• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Anyone do any trapping? Im thinking about giving it a go.

If so what are you trapping?

Why do you trap?

What do you do with the furbearer?

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Yes, but since prices are in toilet this year, won't go at it as hard.
    Running a trapline, EVERY morning feels like Christmas morning!

Usually put them up and sell via NAFA auctions.

What area are you in?
    MD Fur Trappers has some pretty active districts : go to a meeting or two, meet some folks, and someone local will help you out.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Frederick Cnty.

Interested to give it a whirl. I like to hunt but dont have the hours to dedicate nor do I want to do it on public land. Thought this might be neat.

What are you trapping for (racoon, fox, mink, etc?) Do you do it to sell the fur?

Be honest have you eaten a racoon yet =)

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Mostly target fox these days, some beaver, muskrats when I have a marsh, but have caught coyotes, coon, fisher, otter, etc

Some years I turn a profit, but still do it when I lose money, so guess I just like it.
    LOL, I always say I lose LESS money trapping than hunting and fishing.

Stopped eating coon when I saw one LOADED with those little worms....

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Yes I do! What else would someone with my user name do? LOL

I have trapped all MD furbearers except weasel, nutria, and fisher. My fav are...fox! Followed by mink and otter. I have been doing it since 2000, with 2013 and 2014 excluded. But I am back at it. I also trapped in PA for maybe 4 years. Diff regs there, but I had fun there too. I felt dirty trapping mink in late nov, when my area of MD is dec 15-march 15. But I had this very minky spot and could not resist it. PA also has a longer fox season, and back then MD was till mid jan or something west of the bay. So I was trapping fox in feb.

BTW anyone know why the fox seasons are a 2 week difference east vs west of the bay?

Here's my best days and memories of trapping:

( last pic is a fox triple- you can see the ears sticking up both to the left and right in the background)

Attachments

• 0506catchdec30.jpg
      0506catchdec30.jpg
      82.3 KB · Views: 380
    • foxes2-3jan1206.jpg
      foxes2-3jan1206.jpg
      110.6 KB · Views: 407
    • otterfeb3.jpg
      otterfeb3.jpg
      115.2 KB · Views: 352
    • bestdaywaterM08.jpg
      bestdaywaterM08.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 326
    • 1stcoyotea.jpg
      1stcoyotea.jpg
      192.2 KB · Views: 401
    • 3foxesnov15all3.jpg
      3foxesnov15all3.jpg
      126.6 KB · Views: 392

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I currently trap groundhogs. I am using a live trap. Just a simple drop door trap from Tractor Supply.

I live in a crowded area and have a crazy groundhog problem. Currently I have caught 18 of them in the course of the summer. Pretty simple really... Just put lettuce and apples in the trap, put it in the line of travel and they go right in.

I did have one badass groundhog chew through the bottom of my metal trap and tunnel out... But I eventually got him.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    What do you do with the carcas/meat? Do you do it primary to sell the fur or more of a hobby (like hunting)

For me its a hobby, exercise, and population control on our farms. I'll tan the handful of pelts I get to sell since the market is weak. Carcasses are used for bait or composted.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I currently trap groundhogs. I am using a live trap. Just a simple drop door trap from Tractor Supply.

I live in a crowded area and have a crazy groundhog problem. Currently I have caught 18 of them in the course of the summer. Pretty simple really... Just put lettuce and apples in the trap, put it in the line of travel and they go right in.

I did have one badass groundhog chew through the bottom of my metal trap and tunnel out... But I eventually got him.

I have a large Hav-A-Heart live trap that my wife uses for groundhogs in her backyard in CT. If a groundhog could chew through it, I would address him as SIR.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a large Hav-A-Heart live trap that my wife uses for groundhogs in her backyard in CT. If a groundhog could chew through it, I would address him as SIR.

Seriously. It chewed a hole through the bottom big enough for it to tunnel out. Took me an hour to repair it with a few sections of tomato plant fencing.

That trap is not exactly made of thin wire.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Must be Mighty Chuck. I once had a raccoon at a blind set though a fence, bend the trap all up, popping the springs- a heavy duty old Montgomery 1.5 round jaw, a trap that can hold a big coyote if you catch it right. Must have been a hell of a coon, and used leverage on the fence post. My coyote above was in a #2 modified Bridger with MB chain stake. He wasn't going anywhere.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Not sure if anyone knows the answer but I figured Id ask.

MD states it has a reciprocal agreement for education. So I found that IL has an online trapper education course which will generate the certificate of completion.

Will this work? I dont even remember being asked when I got my hunters license if I took education..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom