• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    We want to go visit friends in the Philadelphia PA area (will be traveling within Philadelphia city limits) and want to go shooting while there with them at a public range. Are there any issues bringing a couple of handguns and ammo with us? We will travel to their house and stay 2 days and from their house to the range. All will be locked up - ammo and firearms separately but in an SUV.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    It’s ridiculous but Open Carry applies in PA, except in Philly! Talk about infringement.

Following FOPA is your ticket for travel there. Enjoy your trip.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    This is the one time of year target shooting is not allowed.

If you plan to go in the next 2 weeks, do not plan on target shooting, because deer season in PA starts tomorrow.

https://www.pennlago.com/target-practice-on-your-own-property/

Wow thanks this could be a show-stopper for us! I'll check it out further but our hosts are telling us this is a public shooting range on some parkland and each of them can bring a guest. They all have PA hunting licenses but of course neither of us do. I sent them this link.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    :thumbsup:

It was a law passed to keep the yokels from shooting up the woods because they got bored or didn't see any deer.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    This is the one time of year target shooting is not allowed.

If you plan to go in the next 2 weeks, do not plan on target shooting, because deer season in PA starts tomorrow.

what, target shooting not allowed on a public range during hunting season? that's not what i got out of that article.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I read it as preventing scofflaws from hunting deer w/o license, and claiming they were just scouting a location to plink.

Does not apply to a proper range.

Do you have a carry permit from any state or DC ? If so , you will be ok with keeping your unloaded handguns in your trunk. If not , you you would be subject to PA's Maryland style restrictions on only transporting to approved destinations.

You could still go shooting with your friends. You would just have to store the handguns at your friends while doing random tourist stuff , and seperately transport from friends house to range, as if you were back in Md.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Public ranges that I know of are part of the public lands. Private ranges here are much cheaper than what I saw in Md so spend a few bucks a year.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...AAAAACE/rAcob8fzbEM9zywtjfL__8xMAcUi0onzACJkC

Yes - this is a public range attached to public hunting land. I guess if it is open, it is ok to shoot? Hard to say. Our hosts are checking. I have never been but they have told us you just drive up and start shooting. One side for clays and one side for rifles/pistols.

I do have a CCW from Utah but PA does not recognize that anymore.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That doesn't sound right

Most Game Commission ranges require the shooter to have a hunting license or a range permit.

1457821_ikEtyV-e_OJyGB0n7nNhymZ0CQusug3V9vOra8FTJ78.jpg

Yes - this is a public range attached to public hunting land. I guess if it is open, it is ok to shoot? Hard to say. Our hosts are checking. I have never been but they have told us you just drive up and start shooting. One side for clays and one side for rifles/pistols.

I do have a CCW from Utah but PA does not recognize that anymore.

It is not a valid license for CCW, but in PA it gives you the freedom to "trunk carry" without Maryland-esque restrictions.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    That doesn't sound right

Most Game Commission ranges require the shooter to have a hunting license or a range permit.

1457821_ikEtyV-e_OJyGB0n7nNhymZ0CQusug3V9vOra8FTJ78.jpg

I believe most ranges in PA allow the license/permit holder to bring a single guest. They are 2 and we are 2.

For your shooting enjoyment and to make you a better hunter, the Game Commission maintains public shooting ranges across the state. Those who shoot firearms at one of the Pennsylvania Game Commission's state game lands public shooting ranges must possess and carry with them either an annual $30 range use permit or a current general hunting or furtaker license. ​Individuals without a range use permit or hunting or furtaker license may be fined. Each licensed hunter or range permit holder may have one guest.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As was mentioned a CCW permit from ANY state allows carry in your vehicle in PA. No reciprocity needed.

But don't get out of the vehicle unless the firearm is OC. That's legal as well.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I am a MD resident, however, I belong to a gun club in PA. I transport my firearms unloaded to the range. Is there a violation in doing this?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It's an allowed activity in both states. If in PA, I'd transport them according to the PA statute since PA is your destination.

Last edited:

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I just found another listing of the rules in effect during hunting season and it includes a "#3", which the link above failed to include. So I think we are ok!

3) at an established shooting range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom