• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Nov 1, 2011
    Looking for someone to trap raccoon near St. Michaels. They are big and nasty, travel in packs.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    In town limits or outside? If outside, apply the principles of SSS.

If you absolutely need a trapper, find the number for Bill Mountcastle. He solved a raccoon problem for me a couple years back. I've got his card a work if you'd like me to PM you the info.

Nov 1, 2011
    Hi Boat, Thank you for responding to my post. What does SSS stand for? You have me curious. I am on San Domingo creek. I have sent a few PM's to those who have replied. Are we neighbors? My best-Steve

NeverSurrender

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    Apr 3, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Be careful!

Attachments

• Rabid Racoon.jpg
      Rabid Racoon.jpg
      63.1 KB · Views: 297

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Hi Boat, Thank you for responding to my post. What does SSS stand for? You have me curious. I am on San Domingo creek. I have sent a few PM's to those who have replied. Are we neighbors? My best-Steve

Not exactly neighbors...I'm just outside Oxford. Close enough though.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I used to hunt raccoons with Walker Hounds back when you could make enough money off the pelts to support you hunting hobby.

Anyway, they are indeed tough and nasty critters. You could light them up, shoot them three or four times to knock them out of the tree and they would still give the dog a good fight after they fell 30 or 40 feet.

Had one I thought was dead perk back up in the game pouch in my hunting coat once, quite an adventure.

Just out of curiosity what caliber round do you reccomend for one shot "killer racoon" takedown?

Also, if you shoot one pack member will the others attack immediately or just follow you back home to setup an ambush?

I have heard some terrifying tales about what these killer racoons do to their victims. Some say that they have been genetically mutated by chemical waste and radioactivity others whisper that they escaped from a secret DARPA laboratory.

Above all be careful!

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I used to hunt raccoons with Walker Hounds back when you could make enough money off the pelts to support you hunting hobby.

Anyway, they are indeed tough and nasty critters. You could light them up, shoot them three or four times to knock them out of the tree and they would still give the dog a good fight after they fell 30 or 40 feet.

Had one I thought was dead perk back up in the game pouch in my hunting coat once, quite an adventure.

A1, Are you talking about Treeing Walker Coonhounds???????? We have one that is a rescue from Ohio. She is a sweety. Everyone we talk to has never heard of them. Except you now. Is docking the tails normal for hunting? Hers is and not very well. Sorry to the OP for the slight hijack and derail.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    I have a issue with raccoons, there are two, I trapped one but I don't think the 2nd one is going to go in the trap. Paid a pest removal guy to do it, and I am glad because he was just plain nasty!!!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369658681.610593.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Nov 1, 2011
    Great photo. Looks alot like the leader of the pack of fifteen or so down on the farm. My guy is a bit bigger with a tattoo "Mother" on his left hind, wears an eyepatch, and carries a glock forty. Otherwise, a real nice feller. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Yep, they are like little bears. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't part of the honey badger family. :)

And smart too. Some wildlife show was talking about how creative, smart and relentless they are. If they really want in something, they will get in or die trying.

A couple weeks ago I was on a long walk in the woods in the middle of the day, when suddenly I noticed a raccoon on the ground walking very slowly away from me. It probably didn't think I initially noticed, and was moving in super stealth mode, could barely hear it as it carefully placed each paw to be as quiet as possible, moving diagonally away from me. Very rare to see a coon in the middle of the day like that, and on the ground; I thought it might have had rabies. As soon as it got to the first large enough tree, he got behind in and I'm sure climbed up, but completely out of sight. I didn't follow to verify.

Sometimes at night in the summer, they will get on my deck and look around, I think it's the smell from my grill that attracts them. I have motion lights, and that usually doesn't discourage them much unless they hear me coming after them.

Anyone still eat them?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    A1, Are you talking about Treeing Walker Coonhounds???????? We have one that is a rescue from Ohio. She is a sweety. Everyone we talk to has never heard of them. Except you now. Is docking the tails normal for hunting? Hers is and not very well. Sorry to the OP for the slight hijack and derail.

Indeed I am. I had two, one a Grand Night Champion hunter.

I never docked their tails, and don't remember seeing others doing that. It has been many years since I wandered around in the woods in the middle of the night lighting up trees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom