• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    I have been thinking about upgrading the trigger on my AR. It'a a new colt, and I think the trigger is awful. I don't know alot about trigger specs. is this trigger something the a gunsmith could customize and make it good or should I replace it? If replacing is the route what do you all suggest? the rifle will not be a bench rest barbie so nothing too light or touchy. Thanks

andy

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Yes, it does have the larger trigger pins sooooo, Iguess that limits options somewhat

Are you positive? My new 6920 has the standard .154" holes, so I thought maybe they were coming around on that issue.

My favorite compromise trigger is the Rock River National Match trigger. It isn't as smooth of some of the better triggers on the market, but is MUCH better than the combat trigger on a stock Colt and is very easy to install. I'm leaving the combat trigger as is on my new Colt since it will not be a bench gun, but if I were to swap it would be with a 2 stage RRA.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Update to above: Never mind on the RRA if you have the large pins. I thought the large pins were an option with that trigger, but apparently not.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    You know I haven't actually checked. I just asumed. As soon as I find my micrometer I'll know

I should clarify - I *think* I have standard pins on my new Colt. I don't have a micrometer, so I used a punch to partially remove one of the pins and tried to insert a standard .154" pin. It was a snug fit, and I assume that if it were the large pin holes that it would have just pushed right through without any resistance. Very unscientific. Either way, mine is staying as is so I'm not worried about it.

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    I think mine are small also, but I don't have a good mic here. will know tomorrow once I get to work. thanks for the input. I would have ordered a trigger before i checked for sure.

andy

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    do you want a "match" trigger, or a single stage "varmint" trigger? Or would an upgraded standard, included with the LPK work for you?

I only ask because, while installing my LPK, I took emery cloth to the trigger pin, inside of the bushing, and all contact points on the trigger itself. Then after the addition of the KNS pins, which can be lubricated, the trigger frle nothing like a "standard LPK factory" trigger

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The Chip McCormick is about as user friendly as you can get, and IIRC they are available in both small and big pin models.

The CMMG 2 stage is very nice also.

I have installed mostly Jard and Jewell triggers, the Jewell is perfection, the Jard has plenty of adjustments, and occasionally goes on sale for $99 or there abouts, neither is all that user friendly as far as set up and tuning is concerned. To each their own, but for slow/long range fire, I like the 2 stage triggers, and for quick close rapid fire work, the single stage.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    For an AR platform I would have to say Geissele and I believe it is pronounced "Guys lee". IMHO nothing else comes close. They make three different triggers for both sizes of pins. Most places are out of stock on them now, but I understand that they are pumping them out as fast as they can. Still a relatively small company.

Here is a link. http://www.geissele.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom