• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    I'm sure we've all seen it on Drudge, Trump warned by NRA over background checks...

But are we smart enough to ride the tide, that appears to be going against us?

Yes, it's the media. Yes, it's dems politicizing tragedy. But for some reason this time it feels different. I have close friends - life long R's in TX, that don't think people need "assault weapons," never mind they can't define what is one. Others that say "maybe you'll change your mind when you have kids and have to spend $300 on a bulletproof backpack."

I don't want to give these bastards an inch. But would it do more for our cause if we made a horse trade? Say UBC (with publicly accessible NICS and family and loan exemptions), and red flag (with mandatory due process) for them, and national carry reciprocity with national transport preemption for us? Make FFL 03s a national carry permit for residents of slave states, and also a Brady exemption...

The problem isn't guns. The problem is the collapse of the family, and lack of faith in our society. But there is no easy legislative fix for that. We are where we are. We need to fight better and smarter. I'd much rather give up my right to a face-to-face transfer without a background check (already illegal in DC and DE, illegal for handguns in MD, and other slave states) as a part of a "bipartisan" legislative fix, and gain 50 state carry, then foolishly lean against a wall that will eventually come crashing down on us.

The NRA in its diminished state will not save us. Nor will the RHINOs in congress. Love SAF, but I don't fancy waiting another 50 years for the courts to maybe restore my rights... Not that I believe the Dems would swallow the poison pill of national cary reciprocity, but we need to be proposing smarter laws that the general public can get behind, that also benefit us, rather than just saying "not another inch." Reframe the messaging to the dems being the obstructionists to "better gun laws," not us.

Thoughts?

Sad to think the greatest legislative expansion of gun rights in the last decade was with Obama and the Credit Card Act granting us carry in national parks.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    No, on everything you said.

So you'd rather have UBCs, and an AWB with no sunset? And a hot civil war, where the only thing hot about it is how quickly they drain your bank account and put a lien on your house for failure to comply?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Every concession we have made on our 2A right was supposed to be a trade, up to and including bump stocks.

No, just no.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    I'm sure we've all seen it on Drudge, Trump warned by NRA over background checks...

But are we smart enough to ride the tide, that appears to be going against us?

Yes, it's the media. Yes, it's dems politicizing tragedy. But for some reason this time it feels different. I have close friends - life long R's in TX, that don't think people need "assault weapons," never mind they can't define what is one. Others that say "maybe you'll change your mind when you have kids and have to spend $300 on a bulletproof backpack."

I don't want to give these bastards an inch. But would it do more for our cause if we made a horse trade? Say UBC (with publicly accessible NICS and family and loan exemptions), and red flag (with mandatory due process) for them, and national carry reciprocity with national transport preemption for us? Make FFL 03s a national carry permit for residents of slave states, and also a Brady exemption...

The problem isn't guns. The problem is the collapse of the family, and lack of faith in our society. But there is no easy legislative fix for that. We are where we are. We need to fight better and smarter. I'd much rather give up my right to a face-to-face transfer without a background check (already illegal in DC and DE, illegal for handguns in MD, and other slave states) as a part of a "bipartisan" legislative fix, and gain 50 state carry, then foolishly lean against a wall that will eventually come crashing down on us.

The NRA in its diminished state will not save us. Nor will the RHINOs in congress. Love SAF, but I don't fancy waiting another 50 years for the courts to maybe restore my rights... Not that I believe the Dems would swallow the poison pill of national cary reciprocity, but we need to be proposing smarter laws that the general public can get behind, that also benefit us, rather than just saying "not another inch." Reframe the messaging to the dems being the obstructionists to "better gun laws," not us.

Thoughts?

Sad to think the greatest legislative expansion of gun rights in the last decade was with Obama and the Credit Card Act granting us carry in national parks.

:smack:Thought is (NO!!!) "better gun laws" is a fools gambit. We're already way to far down that rabbit hole as it is. We need "LAW ENFORCEMENT" not new laws.

Everyone with 60+% mental capacity seems to acknowledge mental health is a big issue. So it'd be logical when doing a nics check especially on an 18-25 year old to unlock and link juvenile mental health and criminal records as part of the review (Dur). It's voluntary, don't want your juvi record viewed, fine don't apply to purchase a gun. While I'm on that topic, reopen the damn mental institutions. It should be obvious by now that it was a stupid idea closing them to begin with.

Let's reverse apply that idea to the Pulse night club shooting and the 2 most recent? I think it would have prevented at least 1 if not all 3 from legally obtaining their fire arm. What other law either on the books or proposed would have done that???
    But so what, if they were really hell bent on committing mass murder they'd have just bought or stole a weapon and we're right back here with the lobotomized main stream media pundits crying that there are just to many damn guns in this country, Trumps fault, Bla bla.
    They'll be clambering to follow suite with Australia and confiscate our guns.

We are responsible productive members of this great society, 100% American patriots, endowed with all the rights, freedoms, and responsibility that go with it. We have appreciation, gratitude, and understanding of the great bed rock our founders blessed us with!

The responsibility includes calling BS when you hear it. I cant even turn on the news right now. Makes me sick to think they can say some of this crap with sincerity:omg:

It's the progressive leftists that are the outliers in this society, metastasizing their mental health issues through all forms of media and education.

The progressive snowflakes need to be defeated at the ballot box, schools, and media.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Get nationwide Reciprosity , plus substitute for residents of non-free states , with No Carve outs, and No grandfathering Actually On the Table from the other side , THEN , a conversation would be appropriate .

Not necessarily saying acceptable , but that would be what an Actual Compromise would look like .

We've already been doing 85 years of " Maybe if we surrender only Half this time in exchange for nothing, the other side will be satisfied, and subsequently leave us alone " , and we know how That plays out .

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I wouldn’t be surprised if there was no warning and La Pierre said that you can do x, y, and z, and these things are least offensive to the NRA, but we will publicly oppose them. Thus the President can be seen standing up to the NRA when he pushes something through. I suspect that this cake is already baked and this scuttlebutt about the NRA warning the President is actually part of the roll out.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I wouldn’t be surprised if there was no warning and La Pierre said that you can do x, y, and z, and these things are least offensive to the NRA, but we will publicly oppose them. Thus the President can be seen standing up to the NRA when he pushes something through. I suspect that this cake is already baked and this scuttlebutt about the NRA warning the President is actually part of the roll out.

Sadly, I think you're right.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

This is probably how 90% or more of high level politics is played.

All the while we have a majority of Americans picking a side and going around touting how it's "us against them". :sad20:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    “Better gun laws”....better for who? The 99% of responsible gun owners obeying current laws? As 357MAX said, we need LAW ENFORCEMENT and not new laws. Remember, the thugs in cities like Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago and others surely follow gun laws don’t they? Go after those guns to make a difference.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Trump "warned" by NRA

This is probably how 90% or more of high level politics is played.

All the while we have a majority of Americans picking a side and going around touting how it's "us against them". :sad20:

Yup. Uniparty politics and we’re all fools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Yup. Uniparty politics and we’re all fools.

I've been saying that for a few years here now. What I usually get is attempts to label me as a "Liberal".

Being that I'm almost as easily disgusted by a lot of supposed Conservatives.....it's not all that offensive to me any more.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Problem is, its not a trade. When the MD assembly in 2013 banned evil guns, did we get CCW? No, they even made the W&C training requirement more onerous (8hours->16 hours), in case the Supreme Court public decided carry was a right. And, we got the HQL which infringes on for-the-home purchases. We did not get a trade, we simply got ever more infringements. Moms Demand action is always right there telling us they support the 2nd Amendment but....

At times like these go back and read the sticky https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=79715 ...In their own words, how to ban guns slowly.

The ultimate goal is not a "trade" but a framework like NYC, where you need govt permission to take your firearm to the gunsmith.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Always hard to predict. Emotions were higher after Sandy Hook, yet the UBC law failed the Senate. Trump himself also has the luxury of looking tough and grabbing the rhetoric, while blaming Democrats for getting nothing done because they have gone so far left. Congress has different dynamics than state assemblies. Most of the action we have seen either way has been at the state level, it would not surprise me to see that continue.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    We already have laws against murder.

When are we going to keep cars out of the hands of drunk drivers?

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    The OP starts off with a hugely false assumption. I used to make the same one.

They are not, I repeat "not", interested in saving anyone's life. (or they are insanely bad at math). Nor are they interested in reducing the fear of the populace. This is a hard to imagine but an extremely important realization.

Why? Only ineffective solutions (more dead bodies) will continue to provide them with the political (emotional) support to enact even more laws. Imagine if UBC's fixed their imagined 'gun violence' problem perfectly. 100%. No insane person has shot up a school/business in 3 years. Do you think they would get behind Reciprocity or re-open the machine gun registry? Not in your wildest dreams. Ineffective solutions are the only path that allows them to make "incremental improvements".

Let's say that UBCs were the agreed upon price for reciprocity. We know that UBCs will not fix this. Reciprocity would become the reason why UBCs were unsuccessful at solving the "Gun Violence Epidemic". Now we must have additional National Training requirements for reciprocity so we can feel safe.

Maryland requires an FFL to perform a background check for private handgun sales. The reason Baltimore is on it's way to 300 homicides this year is because Virginia does not have the same requirement. Regardless of where the guns came from, Virginia is the cause of the problem and if we want to feel safe, it must be fixed. Ooops, the guns came from West VA. I guess we need more "solutions". Since BC's were never a solution, the problem won't be fixed.

A genuine solution means there is no reason to forcibly remove firearms from law abiding Americans. Armed Americans are independent Americans. Independent Americans are less likely to conform and that cannot be tolerated. So our families will pay the price. They'll move on to the next 'solution' until all means of self defense is gone. Then we'll conform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom