• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I make my gun case my luggage. I put the gun in a case and put it inside my luggage. Never a problem.

That's what I do. maybe I'm just being scatter brained today. But the gun case is LOCKED with my key.

What I was referring to is using a large lockable hard sided case, putting the firearm and my clothes in it and then locking it with my lock. No one can get to my clothes or the gun.

That was the distinction I wa drawing about my TV gear case. With the gun in it, and my locks on it, all my stuff is secure, not just the firearm. That was my point.

Clear as mud right?

bowoah

GlockBlock
    Jul 1, 2014
    PG County
    Which Airlines have you all flown that seem to be pretty smooth when traveling with firearms? I live in MD and i am planning to fly to ATL & MIA this year.

Also Which airports locally have you noticed the TSA being aware of the practices and policies.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    is the actual gun case locked? If it isn't my read would be the gun is in a case that can be pried open and is not locked. Pry open the luggage, easy access to the firearm if that case is not locked with a key only you have a key to.

Maybe we're splitting hairs. As I said, do what makes you feel comfortable. I put a mall locked case inside my luggage and then cable it to the handle tubes inside the suitcase.

If your luggage is a case that can't be pried open, then perhaps what you do is ok. If it's in a regular suitcase with your own locks and is in an unlocked gun case inside that luggage, I don't see that as a good or legal.

I use a pelican 1510 as my luggage and put my carry gun in a gun vault mv500. It's locked and the pelican is locked.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Which Airlines have you all flown that seem to be pretty smooth when traveling with firearms? I live in MD and i am planning to fly to ATL & MIA this year.

Also Which airports locally have you noticed the TSA being aware of the practices and policies.

All of them to be honest. I fly mostly delta and there is no hassle. I fly out of ABE but that may not be close to you. It's the most convenient one for me.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I deviate from that advice a bit. I lock the entire case with real padlocks because I have a firearm in it. It's one of the perks of flying with a checked firearm.

This totally cool if the luggage can't be pried open, as I stated. but putting your gun in a soft luggage and then locking with your locks seems like a no go

ymmv

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    That's what I do. maybe I'm just being scatter brained today. But the gun case is LOCKED with my key.

What I was referring to is using a large lockable hard sided case, putting the firearm and my clothes in it and then locking it with my lock. No one can get to my clothes or the gun.

That was the distinction I wa drawing about my TV gear case. With the gun in it, and my locks on it, all my stuff is secure, not just the firearm. That was my point.

Clear as mud right?

That's what I do but I lock the inner gun case too. If TSA wants to open the suitcase they do so in my presence. I watched the defcon video. I would recommend that everyone fly with a firearm whenever possible. Even a cheap flare gun. The only places I really don't fly with my gun is when I'm visiting my brother and staying at his place but he lives on base and it's only because I don't want to bring guns on base.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I fly United a lot with firearms and don't really have any problems. I have flown Lufthansa, Scandinavian, Southwest, Air Tran, and US Airways with firearms. The difference is the airport not really the airline. Each airport has their own procedures so the advice of getting there early is good. Some examples are: BWI checks the case and you lock it at the airline counter. Dulles makes you go to TSA and back. Los Angeles makes you wait (a long time) for TSA to come to the ticket counter. Seattle makes you go to TSA. Monterey (CA) makes you wait while the agent takes it to TSA for an Xray scan.

But just remember always avoid the anti-states for any stops (as you could possible end up with an unintended irrop and have to take possession of the gun) also avoid Canada and the UK if going overseas.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

I have flown United mostly out of iAD (Dulles) to LAS, MIA, MCO and more destinations. few times on SW out of BWI. Been to ATL on United and Delta. Never had any issues with any of them.

YMMV of course.

ETA-a plus is the TSA scanners are right next to the United check in at Dulles. No walking, just a short wait til you're cleared to go.

bowoah

GlockBlock
    Jul 1, 2014
    PG County
    What about international flights. Is anyone familiar with the firearm possession laws in popular travel destinations. Like PR, DR, Cancun, or any places you have traveled abroad. I'm sure military or LE have it sweet.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Cancun is in Mexico. Don't go there with a firearm. You might get former Marine Cpl. Tahmooressi as a cell mate. I don't travel much internationally, but when I do, the gun stays at home.

Stay thirsty my friend.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    What about international flights. Is anyone familiar with the firearm possession laws in popular travel destinations. Like PR, DR, Cancun, or any places you have traveled abroad. I'm sure military or LE have it sweet.

Check with the embassy for that country. Prior permission is always required. Don't expect to be able to have a firearm for personal protection. Hunting if you have the hunt booked. Shooting competition if you can prove that you are entered in a match. I've actually done this a fair amount competing with the U.S. International Muzzle-Loading Team. Mileage varies a lot by nation...and the countries you think would be easy can be very difficult, and vice versa.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Cancun is a definite no-no, obviously. Just ask Sgt Tahmooresi how bringing guns to Mexico worked out for him.

DR is strict about it as well. They are may issue even to own one, and I doubt they give very many (any) permits to non-citizens.

PR is US territory. However you need a permit to even possess a gun there. The good news is that the carry permits are shall-issue now thanks to a decision by the PR SC. The bad news is that you need to go there to train and apply. Oh, and the training might be in Spanish too (not a problem for me, but for some it may be problematic).

Some countries (I believe South Africa) will allow you to import firearms for hunting and such... but I don't know of any that will allow you to import a handgun for personal protection.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Thank you everyone for your input.

I agree there should be a sticky somewhere on this. I did try to search but didn't come up with anything.

We went to Washington state where my Utah permit is good. We left out of BWI and flew both ways with Southwest. Southwest person in Baltimore was awesome. Asked me to open my bag that contained the firearm right there at the customer service desk on the scale. She had me fill out a card with my address and sign that back. The back basically said I understood I was responsible for following the law even if SW allowed me to travel with the firearm. She taped it over my Gun Vault steel case using about 2 feet of packaging tape then sent my bag along the conveyor belt.

I had no problems while in Washington. WA has great laws so no place we were going restricted me. We did hike Mt. Rainer and several other state and national forests (I have killer pictures if anyone is interested). I didn't carry with me when we went to downtown Seattle as I knew I was going to be doing wine tasting throughout the day. We did stick to the main tourist and commercial areas though.

On the way back from Seattle the Southwest customer service person told me to go "wake up the TSA agent at station 2". When I got to 'Station 2' he did look half-asleep and not busy. The TSA agent was behind a viewing screen and asked me to put my bag on the table where he opened it while wearing latex gloves. He said I was no longer allowed to touch the bag. I handed him the SW declaration card and he taped it to my Gun Vault case with a couple 1/2 inch pieces of scotch tape. He seemed surprised that I had the steel case and asked me about it. I had the security cable wrapped around the aluminum support beams of the luggage case. He seemed surprised about how secure it was making a comment about not being able to just take it. He did wipe down the outside of the Gun Vault case with a pad that he put into a machine. I assume to detect for explosives. He didn't say anything to me about it. He started to zip up the luggage case when I asked if he needed to see the ammunition. He responded "oh yeah". He told me about a previous incident that day where someone had loose ammo in their bag that he had to confiscate. After finding the ammo in my bag he zipped up the luggage case and told me he would take care of the rest.

When we landed in BWI and my bag was the last on the luggage conveyor belt to come off.

Unrelated: While waiting for my bag a parade (about 20 in wheel chairs) of WW2 vets came through the baggage area. A man carrying an American flag announced who they were and everyone clapped. It was awesome.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and patience with my redundant questions. I feel much more comfortable with traveling now with my firearm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It won't happen in CO. Possession without a permit is not really a problem in CO. You can even open carry without a permit there.

If you get diverted to NY or NJ, that can happen. In that case, don't take your luggage. Explain to the airline that you cannot legally take possession of your luggage because it has a firearm. They'll hold it for you and put it on your rebooked flight. They might even lodge it with the police for safekeeping.

The case you're talking about was a fellow by the name of Greg Revell who was flying to Allentown, PA from Utah. He was diverted to Newark and then put on a bus to Allentown (it's a common practice with that airport). He decided to get off the bus and spend a night in a hotel in NJ and fly out to Allentown the next morning. When he checked his luggage and declared his firearm, they called the police and arrested him.

JFK is probably worse. There are numerous incidents of tourists checking firearms at JFK and LGA airport and getting arrested. Some of these people are celebrities. The standard procedure at JFK and LGA is to call the police every time someone attempts to check a firearm. Possession of a firearm in NYC is illegal without a permit. They usually are released after a few days but it's enough trouble for most people to avoid NYC airports like the plague. I'm unsure of what happens at other NY State airports (eg. Islip, Westchester, Stewart) but the same law applies. The 3rd circuit has upheld that FOPA doesn't protect transport through an airport terminal on foot.

I know of someone who was flying through NJ and had the on going flight postponed. So had to stay overnight in a hotel. NJ police were waiting at baggage claim, when he touched his gun case on the baggage belt, they arrested him.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You heard horror stories? Not my experience at all.

Most of my flying with a firearm has been on United through Dulles. never had a single issue anywhere. Couple trips out of DCA too. BWI once on SW.

YMMV of course.

Did you drive AROUND DC getting there? :)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't drive through DC to get to DCA or Dulles. I take the GW Parkway, exit onto 110 at the Memorial Bridge to go by the Pentagon, take the exit in Crystal City to DCA, presto, at the airport. never set foot in DC.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The 3rd circuit has upheld that FOPA doesn't protect transport through an airport terminal on foot.
    Someone better tell TSA and the DOJ. They says it is protected.

see attached letter

Attachments

• DOJltrTSA.pdf
      235.5 KB · Views: 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads