• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I shot my first Sporting Clays round at a Fire Department fund raiser with a fixed choke (IC/MOD) Franchi 20 Gauge O/U and I was hooked. Not the best outfit, but it worked.

Take what ever two shot capable shotgun you have and get going!!!!;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

aebsr

Reluctant Militant
    Jan 19, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I started with a 12ga Spartan in Skeet then Trap. But it was too heavy and loud. Switched to a 20ga Franchi 720 Diamond for Trap and LOVED every minute of it, despite taking all last year off :( I pull 17-19/25 consistently with a 20ga but figure I could put that extra shot from a 12ga to good use doing Sporting Clays.

Hopefully I'll get my hands on an Instinct by Spring time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, I know it won't help over just even a front bead...but In terms of caring, 50% deer hunting, 20% turkey hunting, 10% small game hunting, 10% goose hunting and 20% recreational shooting. Even if down the road I put 500 shells through it trap for every 1 I do deer hunting. A ghost ring is at least the least hindrance on point and shoot compared to every other type of open sight I've ever used and it has the bit of benefit of being the most accurate open with I've used other than peep sights (but for me personally a very close second).

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Yes, plenty. Pump action is fairly common in Trap and Skeet, uncommon in Sporting, but also not totally unheard of either. :thumbsup:
    I shoot Sporting Clays with an 870 and do OK. An auto or dbl would help some I suppose.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I shoot Sporting Clays with an 870 and do OK. An auto or dbl would help some I suppose.

On the true pairs or quick outgoing report targets yes. There's a guy who shoots a 20ga pump at my club and can handily whip my ass.:o

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Yeah, I know it won't help over just even a front bead...but In terms of caring, 50% deer hunting, 20% turkey hunting, 10% small game hunting, 10% goose hunting and 20% recreational shooting. Even if down the road I put 500 shells through it trap for every 1 I do deer hunting. A ghost ring is at least the least hindrance on point and shoot compared to every other type of open sight I've ever used and it has the bit of benefit of being the most accurate open with I've used other than peep sights (but for me personally a very close second).

For your 870 you need a 28'' barrel with screw in chokes. No rear site other than the flat grooved part on the receiver and a bead on the end of the barrel.
    The ghost ring will slow you down so bad you will not hit much. It prohibits you from seeing the target early enough.

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    On the true pairs or quick outgoing report targets yes. There's a guy who shoots a 20ga pump at my club and can handily whip my ass.:o

yeah, the pumping makes it harder to grab site of that second close behind bird. I love S C but the cost can certainly prohibit how much I go which isn't very much.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    That first sentence started out pretty racy there bro......

$28 bucks for a round of 100 at Oxford, add in shells and you are looking around $60 bucks including breakfast for a fun half day.

But, yes, I agree, it's not like plinking 500 rounds with a .22.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    For trap, I'm very happy with my Mossy 500 (I forget the submodel), but I added a HiVis sight behind the mid-dot, and instantly started getting a better feel for the target.

I've been so-so with it for skeet, but still need to get a feel for it with my semi. My o/u might be OK, but it might be too heavy.

For sporting clays, I can't answer... yet to do that.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Mr H;4156607 My o/u might be OK said:
    That's ok Mr. H.......I knock the rust off for waterfowl season by running 50 or 100....with my Browning Gold Hunter 3 1/2" semi-auto!!!:cool:

It handles the target shells fine, but it's a tad heavy!!!;)

Truth in Advertising - Browning Special Sporting Clays O/U 30" barrels is my go to for all games clays.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    What are some of your favorite places to go? I've only ever been to PG County and Bull Run. I really enjoyed the Sporting Clays courses at both.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Depends on where you are really. Pintail is nice, as mentioed. I like Quinton too (cheap and good).

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    For a very long time to come the only expenditure I can justify is a shell pouch belt. Awkward stuffing a box in my jacket pockets.

Required for shooting at Loch Raven. If you don't have one, there are loaners in the clubhouse.
    Why required you say?
    Because when shooters have their boxes of shells on the ground at their feet, when they bend over to get more shells or change stations they tend to wave the gun around. (and plumbers butt is gross unless you're a hot chick):lol2:

Some new shooters were putting 5 shells in their pockets (summer), then leaving the line between stations to get more. Also a big No no.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Places I've shot at.......

Pintail; Schrader's; Hopkins; Owen's Station & Delmarva on the Eastern Shore; PG; Oxford; Hopewell; Bull Run;

Coyote Valley and Birds Landing in central California;

These were my favorites, but unfortunately closed now..... Alexander's; J&P; & Gunsmoke.

Pintail & Schrader's are my favorites now.

Last edited:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Required for shooting at Loch Raven. If you don't have one, there are loaners in the clubhouse.
    Why required you say?
    Because when shooters have their boxes of shells on the ground at their feet, when they bend over to get more shells or change stations they tend to wave the gun around. (and plumbers butt is gross unless you're a hot chick):lol2:

Some new shooters were putting 5 shells in their pockets (summer), then leaving the line between stations to get more. Also a big No no.

At an unnamed range last year a young lady had an accidental discharge on the trap line at the same time the person beside her was bending over to get more shells out of his box of ammo on the ground. He caught some ricochet from her blast bouncing off the concrete up onto his face.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    At an unnamed range last year a young lady had an accidental discharge on the trap line at the same time the person beside her was bending over to get more shells out of his box of ammo on the ground. He caught some ricochet from her blast bouncing off the concrete up onto his face.
    Ouch. I've heard stories, glad not to have been around for anything like that.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Places I've shot:

Western Shore: AAF&G; PG; Three Rivers

Eastern Shore: Pintail; Schrader's; Delmarva; Owens' Station

Abroad: Shot a round of 5-stand in Barbados

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics