• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Howdy!

My wife’s AP5p (MP5k) pattern is my “on the chopping block” project right now. Got a KES and Tailhook on the way to satisfy some LOP issues and then in the coming month or so, I’m going to resolve the optic solution.

I’m going to put either on a 1.57” riser (unless someone has something else to say…) but am curious of input.

I heard the MRO’s had some issues with parallax and others early on. Anyone have experiences with new models? Not above the SRO option, either.

Thanks!
    - Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I love the aimpoint H1 on mine. Having said that, I’ll probably put a riser on it as it is currently a true co-witness with the HK style sights.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I love the aimpoint H1 on mine. Having said that, I’ll probably put a riser on it as it is currently a true co-witness with the HK style sights.

View attachment 447021

Very nice! I’ve had a T-1 in the past years ago that was a good optic. Had Trijicons in the past that have been good optics. Think I like the larger objective of those over the aimpoint. Was thinking a Holo AEMS, but then figured it’s not an inexpensive gun and it should have an optic with that in mind. I’m, at the moment, farting around with the dinky little Shield sight that came with it and have it slammed to the upper as well.

I’d like my mounting solution to be in the vein of Botach rail, Scalarworks mount.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Very nice! I’ve had a T-1 in the past years ago that was a good optic. Had Trijicons in the past that have been good optics. Think I like the larger objective of those over the aimpoint. Was thinking a Holo AEMS, but then figured it’s not an inexpensive gun and it should have an optic with that in mind. I’m, at the moment, farting around with the dinky little Shield sight that came with it and have it slammed to the upper as well.

I’d like my mounting solution to be in the vein of Botach rail, Scalarworks mount.

Understood. I have the SRO on my M&P and I can honestly say it’s my favorite pistol optic. Great field of view but keep in mind it’s not as rugged as the MRO.

pics just because.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Just ordered one. I ordered mine mountless because I already own the mount it will go on.

I’m thinking the same but in Green

flintstone

Jan 1, 2013
    Perry Hall MD
    I put a Holosun on mine for now on top of a Scalarworks mount. The dot is over the ring sight and can still use the irons looking under mount if needed.
    image.jpg

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I run a Leopold Delta Point Pro on my MP5K. The mount replaces the rear sight for a very low profile set up.

Attachments

• HK - MP5K (1).jpg
      HK - MP5K (1).jpg
      85.3 KB · Views: 38
    • HK - MP5K Optic.jpg
      HK - MP5K Optic.jpg
      80.7 KB · Views: 39

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I don't understand running a tall optic on a rifle (SBR, braced pistol, etc.) Why do you want a chin weld? The old HK claw optics get almost universally panned because their height over stock and thus awkward position to use. But turn a scope into a red dot and suddenly everyone wants it? I can understand it makes little difference if using in a slinged pistol config. But with a stock?

Curious, I went downstaris to compare to ARs. Look like the height of fixed sights on ARs is ~2" over the stock. My red dot optics and magnifiers are mostly around 2-1/8". If a scope sits higher than that I usually have a raised cheek piece.
    HKs are ~1-3/4" over where I rest my cheek w/ the fixed A2 stock. So at most 1/4" above the factory sights would be 'AR equivalent'. The collapisable A3 gets you a little higher at 2".

HKs have been plagued by crappy tall optics forever. Then comes the advent of the ultra low Shield Sights mount that will darn near cowitness anything and some people use tall risers. I just don't understand.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I don't understand running a tall optic on a rifle (SBR, braced pistol, etc.) Why do you want a chin weld? The old HK claw optics get almost universally panned because their height over stock and thus awkward position to use. But turn a scope into a red dot and suddenly everyone wants it? I can understand it makes little difference if using in a slinged pistol config. But with a stock?

Curious, I went downstaris to compare to ARs. Look like the height of fixed sights on ARs is ~2" over the stock. My red dot optics and magnifiers are mostly around 2-1/8". If a scope sits higher than that I usually have a raised cheek piece.
    HKs are ~1-3/4" over where I rest my cheek w/ the fixed A2 stock. So at most 1/4" above the factory sights would be 'AR equivalent'. The collapisable A3 gets you a little higher at 2".

HKs have been plagued by crappy tall optics forever. Then comes the advent of the ultra low Shield Sights mount that will darn near cowitness anything and some people use tall risers. I just don't understand.
    Agreed completely. When I did run an aimpoint on my mp5, it was on an ARMS rail that kept it super low to the receiver.

The only time it has ever benefited me to have the stupid high sight offset is trying to passive aim (through an eotech or aimpoint) while wearing NOD. Attached to a lid. If I'm shooting in daylight or with white light and don't have to wear a lid, I want my optics low for cheek weld.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The purposes behind high RDSs are several and developed for CQB. Firstly, they allow for practical use of NODs without trying to jam your head down and over in an awkward way. High red dots also aid in keeping the shooter more erect, which not only makes transitioning to pistol easier and more natural, it also helps keep chest plates up(and not dipping down, exposing vitals) and more square to your "target".

Will that change some day? I suspect with improvements to NVG and all, things will probably come back down closer to bore center. For now, it is working.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Honest Q: W/ NODS in CQB, why not use an IR laser and forgo trying to find the red dot in the optic?

I don't see how moving your head up 1-1.5" changes the angle of your torso at all either. Yeah, I just dug through the safe and tried it. I only move my head. If anything it just exposes more of your neck and face with the taller mount.

Not sure how it makes transitioning to pistol easier/faster either? When shooting USPSA, I squat my head forward and down closer to my shoulders to keep my arms inline. I don't lift the pistol up high w/ an erect neck/head. That would make recoil much more difficult to control.

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Honest Q: W/ NODS in CQB, why not use an IR laser and forgo trying to find the red dot in the optic?

I don't see how moving your head up 1-1.5" on changes the angle of your torso at all either. Yeah, I just dug through the safe and tried it. I only move my head. If anything it just exposes more of your neck and face with the taller mount.
    Active aiming, typically using IR laser and illuminator if applicable, is definitely faster, especially when considering the narrow FOV through most NODs. There are some finer points with lasers, especially when any distance is involved.

Retaining the option to passive aim is preferable for me if it can be done effectively. One of the things that comes into play is your lid and its attendant straps, attachments, etc. I still wear plugs but a lot of the guys I shoot with run the muffs attached to their helmets. I've noticed that they prefer a higher mount. The straps can mess with your cheek weld too. All that said, I still run my dots pretty low on the rifles that have em. I am not "cool" though.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

I don't see how moving your head up 1-1.5" changes the angle of your torso at all either. Yeah, I just dug through the safe and tried it. I only move my head. If anything it just exposes more of your neck and face with the taller mount.

Not sure how it makes transitioning to pistol easier/faster either? When shooting USPSA, I squat my head forward and down closer to my shoulders to keep my arms inline. I don't lift the pistol up high w/ an erect neck/head. That would make recoil much more difficult to control.
    Passive aiming is for those worried about others having night vision and able to see IR lasers. Keeping the head fairly upright is also more comfortable with the weight of a helmet and NODs.

Turtling when shooting handguns has fallen out of favor since the 2000s. People these days tend to keep their head up and draw the gun to their eyes.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Heads up shooting is the current doctrine within SF and many LE agencies. It is a more natural way to present a weapon and is far less fatiguing, especially when all kitted out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Brent, please for give the hijack, but since this kinda applies and people are interested in the topic of higher red dot sight risers, this guy pretty much gives the nuts and bolts, A to Z on red dot mounts and their given benefits. It's a bit lengthy, and the guy does his best to keep things simple. A good video, IMO...

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Brent, please for give the hijack, but since this kinda applies and people are interested in the topic of higher red dot sight risers, this guy pretty much gives the nuts and bolts, A to Z on red dot mounts and their given benefits. It's a bit lengthy, and the guy does his best to keep things simple. A good video, IMO...

Great post, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom