• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    You're right....I guess seeing it as a parent, I look at it differently. The generations now are so ingrained with this "instant gratification" mentality that makes them want so much and want it now. Society tell them that hard work and determination are not necessary, making it more difficult for us parents to instill this in them. There are days where it feels like a losing battle.

I keep hearing on television that this whole event is "what it means to be a black man in America." Well, no, I don't buy that. I don't buy that when there was a young black kid who saved a young white girl from kidnappers. I don't buy that when I look at my nephew and see a boy who is interested in Super Mario Brothers and his new thing about "being a Ninja". I don't see it when I see the young men walking down my street in their athletic gear to the school around the corner for a game. I don't see it when I see the same young men trying to get the attention of a pretty girl when they walk home from school past my house. I don't buy it when the same young men (in their hoodies and jerseys and such) say good morning to me when I am out on my lawn. I don't buy it when I see a group of older teenagers playing basketball in the street in the development across from mine.

This is what the media wants you to believe it's like to be a black man in America.

:thumbsup: well put Joe!

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    You're right....I guess seeing it as a parent, I look at it differently. The generations now are so ingrained with this "instant gratification" mentality that makes them want so much and want it now. Society tell them that hard work and determination are not necessary, making it more difficult for us parents to instill this in them. There are days where it feels like a losing battle.

I keep hearing on television that this whole event is "what it means to be a black man in America." Well, no, I don't buy that. I don't buy that when there was a young black kid who saved a young white girl from kidnappers. I don't buy that when I look at my nephew and see a boy who is interested in Super Mario Brothers and his new thing about "being a Ninja". I don't see it when I see the young men walking down my street in their athletic gear to the school around the corner for a game. I don't see it when I see the same young men trying to get the attention of a pretty girl when they walk home from school past my house. I don't buy it when the same young men (in their hoodies and jerseys and such) say good morning to me when I am out on my lawn. I don't buy it when I see a group of older teenagers playing basketball in the street in the development across from mine.

This is what the media wants you to believe it's like to be a black man in America.

Very well put, and I wasn't disagreeing with you. After all, I'm not a parent and the only factor I can relate to are my youngest brother and sister who went through their teenage years just within the last few. I often look at the youth today, at their slang, their music (popular music in general) the way they dress and those whom they idolize and think... "what the heck is this crap?"

I think you hit the nail on the head about the media's portrayal, or rather what they want you to believe "what it means to be Black in America" — the media is garbage, most of it. Even some widely accepted benevolent "entertainment" programming is not worth looking at, let alone to watch. But I digress, media in a menagerie of forms is here to stay, and in the information age with almost endless amounts to consume — how does a parent filter that today? That is something my wife go back and forth on ad nauseum, as we plan to start a family in a few years.

I lived in the city for nearly ten years from my early twenties up until a couple years ago, and I might not know first hand of the black man's struggle, but I can say that there is a real element of inner city living that most, even the bleeding heart types know nothing about. Much as you mentioned, I used to see some knucklehead kids causing problems, but I also knew — and still know some really good people. Those good people are the majority of who I'd come across, for me at least.

Walter

May 23, 2010
    george-zimmerman-gif.gif

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I wish someone would hurry up and start looting. I'd do it but I don't want to look stupid.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    I think it will be isolated cases of multiple black attackers on single white or hispanic individuals more so than riots. Unless the white house bus company can get transport set up...

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    From everything that I see for the most part what it means to be a black man is the same as any other color.

Be a free loading leech that expects everything to be handed to them, complian when it doesn't come fast enough, keeping a sharp eye out for anything that could be considered a dis, slight or maybe a possible insult to them or anyone even remotely simular to them.

Or they get a job, work their butts off and move up in the world.

This works for all colors, religions and creeds.

Of course for the most part media only pays attention to the first group as the second type does not make for good TV.

Today on Maurry Povich (or how ever you spell it) we will have 5 guys, who work, pay their taxes, love their wife and try to raise their children the best they can. No yelling, no drama, no hitting anyone with a chair. Way too boring for the folks who want to see drama.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    ADC Chimes in ...

Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) Demand Justice for Trayvon Martin!

At the behest of the NAACP ... Lest some gun-tottin' White-Hispanic defend himslef against a jihadi on a mission to meet his 72 virgins, I guess ? :sarcasm:

Dear ADC members and supporters,

We're calling on the U.S. Justice Department to open a civil rights case against George Zimmerman and have launched a petition to Attorney General Eric Holder. The petition says:

The Department of Justice has closely monitored the State of Florida's prosecution of the case against George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin murder since it began. Today, with the acquittal of George Zimmerman, it is time for the Department of Justice to act.

The most fundamental of civil rights—the right to life—was violated the night George Zimmerman stalked and then took the life of Trayvon Martin. We ask that the Department of Justice file civil rights charges against Mr. Zimmerman for this egregious violation.

Please address the travesties of the tragic death of Trayvon Martin by acting today. Thank you.

Thanks!
    –Benjamin Jealous, NAACP President

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    watching CNN and a black lady says TM was a troubled young man and the moderator cut her off

Then the black lady said the justice system worked and blacks should be asking why there is so much black on black violence and not dwell on this one case

CNN ended the interview

WOW - say the party line or get cut off

:confused:

IMO TM was a troubled youth. Black on black crime is just as bad as white on white crime. They are about even. Whites prey on whites and blacks prey on blacks. It has everything to do with proximity and opportunity. IMHO the justice system does not always work. For instance, blacks make up 13% of the total U.S. population but are disproportionately represented in the prison system. Additionally, they receive harsher sentences for crimes than their white counter parts.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    IMO TM was a troubled youth. Black on black crime is just as bad as white on white crime. They are about even. Whites prey on whites and blacks prey on blacks. It has everything to do with proximity and opportunity. IMHO the justice system does not always work. For instance, blacks make up 13% of the total U.S. population but are disproportionately represented in the prison system. Additionally, they receive harsher sentences for crimes than their white counter parts.

I think we derive two very different conclusions from the bolded section...

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    And black on white hate crimes are often unreported/under reported in the MSM. Perhaps we should talk about the 13 year old who was set on fire a while back.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    IMO TM was a troubled youth. Black on black crime is just as bad as white on white crime. They are about even. Whites prey on whites and blacks prey on blacks. It has everything to do with proximity and opportunity. IMHO the justice system does not always work. For instance, blacks make up 13% of the total U.S. population but are disproportionately represented in the prison system.*** Additionally, they receive harsher sentences for crimes than their white counter parts***.

Examples please. As a cop i assume you could produce some.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere

Not a bias comment or anything...:rolleyes:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom