• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I would put it in the 3rd row ( or as far in the back as possible) and cover it with something.
    But if you get stop would the officer think your trying to hide or conceal the rifle by you covering it?
    Don't think that would be an issue, I usually do (cover them in some way) anyway, outta sight, outta mind I say... LOL

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Covering it is an excellent plan. Less chance it will get noticed by anyone including LE. It's only considered "concealed" if it's on your person. And it's your right to politely decline a request to search your vehicle.

IANAL

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Note that for long guns especially FOPA is more restrictive that either Maryland or PA. You don't HAVE to use FOPA rules if the states you're traveling through are less restrictive. FOPA give you an option for getting through states like NY, NJ, etc. that it would otherwise be impossible to get through.

Overkill is a great strategy and can save some headaches. It's just good to know where the line of the law is.

This.

You are able to transport in a way that follows the law for the jurisdiction you are in. You do not need to do use FOPA rules because you can travel by following the law.

If I were to travel through DC or NJ with an firearm, I would be damn sure I was following the FOPA regulations to a tee.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a question I am currently a MD resident and recently moved to PA to work. If I change my residence to PA ie get a PA liscence and tags then a couple years later decide to move back to MD what does that mean as far as bringing my firearms back to MD after oct 1st? I purchased everything in MD that I currently own. Second question is if I purchase firearms that are on the list in PA once I change my liscence over could I bring them back to MD if purchased after OCT 1st?

Look out for tax issues. When you move back to MD, they will charge you a 5% Use Tax on your to put it back into MD Title.

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Good info on this issue. I will be doing the same as soon as I pick up my AR. I have a good chunk of property to shoot on in PA and will be traveling there quite a bit with the guns. Of course the guns will be locked in a case in the truck and the ammo in a seperate case in the back seat.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    A lot of this is overkill. As long as you can't uncase, load, and shoot the firearm while driving, you should be ok. Keep your stuff out of sight, if you get pulled over don't consent to search. If your staying in a hotel, I would be mostly concerned with inconspicuous transport from your vehicle to your room.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    I personally would sleep better knowing my rifle is next to me. The trick is getting it to your room without anyone knowing its a rifle. With the breakdown capabilities of an ar its pretty easy, it all depends on how you plan on transporting it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Which is why they make the cases that do not look like rifle cases. They are rectangular or even one that looks like a large tennis racquet case. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom