• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    I recently received my tax stamp from the BATF for my AR SBR 101/2". It took 3 months from the day I mailed it to the day it came back.
    I thought it would take much longer.

Now I'm getting ready to send in may paperwork for a 9mm suppressor.

Does one need the trust notarized every time an item is added to the schedule A?

Thanks

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    OK thanks!

It has been some time since I crammed all of the info into my head. I used the latest version of Quicken will maker (downloaded version)

I have to say that the help I received here at MDS was priceless. A special thanks goes out to "Jeepdriver" and to all those that put up with me pestering for info.

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    Correct that is why I asked. First time? Can you own items in trust and out of the trust at the same time?

I was trying to start up a conversation if that was alright with you.

If I'm not mistaken, once one incorporates an item into the trust it belongs to the trust and you as the grantor and trustee and any other trustees named in the trust. If you decide to remove the items from the trust you will then have to transfer them to yourself through the legal process with all of the fees it entails through an authorized Class3 SOT FFL. I am only using the trust for NFA stuff that I will not likely want to sell anytime soon.

If I am wrong here guys feel free to correct me and reeducate me.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    You really need to consult with a lawyer before using a trust for NFA items. Quicken does not have wording to authorize the trustees to use the weapon, but all trusts impose a fiduciary responsibility to preserve the value of assets for the beneficiary (as a trust is really an estate planning tool), and it could be argued that shooting the weapon lowers its value.

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    You really need to consult with a lawyer before using a trust for NFA items. Quicken does not have wording to authorize the trustees to use the weapon, but all trusts impose a fiduciary responsibility to preserve the value of assets for the beneficiary (as a trust is really an estate planning tool), and it could be argued that shooting the weapon lowers its value.

I'm sure you are right. I have read your posts concerning trusts in the past and found them insightful.

Personally I'm really not concerned about my SBR losing value. It's definitely not a collectors item. It gets run through, mud, water, crappy ammo, and the occasional tuft of foliage. I got it for the ease in handling.
    Does the trust lose validity if the item loses value?
    I decided to go the way of the trust due to that I could not deal with all of the back and forth with the MSP and so on. I know that they sign anything as I have been told here but after 120 miles a day I'll save myself the hassle, time and gas.
    I thought having the tax stamp was the goal not necessarily taking the trip:D

Again, I could not have done it without the help of the MDS community.:thumbsup:

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    Trust route - boothdoc - I will show you mine when you stop over to get the Yugo SKS next week. We can whip one out and I can notarize it for you as well.

Actuall,, best practice would be to take a printed sample with you, mark up the tweaks and then we can finalize it/notarize it and you are good to go for NFA goodness.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    ATF have lawyers reviewing all trust that come in. The only advantage that a trust offers at this point is the CLOE sign off. They do not off faster transfers.

For some that do several transfers a year, the trips to MSP get annoying and the trust is a benifit, for those who may only do 3 or 4 in their life time, stick with the traditional method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom