• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    Is this legal? of course unloaded, in the lock case but traveling across state lines. Then also staying a hotel in PA with the rifle is that legal?

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Yes, you can do the same if you fly and declare and check the weapon in a locked case.

Just make sure your hotel isn't within 1000 feet of a school or you are in violation of the federal GFZSA.

Last edited:

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Good to know, I have a bud up in PA that wants me to visit and go shooting.

What about the other way, PA to MD? Any concerns coming into the Gulag?

FWPhoto

Jun 3, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    I've never taken my guns to PA but did take them to my mom's in Myrtle this past Thanksgiving. Man...oh man...they are SOOOOO 2A friendly down there. Sorry...back on topic lol. Anyhoo, when I researched it, as far as carrying across state lines, you needed to make sure that the guns and ammo were completely separate from each other and in no way accessible. As long as the gun isn't banned in the state you're going to and you pack with care, you should be good.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Sooo...AR in softcase back seat of crew cab truck, ammo in footwell of front passenger footwell good?

Sent from the Ether using TapaTalk 2

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Sooo...AR in softcase back seat of crew cab truck, ammo in footwell of front passenger footwell good?

If you have a cap or something on the bed of the truck, I would put either the gun or the ammo in the bed of the truck.

Anytime I travel with my firearms, I put them in a lockable hard case and use padlocks to secure them. I put my ammo in an ammo can and safety wire it shut and keep them as separate as possible. I also cover everything with blankets or something so they aren't easily visible from the outside.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yes, you can do the same if you fly and declare and check the weapon in a locked case.

If your flight should land in NY. even as an unscheduled stop, there are complications which could result in serious legal problems for you. As the laws are complicated and irrational, I can't offer an explanation for this, so I just note the warning.

If this is a possible scenario for you, someone will probably chime in with the details.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I thought that got fixed. I guess we will need to ask one of the experts.

Nothing changes in that regard after 1 OCT. As long as you are a MD resident and legally owned the regulated firearm prior to 1 OCT, you should still be good to go. SB281 addresses firearms not registered in MD prior to 1 OCT and brought into the state by someone planning to establish residency. It would also apply to a MD resident who did NOT legally own the regulated firearm prior to 1 OCT and who attempts to transport it into the state. After 1 OCT, any banned firearm is precluded from being transferred, purchased, or otherwise brought into the state except under certain exceptions for inheritance from a family member.

MD SB281 amended can be found at:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/chapters_noln/Ch_427_sb0281E.pdf

FWPhoto

Jun 3, 2013
    Waldorf, MD

LOL....you might want to get a little more creative than that. I have a mini-van with stow and go so I stored the ammo in one and the guns in the other. I'm sure it could be done but it's not a quick and easy task getting to those. It was my only option. I didn't get pulled over and was heading away from tyranny. For all intent and purpose, no one but the hubby and I knew they were even in there. I would like to think they would accept that I did my best to follow the law. I'd do like the other posters have said and store one or the other in the bed/cab. Putting the gun in the back would probably be the better choice. Lock both if possible. In this case, I don't think overkill is a bad idea.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    LOL....you might want to get a little more creative than that. I have a mini-van with stow and go so I stored the ammo in one and the guns in the other. I'm sure it could be done but it's not a quick and easy task getting to those. It was my only option. I didn't get pulled over and was heading away from tyranny. For all intent and purpose, no one but the hubby and I knew they were even in there. I would like to think they would accept that I did my best to follow the law. I'd do like the other posters have said and store one or the other in the bed/cab. Putting the gun in the back would probably be the better choice. Lock both if possible. In this case, I don't think overkill is a bad idea.

I'm big on overkill when it comes to transporting state to state. When I was stationed in Maine and wanted to bring rifles or handguns home, I had to go through Mass and New York only to end my trip in, New Jersey.

Needless to say I went above and beyond to try to make sure that if there was an incident, I could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I did all I could to make sure there was no chance of me accessing any firearm or ammo.

I've only ever had one "oh $hit" incident and that was coming from Norfolk to New Jersey prior to a deployment and luckily for me, the trooper was cool and I had no troubles.

mdjohn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    Harford county
    what a freaken circus

I drag my ammo in a triple locked steel box covered by four condoms in a wheeled cart fifty feet behind my truck

the gun is in a locked safe and covered by four condoms and is being transported in a separate vehicle by a guy I don't know, who said he will meet me

It's sad we have come to this and the bad guys are laughing at us

:sad20:

FWPhoto

Jun 3, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    I'm big on overkill when it comes to transporting state to state. When I was stationed in Maine and wanted to bring rifles or handguns home, I had to go through Mass and New York only to end my trip in, New Jersey.

Needless to say I went above and beyond to try to make sure that if there was an incident, I could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I did all I could to make sure there was no chance of me accessing any firearm or ammo.

I've only ever had one "oh $hit" incident and that was coming from Norfolk to New Jersey prior to a deployment and luckily for me, the trooper was cool and I had no troubles.

Ha...just reading that you drove through NY made my arse pucker. Yeah...for me, I overkill all the safety stuff with the guns. I have two kids in the house. My are very aware of the safety that goes along with them but I'd much rather be safe than sorry. The only thing that doesn't stay on lock down is the shotgun by my bedside. I put the fear of God in my kids about that one. Overkill is our friend. :ninja:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

Just make sure your hotel isn't within 1000 feet of a school or you are in violation of the federal GFZSA.
    I don't think that really applies... if you are on private property (is a hotel/motel considered private property?) you are good.. also as long as your weapon is secured, you are also good...

The Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990 (18 U.S.C. § 922(q)) states:
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is— (I) not loaded; and (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom