• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpringChicken

Sep 17, 2010
    Looking to put together an outing for my father-in-law and couple of friends. I'd like to start the day with some clay shooting instruction, then spend the afternoon touring a local brewery. Flying Dog comes to mind, but I'm looking for ideas on what ranges within a reasonable distance from MoCo would be good and offer lessons. Any suggestions on other range/brewery combos are welcome! All should be within an hours drive from DC and each other.

Spilly

Jan 10, 2012
    Just a heads up that Flying Dog will only do tours with limited sampling. I've heard that the tours can be completely booked in advanced so you may want to check with them to see if they have any openings. I'm a big fan of Flying Dog and am one of the inaugural members of their Junto Society.

If you decide to shoot in the Frederick area I recommend you stop by Roasthouse Pub as they usually have a great selection of brews and their food is very good.

Enjoy!!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Port City Brewing Company is in Alexandria, Va. The tours are on Fri/Sat/Sun and cost a whopping $7. The price includes the tour and a glass to keep-most importantly it covers a glass of each of the beers ;)

I have no idea of any close by skeet ranges, but if you're looking for a good up and coming brewery to check out-this one will fit the bill. I frequent the place as it's next to my office.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Yes, they rent Beretta shotguns...very high quality guns for a reasonable price. I believe they only charge $8 to rent. The instructor is Rhys Arthur. I've taken lessons from him. He's very helpful...with a good attitude. I recommend him highly.

Joe

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    PG Trap and Skeet and then off to DuClaw in either Bowie or Arundel Mills, depending on which direction you are traveling home.

oom

Mar 22, 2011
    PG Trap and Skeet and then off to DuClaw in either Bowie or Arundel Mills, depending on which direction you are traveling home.

Or even closer, Franklins. Right down rt. 1 a few miles north of DC. Spent entirely too much time there when I was a College Park.

Oskerspap12

May 3, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Why is it always P.G??? There are a hell of a bunch of trap,and skeet clubs alot closer to Frederick than P.G.Lets see............There is Tuscarora,open to public Wednesday 5-10,Saturday 10-4,Thurmont Tuesday 5-10(or thereabouts),Mt. Airy on Thursday 5-10pm.I think that should suffice for now.........Ain't no reason to drive to P.G. with those clubs that close to Frederick.

D.P.Reynolds

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Why is it always P.G??? There are a hell of a bunch of trap,and skeet clubs alot closer to Frederick than P.G.Lets see............There is Tuscarora,open to public Wednesday 5-10,Saturday 10-4,Thurmont Tuesday 5-10(or thereabouts),Mt. Airy on Thursday 5-10pm.I think that should suffice for now.........Ain't no reason to drive to P.G. with those clubs that close to Frederick.

D.P.Reynolds

Another thread necro, and where did Frederick come up in the above discussion? The OP was looking for close to MoCo, and depending on where in MoCo, PG Trap IS closer, plus they have instruction.

jetlagged

Feb 28, 2013
    AA County
    Another thread necro, and where did Frederick come up in the above discussion? The OP was looking for close to MoCo, and depending on where in MoCo, PG Trap IS closer, plus they have instruction.

Just like depending on where in MoCo, Frederick isn't that far of a drive. ;)

And Flying Dog is a great brewery and I've heard a lot of good things about their tour compared to other brewery tours, mostly you learn a lot more. But you do need to book the tour in advance since they usually are booked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom