• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I'll be traveling from MD to Pensacola next month and was thinking about carrying while on the road. I plan on driving straight through on the way down and stopping overnight on the way back. I've looked at opencarry.org and it looks like if I keep my handgun secured in the glove box for the duration of the trip that I should be legal throughout the trip. The only states I would have a problem with would be Alabama and of course MD.:rolleyes: I don't have a CCW permit and just want to make sure I would be within the legal limits of each states carry laws. While in Florida I'll be staying at a friends place and I'm sure we'll head to the range one day. My question is would it be wise for me to carry while on travel?

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=135

90gsx

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2011
    Parkville
    You should get a florida ccw for the next time you go down. You would be good in all of the states that you would be traveling through except for SC.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting. With my resident Virginia permit, I can almost go all the way to Florida, but Georgia doesn't recognize mine. But if I get a Florida permit, I can carry all the way to Florida.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Agreed, with a FL CCW permit as soon as you get to VA you can carry. SC doesn't recognize non-resident permits, however they do allow you to put the gun in a center console or glove compartment.

Get your permit while you're down there and you'll be good to go the next time!

The links in my signature will take you to where you need to start the process.

JD-IAFF

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 21, 2013
    I'll be traveling from MD to Pensacola next month and was thinking about carrying while on the road. I plan on driving straight through on the way down and stopping overnight on the way back. I've looked at opencarry.org and it looks like if I keep my handgun secured in the glove box for the duration of the trip that I should be legal throughout the trip. The only states I would have a problem with would be Alabama and of course MD.:rolleyes: I don't have a CCW permit and just want to make sure I would be within the legal limits of each states carry laws. While in Florida I'll be staying at a friends place and I'm sure we'll head to the range one day. My question is would it be wise for me to carry while on travel?

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=135

You need to carefully read 18 USC § 926A.

Last edited:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    When you get to the VA line you can Open Carry down to NC, but then you need to stow it. Yes, you can Open Carry in VA even as a non-resident, and without a non-resident concealed carry card. Your first time in a Walmart, Denny's or coffee shop will be very liberating. Just check for a salad-plate-sized sticker next to any door you go thru to see if the business owner has posted a "no firearms" policy, otherwise you are good to go...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Agreed, with a FL CCW permit as soon as you get to VA you can carry. SC doesn't recognize non-resident permits, however they do allow you to put the gun in a center console or glove compartment.

Get your permit while you're down there and you'll be good to go the next time!

The links in my signature will take you to where you need to start the process.

^^^^
    this

You need to comply with FOPA (unload in trunk) if you travel through states you either cannot legally OC in or for which you have no permit.

As noted, SC doesn't recognize NR pewrmits.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Here in NC, you are welcome to open carry. However, when driving, the firearm must be visible to any police officer that might pull you over. Do not leave it holstered....put it on the console or seat where it is visible so that a police officer can clearly see it when he/she approaches your vehicle.

You can carry in stores like Walmart, supermarkets and Walgreens/CVS that sell beer and wine, but you may not carry in a place that sells alcohol for consumption (Applebee's, etc). You may not carry in an ABC (liquor store).

Watch for gunbuster signs, follow the rules and enjoy your trip.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Here in NC, you are welcome to open carry. However, when driving, the firearm must be visible to any police officer that might pull you over. Do not leave it holstered....put it on the console or seat where it is visible so that a police officer can clearly see it when he/she approaches your vehicle.

You can carry in stores like Walmart, supermarkets and Walgreens/CVS that sell beer and wine, but you may not carry in a place that sells alcohol for consumption (Applebee's, etc). You may not carry in an ABC (liquor store).

Watch for gunbuster signs, follow the rules and enjoy your trip.

Question about gunbuster signs? I don't know what they are but if it is a sign a business erects on their property what would the penalty be for a person who lawfully can carry getting caught on the business with a concealed weapon? Is it a handgun violation, a misdemeanor or an arrestable offense or can they only tell you to get the heck off their property? Thanks.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Question about gunbuster signs? I don't know what they are but if it is a sign a business erects on their property what would the penalty be for a person who lawfully can carry getting caught on the business with a concealed weapon? Is it a handgun violation, a misdemeanor or an arrestable offense or can they only tell you to get the heck off their property? Thanks.

Yes, i think our fellow poster means "no firearms" when he says gunbuster. In VA it is a property trespass and you simply must obey an order to vacate the premises. Of course if you return or trespass a second time you can be cuffed up.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Yes, i think our fellow poster means "no firearms" when he says gunbuster. In VA it is a property trespass and you simply must obey an order to vacate the premises. Of course if you return or trespass a second time you can be cuffed up.

Okay, thanks, sort of what I had expected. But how would a business know or find out that a person is carrying concealed? Maybe soon one day when facial recognition is the norm and mated up with governmental permits then everyone will know but until that day..............

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Thanks for all the helpful info! If I decide to take my handgun to FL with me I will probably just keep it in a case unloaded. Seems like the safest bet. I'm going to look into my ccw while I'm there as well. If I don't get it while I'm there I'll check out some classes in the Md area.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for all the helpful info! If I decide to take my handgun to FL with me I will probably just keep it in a case unloaded. Seems like the safest bet. I'm going to look into my ccw while I'm there as well. If I don't get it while I'm there I'll check out some classes in the Md area.

You have a month, take the Florida class, get your non-resident permit, and protect yourself most of the way down.

90gsx

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2011
    Parkville
    You have a month, take the Florida class, get your non-resident permit, and protect yourself most of the way down.

He wont get it in time. The current wait time is about 90 days and you don't need to take a class specifically for the Florida ccw. You just need to have taken a hunter safety class, any NRA class or any other firearms class that includes live fire

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    He wont get it in time. The current wait time is about 90 days and you don't need to take a class specifically for the Florida ccw. You just need to have taken a hunter safety class, any NRA class or any other firearms class that includes live fire

True but there are plenty of trainers in FL that will conduct the training, do the live fire, and get the paperwork done while you're there. If you do this on a weekday you can even get the live fingerprinting done all in one day. Then you only have to wait for the state to process the application and mail you the CCW permit. In my case I took the training on a Saturday right before I left the next day, so I had to back-fill my fingerprints on paper and submit the application once I got home.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Man I miss Pensacola. Spent 18 years there growing up before I went to College. It's definitely going to take forever and a day for that FL CCW. I just got mine a few weeks ago after applying in Dec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom