• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    Hi,
    I am in the market for a tree stand, they all pretty much look the same, in their respective categories.

IF you use one, what do you like about yours?
    Any particular benefits one over another?

Thanks
    Don

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Im most comfortable in ladders but they are only good for spots where you know it's a great spot and dont plan on moving it often.

Climbers take some getting used to but allow you to be the most mobile(public land hunting), scouting new areas etc. Downfall is you cannot use them on a lot of trees due to size, shape, angle, branches etc.

Climbing sticks and hang ons are right in line with ladder stands to me but allow you to put them in places a ladder probably wouldnt work. Some guys use them like they do climbers but I dont care for hanging the stands personally and definetly wouldnt want to do it each hunt.

Bottom line, i overwhelmingly prefer ladder stands.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    With a climber 20-22' is about the max id ever go if i didnt have the right cover at 15'. Anything higher then 18-20' makes shots 15 yards or less a lot more difficult since the angle of the shot is much more drastic.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I prefer hang on stands and climbers. A hang on can go anywhere and is easy to set up while wearing a harness and using a linemans rope. On our property, most ladder stands don't go up high enough for me. The platform of my hang on stands usually winds up between 20 and 25 feet.

About half the time I am in a climber, especially when i plan on a long sit as my climber is by far the most comfortable stand I have used...almost too comfortable. I typically will go up anywhere from 20 to 30 feet in my climber. Depending on the cover/terrain I may be as low as 15 and have gone up around 35 or so. I have knots tied every 5 feet in my 40 foot pull up rope so I can judge my height on the way up in the dark.

I am not saying you need to be that high. It can create issues on shot angles with a bow. I always wear a harness so the height doesn't bother me and it works well where I hunt.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Hi,
    I am in the market for a tree stand, they all pretty much look the same, in their respective categories.

IF you use one, what do you like about yours?
    Any particular benefits one over another?

Thanks
    Don

ladder stands are good if theres lots of deer traffic in the particular place you set your stand. bad part is They take a while to move/set up. They are real safe once you get it strapped to the tree.

climbers and lock ons are more mobile and you can get higher. Climbers can weigh a lot. it doesnt take long to get up in a tree with the climber.

lock ons will take a little longer and you may have to pack in the ladder portion in some cases, or you could use the foot pegs in which case you can just pack in the lock on. just make sure you have good safety harness and good straps on your lock on to hold your stand to the tree.

20'to 25' is a good height.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    We all go up about 25'. We measure the height using our tow ropes (one for gear, one for the weapon) by tying a knot in it for the right height.

I use a Summit Goliath climbing tree stand: http://www.summitstands.com/summit-goliath-sd-climbing-treestand-mossy-oakr-camo

Spend the money on a good carrying strap system ($59): http://www.basspro.com/GamePlan-Gear-Treestand-Support-System/product/10202452/

Always wear a safety harness.

For very cold weather, I have a hard to find insulated blind that covers the top and bottom of the stand and keeps me very warm (in addition to the disposable hand heaters).

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    95% of my hunting is done from stands. Of those, I use a climber most of the time. As mentioned by others here, you have the greatest advantage of mobility allowing you to locate the stand with consideration to wind direction(which is an important aspect of deer hunting). I like to climb my stand high 30 ft. Another advantage in climbers is they generally wrap around the hunter giving a little more security. My favorite brands are API and Summits. In that order.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do not forget about your Fall arrest harness (FAH) safety system.

Tree stand manufacturers give you one with each purchase, some are really a PITA to get into. Spend the extra $100 and get yourself a good FAH along with lifeline (combo kit has a carbiner and prussik knot). Your life may well depend on it one day.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    just wondering? I just took my hunter safety class and they recommended NOT to go higher than about 15 Ft. how "very high" are you going?

That number comes from the medical and EMS community.

If you fall from 8 feet, and the ambulance picks you up: Plan on going to the hospital, it's extremely likely you hurt yourself internally.

If you fall from 15 feet or higher: it's not likely you hurt yourself, it is guaranteed you did. The emergency room has to find out how bad it is.

Also know how to rescue yourself, when you have to deal with the toxicity buildup effects of suspension trauma. It would suck to die days after you are rescued. Do not allow youself to be lied down, that would flood toxic blood into your heart, lungs and brain. Sit up to allow your body to process the toxic blood naturally.

A good article: http://dynamicrescue.com/blog/docs/Suspension-trauma.pdf

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Do not forget about your Fall arrest harness (FAH) safety system.

Tree stand manufacturers give you one with each purchase, some are really a PITA to get into. Spend the extra $100 and get yourself a good FAH along with lifeline (combo kit has a carbiner and prussik knot). Your life may well depend on it one day.

Definitely do this:thumbsup: Years ago, I fell 20 feet from a tree stand(home made from 2x4s and plywood) as I prepared to climb down. Landed on my back, about a mile or so back in Harrington Manor State Park. I had the wind knocked out of me but, right next to my waist was a stump about the width of a softball Sticking up. I was inches away from a broken back!

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    I own a Timbertall climbing treestand. It is light and portable and I feel very safe when climbing and sitting in the tree.

It is a bit expensive but is very much worth every penny I spent for it.

As others have said, use a full body FAS.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I'm a proponent of Summit stands....both ladder and climber types. They are a little more expensive than some others, but my stands are light weight Aluminum.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I prefer ladder stands if I hunt from a stand. Feels more secure and safe to me. IMO feeling safe and secure ranks right up there with comfort and scent control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom