• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunup

Jun 17, 2010
    Towson, MD.
    I have XDM .40 with the stock trigger which has a very long trigger pull. I like to change the trigger to shorten the trigger pull. Any recommendations?

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I had a springer precision combat trigger and action job done to my 9mm they do great work. I shipped my gun out and had it back the following week.

TBAGRR

Feb 12, 2009
    Edgewater
    i have a springer precision trigger kit in my xd9.... i couldnt be any happier, it feels so much nicer, i know its not the xdm but i bet the outcome will be similar

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I did a Powder River Trigger job on my .45XD. Easy and the results are astounding. Came highly recommended by another forum member.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yea, the stock trigger really sucks, not so much because of the takeup, but the excessive overtravel and vague reset and break. The PDP kit that I did the walkthrough on in post#4 took one of the worst triggers of any combat pistol, and made it one of the best. If I ever get another XD/XD(M), it will get the trigger kit before it fires it's first shot. Along with a few reliability enhancements I have done including tuning the extractor, lapping the barrel, and polishing the feed ramp and chamber, it is easy to make it shoot and function far better than originally desinged.

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    Yea, the stock trigger really sucks, not so much because of the takeup, but the excessive overtravel and vague reset and break. The PDP kit that I did the walkthrough on in post#4 took one of the worst triggers of any combat pistol, and made it one of the best. If I ever get another XD/XD(M), it will get the trigger kit before it fires it's first shot. Along with a few reliability enhancements I have done including tuning the extractor, lapping the barrel, and polishing the feed ramp and chamber, it is easy to make it shoot and function far better than originally desinged.

I sent my XD in to have the slide refinished and I mentioned that it occasionally failed to return to battery. They tuned the extractor, cut and polished the feed ramp, and somehting else small I dont remember :) and damn if it doesnt operate smoothly now. Im going to do the trigger job one of these days, but I couldnt believe how much better it felt, just from the work SA did. (it was all free too.)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I sent my XD in to have the slide refinished and I mentioned that it occasionally failed to return to battery. They tuned the extractor, cut and polished the feed ramp, and somehting else small I dont remember :) and damn if it doesnt operate smoothly now. Im going to do the trigger job one of these days, but I couldnt believe how much better it felt, just from the work SA did. (it was all free too.)

Yea, the extractor works something like a 1911, and as a result has the same sensitivity to tension, finish and shape, tuning it, and shaping it like the 1911 extractors I have done has resulted in 0 failures over a few thouand rounds, including very light, and very hot loads. The feed ramp on most guns can stand to be polished, and sometimes smoothed, and polishing the breech face also can help reliability the XD(M) is no exception, along with some light polishing to the chamber, and lapping the barrel it is easy work to do and requires no parts.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    There is a new kit from PRP about to be released. The overtravel stop is now part of the trigger via an extension on the back of the trigger. Now you can adjust over travel without having to take the gun apart. They also have a new sear that eliminates the slight movement of the striker before the release (it comes polished too). And they have a new mirror polished striker. There was a Beta test user that "forgot" about it not being released yet and posted it up on ;

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m-accessories/157959-powder-rivers-new-trigger.html

Should be out for general purchase soon. Here's a picture of the parts from above link

xdmultm.jpg

ThumperIII

Jun 11, 2009
    Maryland
    I have the prior PRP kits (self) installed in my pistols. The match kit is in an XDm40SW, used mostly for range shooting. It gives a total trigger movement of 0.21". There is abt 0.08 free slack, followed by 0.1" takeup (at abt estimated 1/2 lb) to hit the resistance point. Then abt 0.03" movement at abt 3-3.5 lb to fire. There is no detectable overtravel past the release that I could feel. Reset seems just around 0.1" so not much more can be reduced. My XD45 for primary SD use has the PRP easy-fit kit. This was my first install and has about 0.28 total travel in the trigger, with the excess over the XDm being split between takeup and overtravel. Left this trigger near stock pull weight as I felt more comfortable with this for a high adrenalin moment. In addition to the PRP kit, all internal mechanical contact/rub points have been polished. The sear and striker were stoned for full parallel contact and even edges with no change in release angles. Quite satisfied with the results.
    Many threads discussing both the PowderRiverPrecision and SpringerPrecision kits on the XDTalk forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom