?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Though he is lacking in detail, he seems articulate, more articulate than some members who have been here for years.

What test should someone have to pass to gain accreditation?
    Very valid point, he certainly knows me than I , just always thinking when someone hits the ground running with building. I would think our fine government would love to shut down that sector.

This is a free and open forum and that is great for all that play along.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Very valid point, he certainly knows me than I , just always thinking when someone hits the ground running with building. I would think our fine government would love to shut down that sector.

This is a free and open forum and that is great for all that play along.
    Actually, that was what brought me here almost ten years ago. A build question.

I was really ignorant(some will say I haven't changed) as to the workings of a forum. I was a hot, wet mess.

(...and I have yet to do an intro...)

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Actually, that was what brought me here almost ten years ago. A build question.

I was really ignorant(some will say I haven't changed) as to the workings of a forum. I was a hot, wet mess.

(...and I have yet to do an intro...)
    Yes we all have skin in the game and this place is better because you are here .

Hopefully see you soon at a food event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom