• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

I came into a .45 auto that belonged to someone I know who passed away. He left me his guns, most of them anyway, including an Old .45. I took it to the range today and put a hundred rounds through it. Now I remember why I didn't like the 1911 when I was in the army.

I suppose there is a technique to shooting one, but I have to wonder if I want to put in the effort. I love my .22 Ruger, and my .22 S&W model 617. I even love my old pinned barrel .38 revolver that I handload a nice mild target round for. But I don't think I'll have any love of the 1911.

Aside from the slide being very distracting, the bouncing up into the line of sight, and being harder to bring back for a very fast second shot like my .38 revolver, the added kick plays hell with old arthritis problems. Usually after a shooting session I feel relaxed and mellow. I didn't feel that way after 100 rounds of .45acp. It, (the gun) shot okay, and grouped nice at 20 yard. But I just didn't enjoy it like my other handguns. Since this peoples republik of Maryland is not going to allow carry, I really don't plan on ever carrying a heavy gun like this.

So...How many of you shoot the 1911 and how many rounds a week do you have to practice with it to be competent?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If your into reloading, 185gr cast with a 4.8gr charge of titegroup is very easy on you (recoil wise). I've shot hundreds of them in a session and had no issues.

Other than that, get a nice high grip, unless your getting hammer bite.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The 1911 is my favorite handgun. It's naturally comfortable to me. Being heavy, the recoil is very consistent, so with a practice it's easy to manage. It's also the only semi-auto I enjoy shooting one-handed.

A beavertail safety might make it more comfortable for you.

Edit: Forgot, I've been using Speer lawman ammo for what that's worth. It's filthy, but it shoots well.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    a friend of mine said the same thing about his RIA 1911. he said the gun was great, it shot great, grouped great. it just wasn't for him. He loves to shoot but he didnt like shooting that gun.

And i'll take a shot in the dark and say 98% of forum members shoot 1911's and they shoot 68,000 handloaded rounds per week.:innocent0

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I actually carry my 1911 daily. I have tried everything from .38Spl to .357 Magnum to 9mm....I enjoy my 1911.

I shoot 100-200 rounds a week through mine. I have hit the target from distances up to 100 yards. I also have Novak sights, which help my tired eyes....

That said, if you don't enjoy shooting a gun, there is no point to having it.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Round count varies for me - but I cast and shoot alot of 45ACP ball rounds.

That being said - a 1911 from 40 years ago, is not exactly like a 1911 of today. Although they work off the same principal - the newer 1911s are more refined. Things that people used to pay a smith top dollar for (lowered and flared ejection ports, match grade barrel,match bushing, target grade trigger & pull weight, improved sights) are pretty much standard fare for todays 1911s. An out of the box 1911 of today with proper ammo will shoot better then an out of the box 1911 of yester years. But you can make that old 1911 shoot better if you wish.

I dont find the recoil of 45ACP much worse then other calibers. The grip angle on a 1911 fits my hand perfect, but I dont have small hands. Other guns that people praise - does not fit my hands, nor can I shoot as well.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I never shot one. I can't say. If it doesn't work for you the price was right, put it in the back of the safe. Making money off a handed down gun could be nice, too.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    When I first shot the 1911 I would have completely agreed with the OP. Compared to .22 and other light recoil pistols it is a bit of a handful. There is a balance between neither fighting the recoil nor letting it overpower the shooter. After that the 1911 is a joy to shoot.

Now it is my favorite firearm.:)

.45 in a 1911 was the first handgun I ever shot, 40+ years ago. It really didn't occur to me not to like it. I got away from it for a while, even owned a fow-tay, but got the bug again and I've never looked back. All-in-all, except for the expense there's nothing else I'd rather shoot. That's why I've got my GSG-1911.

cb51

New springs and a small radius firing pin stop would probably help that old 1911 with its shootability demeanor.

I think I know who had that Rock.

This is not a Rock Island. It's an Auto-Ordnance Government model. I can't complain about how it shoots. At 20 yards with a dead on hold, it puts them all right in the little circle with the X on one of those half size B29 silhouette targets. Not bad for an out f the box gun. The former owner got it from someone else as partial payment for a job he did in his shop. I don't think the other owner shot it either. Both of the spare mags are still in their wrappers.

I'm just used to a lifetime of shooting revolvers. I don't think I'd care enough to get used to the 1911 platform.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Everybody has their preference on what they like to shoot. Pretty sure you can figure mine out from my screen name. Other than my Ruger 41mag all my handguns are 45acp I like the slow push of the 45s recoil over a snappy 40, but to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom