• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Was in PA today to see family, and decided to give an ankle holster a go with the P238 (legally--don't freak).;)

Well, I don't know if it was the design of the holster, my pants, or what... but that thing was a complete failure.

Is this even worth pursuing with a specific model holster, or what???

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I never saw the usefulness of an ankle holster. I don't mean to sound like a fashion critic, but with the cut of today's clothing I can't see how the thing would be invisible at all.

Additionally, I know the P238 is a small pistol, but I'd be conscious of it at all times, whereas with an IWB or even OWB holster, I'd be more natural.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Ankle holsters do not work for me. I would think they would only work if you are sitting. Off balance on one leg does not seem like a good idea to me.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I never saw the usefulness of an ankle holster. I don't mean to sound like a fashion critic, but with the cut of today's clothing I can't see how the thing would be invisible at all.

Additionally, I know the P238 is a small pistol, but I'd be conscious of it at all times, whereas with an IWB or even OWB holster, I'd be more natural.

I am not sure how fashion is a question, unless you are wearing hipster skinny jeans. Skinny jeans would trump a flag hat. Please post pics if possible.:thumbsup:

In seriousness, I see no value of an ankle holster other than as a backup pistol. Your body is bigger above the legs and has more places to conceal. Additional you have quick access. Find a nice IWB holster that you can quickly draw from an be done with it.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I used one for 7 years on the job. No problem at all. Give it a week or so... you'll start to like it.

From one day, I agree with everyone but you!!

:lol2:

I think it is just a poor design of the holster. It is just not held solidly against the leg.

I agree that with the right rig, and time/use, it could be OK... but at this juncture, I'm going to call this one "implausible"

Mr H

Banana'd

You hit on everything that was running through my head today.

Who are you working for, and how did you find me???!:eek::shocked2::ohnoes:

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    When we get our rights returned to us...I thought an ankle holster would be good for when you're driving. When you get out, or going to get out you can move it your waist. Don't have one...haven't tried one.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I have a DeSantis Apache Ankle Holster for my P64 that I wear around the house on occasion, I usually wear sweats at home after a couple of days I would forget I had it on, the first time I wore it I felt off balance.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    I used to carry a PPK/S in an ankle holster for many years. I do not remember the brand but the holster had a strap that attached to the leg a few inches above where the main holster wraps around the ankle and it helped keep the hole thing from sliding down. It worked well with casual/suit pants and regular jeans. It would silhouette a little with jeans but not bad. I sold the PPK/S and went with a 239 but that was too big for the holster.
    It did take a little time to get used to it and it felt like my leg was swinging around with the extra weight but it worked.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've never understood why people would use them. Squatting to draw means you're not moving to cover.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I tried an ankle holster once but it was too hard to walk with a shotgun on my leg. :D

In all seriousness, I've never used one but I do kind of scratch my head when I see them for guns like a Glock 30. Seems like they would work with something like an LCR or other small revolver/auto but I don't know that I could ever get used to one.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Ankle rigs do take a little getting used to. I use one for my bodyguard while at work and if I'm wearing jeans when going to the store and what not. I found that I like my pocket holster better than the ankle rig but it doesn't work well with my jeans and can become uncomfortable during lap dances:lol2:.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is a time and place for each type of carry, just work with each one because each one won't work for every occasion.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    I actually have a Galco ankle rig for an Airweight that I really like, but would never use it as primary carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom