• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Here is grip texturing and frame contouring in the works on my last build. Foster framed 5" 9x19 caliber. Bordered stippling on the front strap and full stipple on the mainspring housing. High hold cut at the top of the front strap. Critiques welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_3228.JPG
      IMG_3228.JPG
      81.7 KB · Views: 362
    • IMG_3230.JPG
      IMG_3230.JPG
      125.4 KB · Views: 363
    • IMG_3229.JPG
      IMG_3229.JPG
      67.6 KB · Views: 362
    • IMG_3231.JPG
      IMG_3231.JPG
      68.4 KB · Views: 366

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I don't know a lot about 1911 building, but I like the work. Looks like it'll be comfortable to grip but still be slip-proof. Will probably look really nice with the right grips.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Looks really good. I'd like to see how you did it.
    Can you show a full side shot that shows the undercut work?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I'll have to wait until tonight to get a profile pic of the frame. I'll put a Ruger next to it to compare.

No dremel used on this one. The flat on the front strap was filed to orient and set the second from end bones in my fingers so they were perpendicular to the bore. Even after rounding the front strap I like a less round profile there. I filed 90 degree cuts using two adjacent sides of a flat file stair step fashion along the front strap where I wanted the high hold "dimple". I used abrasive cloth to set the exact position and radius, slower being better. I posted a couple of in progress pics to illustrate it.

Attachments

• IMG_3012.jpg
      IMG_3012.jpg
      37.1 KB · Views: 255
    • IMG_3014.jpg
      IMG_3014.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 259
    • IMG_3017.jpg
      IMG_3017.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 255
    • IMG_3018.jpg
      IMG_3018.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 255
    • IMG_3020.jpg
      IMG_3020.jpg
      54.9 KB · Views: 255

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Here is a profile pic before I started this last round of work on the front strap and frame. This pic also shows the beavertail in a standard high hold profile. This beavertail profile falls somewhere on a mild higher hold and is not as profound as some of my other 1911's.

Some may think this kind of work doesn't make a difference but it does. This turns the gun from having a chunky top heavy feel to a svelt glove on the hand, reduced muzzle flip grace to it. Hand size will effect what profile works best for some one.

Attachments

• IMG_1911.jpg
      IMG_1911.jpg
      79.8 KB · Views: 251

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Here is a pic of the frame overlapping a Ruger Commander. I marked the side of the front and bottom of the trigger guard for some contrast. I tried to center the pic over the trigger guard and front strap intersection. The frame and Ruger were aligned at the bottom of the magwells, bottom of the frame dust covers and the mag catch button/bores.

Also is a pic of the Ruger and the frame profiles.

Attachments

• IMG_3232.jpg
      IMG_3232.jpg
      54.9 KB · Views: 187
    • IMG_3233.jpg
      IMG_3233.jpg
      76.9 KB · Views: 188

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    As far as the profile of the finished pistol goes, here it is momentarily assembled. Not a great cell phone pic. I'll post the finished pistol when I get it done...it will be awhile.

Attachments

• IMG_3241.jpg
      IMG_3241.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 190

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Looks great! I do similar undercutting on my Tupperware guns - G19, Sig P320 - but how'd you stipple the steel? --JB

I use a lathe bit and a 4 ounce hammer....lotsa times. I look at the front strap from different angles to get complete coverage. This is a pretty aggressive texture, I prefer it like that.

Thank you, Minuteman. The advantage of doing it for oneself is different things can be tried without emptying the bank account.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    If somebody is looking to see if this might work for them without spending hours and hours and hours beating on their frame, some of the non-slip tread traction sticker tape cut to fit gives a pretty good idea. Home Depot, Lowes, etcetera carries this stuff. A couple bucks and a little time with a razor knife makes for a pretty good look-see. Just don't expect that to be a long term solution, especially outside in August.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've had a piece of skate board tape on one pistol for several years now...never came off...I guess it will now that I mentioned it.
    I did try it on this pistol but wanted something permanent. I was debating checkering. Considering the amount of time spent...
    that would be a thought for a future project.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My 1911 smith is always leery of checkering the front of the grips on 1911s. A lot of manufacturers have quality control issues with how they hog out the magazine well and the metal there can vary in thickness, to where the checkering will go through the metal. I just stick with skateboard tape, I can take it off if I sell the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom