• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    I appreciate all the input.

I tried it (and still may for BUG purposes, someday), mainly because I didn't want to leave the option unexplored.

The trick will be fit for sure... but also whether the pants I would wear would be compatibly cut.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Ankle rigs are easy to carry in as long as you have a decent ankle holster. If you have a crappy one, you'll know by the very uncomfortable feeling of it.

I don't carry a BIG ankle gun, but I do carry a P3AT BUG daily on my ankle primarily with the +1 extended grip. It's not easy to get to by any means, but isn't uncomfortable to wear either for extended periods of time.

I carry in a padded WRB Holster and it works well and is comfortable. As a primary carry "duty" type holster, it's obviously not ideal. For a BUG, it's easy to conceal with jeans or khaki's or any other long pants. I personally wouldn't carry on my ankle anything bigger than a compact 380, but that's me.

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    +1

Drop the coin on a solid ankle holster and it will work great as a BUG. Carried a G26 in a Galco ankle glove as a BUG for years and almost forgot it was there. Can be covered easily with boot cut jeans and most duty pants. Ditch the skinny jeans and other tight fitting pants. Ankle carry should never be primary carry unless for NPE purposes.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Ankle_Dining.png

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have a Desantis ankle holster for my G27 that I rarely use. Its nice to have an option for formal events like a wedding where you have to tuck in your shirt. Had it for about 3 years and used it maybe 3 times.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I don't think I can draw too quickly with an ankle holster, so it's iwb for me.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Having a slow draw on the ankle is better then a no draw on the shelf in the safe.

I've never tried ankle carry, but I have left my gun at home because I could not carry IWB or OWB for one reason or another.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I look at accessing an ankle holster, better than not carrying anything. I also think it would be easier to get to when driving than an IWB if you are carrying at 3 o'clock or further back because of the seat belt. Also I don't think it would be to hard to get to if you take cover squating behind something and in any case you won't win any quick draw gunfights.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I look at accessing an ankle holster, better than not carrying anything. I also think it would be easier to get to when driving than an IWB if you are carrying at 3 o'clock or further back because of the seat belt. Also I don't think it would be to hard to get to if you take cover squating behind something and in any case you won't win any quick draw gunfights.

There are vehicle holster rigs available that can attach under the dash or inside left of the console, right of your thigh.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I'm not real fond of needing to draw and reholster everytime I would get in and out of the car, for a long drive that would be a good option.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not real fond of needing to draw and reholster everytime I would get in and out of the car, for a long drive that would be a good option.

small price to pay when you are belted in and it locks when you quickly lean down to get to your ankle as the car jacker approaches you at a light, drive thru, etc....

Carrying IS NOT a comfortable, convenient thing. Every move of your day revolves around the access to the weapon. A weapon is not a flexible, bending thing. Those who carry are and thusly need to be " convenient" for the weapon. Not the other way around. But it's your carry. Carry your carry. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For driving, I've found that for me, an OWB on the hip (1:30 to 2 o'clock) on a 15 degree forward cant still allows me to draw if need be, even while belted in. But YMMV, I'm a skinny guy.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Used an ankle holster for years for BUG. A badly designed one , or one that doesn't fit you can be torture. Even a good one takes a two week acclimation period. Proper fitting pants are a must.

Great access when seated. Decent access with either hand. With prctice nd proper technique not much slower than other deep cover carry. But the downside is that you become stationary while doing so.

None of above endorses an ankle gun for primary/ only carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom