• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Full face shield

https://dynarex.com/procedure-face-masks.html 2202 blue with mask
    difficult to find. I can fold and roll up to fit toilet paper cardboard tube

5x9 combine pads

paperwork351

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you are not trained in how to do this properly, you can cause some serious damage.
    This.

To add, I would also get some small blood clotting treatment.

Woundseal works great. I’ve had the unfortunate need to use a couple over the years. Works as advertised. Not for big wounds. And quickclot is great, but only good in true life or death emergencies on internal use (it takes surgeons a lot to clean it out). Smaller fast bleeders in leu of staples or sutures woundseal works fantastic.

Not what I’d use for arterial bleeds. But I’ve had a couple BAD finger and hand bleeds from deep cuts. Stopped the bleed within about three seconds. Held up for the days it took for the wound to heal. In both cases it was stuff I figured I probably needed to go get 2-3 stitches in and definitely the type that was actively dripping blood all over the floor when not actively putting pressure on it.

Both times sliced my hand from steel conduit boxes. Second time was finally the charm to teach me to ALWAYS wear gloves working with them. Would have been okay to cover with gauze and put pressure on it and drive a couple of hours to urgent care or an ER. Or heck, probably could have healed up with a good bandage in a couple of weeks without bleeding to death.

I did notice you mentioned antiseptics and stuff, but frankly a big bottle of rubbing alcohol and peroxide would be helpful. Either will do damage, but if you are in a situation with a nasty dirty wound and no good way to get medical attention to get it cleaned up…

If you can get hands on it, a course of Amoxicillin-clavulanate (Augmentin) wouldn’t be the worst thing to have on hand to if after a day or two it seems like an infection is setting in. Or if the wound is of a nature it is likely to turn septic, taken prophylactically. Though for sure in the later case try to get good medical care.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Great advice and recommendations listed above. A nurse told me that a CPR mask is always good to have. Amazon had the 2 pack for adult and child, so I went with that. In the incident I posted about in the thread below, a Dr was on the scene and he had a bag valve mask he used. The nurse on the scene wanted shears to assess him. Most of the injuries were internal, and not treatable on the scene. He did not make it.

Post #70

I have my stuff in an ammo can, and pulled a bunch out for them to use as they worked on him. I grabbed a towel to lay stuff out on instead of directly on the asphalt. I still sprayed all the unused items with Lysol and air dried it in direct sun before repacking at home. I’ve since expanded to a second ammo can for the additional items, such as more and larger gauze, saline, hibiclens, universal splint, the masks, more dressings, ammonia packs, burn dressings, colored med tape, etc. I also ordered Red Cross type stickers for the kits, and keep them directly behind the drivers seat, with several small and medium fire extinguishers.

I hope I never use any of it actually, but it’s there if needed. I travel with people I love often, and don’t want to be needing anything simple such as this equipment if that time ever comes.

I also have a small bag of assorted band aids and antibiotic cream for normal cuts and scrapes. That sees a good bit of use, and gets restocked as needed. And a bag of all common meds for stomach ache, bites, colds, and other common issues.

An orange reflective vest is good to have with for along a highway, or even out in the woods. Another incident just days after the motorcycle accident had me assisting another crash scene along a highway. I stayed off to the side to help the victim, but traffic control was involved as well.

I am off grid many weeks a year, sometimes a month or more at a time, often with others, so the stuff does come in handy. When asked, I usually joke that I was a Boy Scout, and they said to be prepared, but didn’t tell us what for.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I recommend you find and take a Stop The Bleed class. They are very informative with hands-on demonstrations.

This is the best advice in this thread. This class covers the basics of catastrophic bleeding. CAT or SOFTT tourniquets, Israeli (or other brand combat dressings), compressed gauze for wound packing, chest seals, and duct tape. I like additional compressed gauze, 5x9 ABD combine pads, coban (ace wraps will do), and lots of gloves.

If you break down a combat dressing, it is essentially a gauze pad attached to an ace wrap with an attached mechanical device to make it a pressure dressing.

Training is your best tool in your kit. The Stop the Bleed class can sometimes be had for free. Pretty sure Howard County FD offers it To citizens.

CWO

Jul 25, 2012
    Actual training on specifically when and how to use all of the stuff in your list. Because a bag of stuff doesn't make anyone slightly competent in it's use. Especially under pressure.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    For anyone who wants world class training, for free, join your local Volunteer Fire Company. Every County in Maryland has multiple stations, staffed by volunteers (sole exception- Baltimore City.)

Once you pass the rudimentary background check and drug test, training through your station and the University of Maryland Is FREE.

See this for more info-

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    For anyone who wants world class training, for free, join your local Volunteer Fire Company. Every County in Maryland has multiple stations, staffed by volunteers (sole exception- Baltimore City.)

Once you pass the rudimentary background check and drug test, training through your station and the University of Maryland Is FREE.

See this for more info-

World Class? You’re being very generous. EMT is a great class, but it’s up to 120 hours. And when students get to the field, they are a little more than overwhelmed. The majority of what they teach now is not very useful. Never mind the fact that MFRI instructors are mostly retired from the fire service (for a long while) and are out of touch and will waste hours on war stories. There are few exceptions, but very few.

The Stop The Bleed class is much more suited to rapid trauma care. That plus a wilderness first aid class from REI is much better suited to most real world needs. That’s just my experience.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Acetaminophen and an NSAID. Last forever, low chance of side effects, "nearly" as strong as opioids and easy to get. I also stock Oxy and Antibiotics but...anyways.

Quality tweezers. Pull ticks, glass, splinters and stuff out of eyeball if necessary. You're more likely to use them than most other first aid stuff :).

Bandaids also cover a multitude of problems.

Hypothermia blanket which can also be used as signal, water collector via condensation, poncho, and more.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Acetaminophen and an NSAID. Last forever, low chance of side effects, "nearly" as strong as opioids and easy to get. I also stock Oxy and Antibiotics but...anyways.

Quality tweezers. Pull ticks, glass, splinters and stuff out of eyeball if necessary. You're more likely to use them than most other first aid stuff :).

Bandaids also cover a multitude of problems.

Hypothermia blanket which can also be used as signal, water collector via condensation, poncho, and more.
    Definitely the blanket. I carry one in my hunting pack. NSAIDs aren't much help if you are trying to stem bleeding. Good for sprains and such though.

njjr1989

May 29, 2017
    Tampax and Kotex. Good grade of surgical clamps. Antibiotic cream and by all means a jar of Vaseline.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    World Class? You’re being very generous.
    Please explain. What institution in the US do you feel is superior to the Physicians and nurses at UM Shock Trauma in Baltimore and the folks who run MIEMMS?

EMT is a great class, but it’s up to 120 hours.

Nope. 204 hours is required to graduate.
    204 hours of Emergency Medical Technical training vs 90 minutes. Hmmm.

The majority of what they teach now is not very useful.

Please tell that to the Director at MFRI.

Or the head shed at MIEMSS. They desperately need your insight.

Never mind the fact that MFRI instructors are mostly retired from the fire service (for a long while) and are out of touch …
    Wow. Every MFRI EMS instructor I’ve known has decades of real world experience as an EMT or Paramedic, and hold current certification from NAEMT and MIEMMS.

What’s your level of proficiency and experience in Emergency Medicine?
    The Stop The Bleed class is much more suited to rapid trauma care.
    Maryland EMT training exceeds Stop the Bleed program. STB classes are only 90 minutes. EMT’s in any Maryland jurisdiction are fully trained and qualified to handle rapid trauma care. They’re the ones responding to your 911 call.

But go ahead. If you have someone bleeding out, just drive yourself to Shock Trauma and blow on past the dozens of Fire/Rescue stations along your route.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Cotton Bandanna, bic lighter and a leatherman can do a lot. We have lots of gauze and bandages at home, work and in vehicles.

I have had some pretty nasty cuts but never got stitches. I use the white antibiotic cream keep the wound exposed to air as much as possible.

I’m pretty handy but I’m not sure I could pull off suturing an arterial bleed. I guess if the need arose it would be nice to have the supplies on hand.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Please explain. What institution in the US do you feel is superior to the Physicians and nurses at UM Shock Trauma in Baltimore and the folks who run MIEMMS?

EMT is a great class, but it’s up to 120 hours.

Nope. 204 hours is required to graduate.
    204 hours of Emergency Medical Technical training vs 90 minutes. Hmmm.

The majority of what they teach now is not very useful.

Please tell that to the Director at MFRI.

Or the head shed at MIEMSS. They desperately need your insight.

Never mind the fact that MFRI instructors are mostly retired from the fire service (for a long while) and are out of touch …
    Wow. Every MFRI EMS instructor I’ve known has decades of real world experience as an EMT or Paramedic, and hold current certification from NAEMT and MIEMMS.

What’s your level of proficiency and experience in Emergency Medicine?

Maryland EMT training exceeds Stop the Bleed program. STB classes are only 90 minutes. EMT’s in any Maryland jurisdiction are fully trained and qualified to handle rapid trauma care. They’re the ones responding to your 911 call.

But go ahead. If you have someone bleeding out, just drive yourself to Shock Trauma and blow on past the dozens of Fire/Rescue stations along your route.
    Baltimore Shock Trauma is absolutely world class. It’s probably the gold standard.

MFRI’s training is hardly world class. There are some good instructors, but they are the minority in the group. EMT is now 204 hours, way more than when I took it. And much of it focuses on the physiology of the body. It’s all great, but it’s overkill for what is needed in the field. Does EMT teach more than STB? Absolutely. Is it easier for someone to take a 2 hour class or a 200 hour class? For someone who just wants to learn the basics of rapid trauma care, STB is a great way to introduce someone to the training. It’s better than watching some YouTube videos and saying “I got some training.” The training devices they use for tourniquets and wound packing do an ok job of replicating injuries and how to practice those skills.

I won’t deny that MFRI instructors have credentials and decades of experience. But much of their experience is outdated and students are better served by being taught the material for the tests than war stories and “back in my day” talks.

I was a FF/EMT and paramedic for over 30 years in Maryland. Plus four years in Connecticut. Just retired this summer. I never said to drive past a firehouse if your injured, you’re putting words in my mouth.

We are derailing from the subject here. The bottom line is get some training. If someone has the time and drive, take EMT. If you have zero training, you can take STB to get some quick basic trauma aid training in short order.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Baltimore Shock Trauma is absolutely world class. It’s probably the gold standard.

For someone who just wants to learn the basics of rapid trauma care, STB is a great way to introduce someone to the training.
    Agreed- it’s a beginning.

My thinking is that for those willing to take more training, it’s FREE for students in Maryland Volunteer stations.
    I was a FF/EMT and paramedic for over 30 years in Maryland. Plus four years in Connecticut. Just retired this summer.
    Excellent! Thank you for your service!
    The bottom line is get some training. If someone has the time and drive, take EMT. If you have zero training, you can take STB to get some quick basic trauma aid training in short order.
    Agreed.

FWIW, consider joining a local Volunteer station yourself. Take the Instructor Courses (free) and step up and put in for Instructor credentials through MFRI. Be better than the guys you critiqued. (You just may discover that the quality of instruction is far better than it was 30 years ago)

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Agreed- it’s a beginning.

My thinking is that for those willing to take more training, it’s FREE for students in Maryland Volunteer stations.

Excellent! Thank you for your service!

Agreed.

FWIW, consider joining a local Volunteer station yourself. Take the Instructor Courses (free) and step up and put in for Instructor credentials through MFRI. Be better than the guys you critiqued. (You just may discover that the quality of instruction is far better than it was 30 years ago)
    I’m good. I found myself a sweet retirement gig. I know it’s my time to walk away. It was a great ride, but I’ve done my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom