• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    Anyone doing any trout fishing? How did you do? My dad, a buddy of mine and me went out this morning in rocks and brought home 7. Dad hooked a real nice probably 7 ish pounder but the line broke before i could net it. All in all it was a good day and the rain held off most of the morning.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I haven't been out for a few years, but I used to catch some fairly big stocked rainbows out of the Patapsco in Ho Co. I use spinning reels and power bait most of the time. Once I caught a 15 incher and a 16 incher on the same day. I took about 45 minutes of baking to cook the big ones.

Dlongjr

Oct 21, 2011
    Ellicott City
    Can I get some info on where you guys are/were fishing? I want to take my kids out this week and have some fun. I live in Ellicott City so I am close to a lot in HoCo.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I didnt this year, but have been thinking about getting a PA license and going back to the same stream I used to pull a ton of brookies and the occasional brown or rainbow out of as a kid.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I went down the gunpowder. The rocks get way too crowded and no parking sucks. We used to stay the night in the cars because of it. We got our limit by 830 and culled out about 4-5. It was slower this year and we caught almost all on spinners. BTW there was 3 of us hence the 15 fish.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364787728.778328.jpg

yotaboy24

Mar 12, 2009
    Can I get some info on where you guys are/were fishing? I want to take my kids out this week and have some fun. I live in Ellicott City so I am close to a lot in HoCo.

If your just looking to hook some may I suggest either centennial or elkhorn lake in Columbia. Elkhorn is where I mainly fish. Can't say when they stocked it last, but I was there maybe 2 weeks ago and they were tearing up power bait.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena

Right below the dam at the daniels area of potapsco state park. Use chartruse power bait or a super duper

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I went down the gunpowder. The rocks get way too crowded and no parking sucks. We used to stay the night in the cars because of it. We got our limit by 830 and culled out about 4-5. It was slower this year and we caught almost all on spinners. BTW there was 3 of us hence the 15 fish.

View attachment 81133

Why didnt you save yourself the trouble and just go to Chik N Trout on liberty road. That or Hiphop Fish N Chik N

angler

Mar 30, 2010

Here is a link to MD's trout stocking schedule and locations. If it isn't listed, you won't find trout in it......(with the exception of a few mountain brookie streams that I will never tell anyone about).

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/stocking/

There is ton's of water that is stocked right in your back yard.

Dlongjr

Oct 21, 2011
    Ellicott City
    Went out to Daniels Dam area tonight and got zilch. I was doing something wrong as the guy in the waders was tearing it up. I used two different spinners and I tried out the chartreuse trout magnet I heard people talking about. I will head back again and try it again tomorrow.

Bisondice

Ultimate Member
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Do you guys scale your rainbow trout? I never have and had a guy look at me as if from Mars when I told him I don't. Any favorite recipes, just got four decent sizers trolling at Greenbrier lake.

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    Do you guys scale your rainbow trout? I never have and had a guy look at me as if from Mars when I told him I don't. Any favorite recipes, just got four decent sizers trolling at Greenbrier lake.

Nice bunch of trout.

I never scale trout either. Gill, gut and toss them in foil with dill, butter, lemon and a little salt. Seal them up and toss them on the grill. Can skip the dill. When I used to do a lot of back country fishing and camping in the Southwest we would put Yarrow in the foil pouch instead of dill. It grows in every Rocky Mountain meadow I have ever found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom