• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WTHunter

Nov 15, 2012
    Parkville, MD
    I saw a variation on this topic brought up in another thread, and rather than confuse the topic there, I am going to ask my question in a new thread. I own a Ford Excursion and was wondering how the law about transporting firearms/ammunition separately and out of the driver's reach would be applied? Anyone, not familiar with this vehicle, it is basically an Expedition on steroids, with no trunk or separate lockable area. Also, would the fact that I am a Designated Collector have any bearing? I'm just a little extra cautious these days and don't want to loose what few rights I have left in Maryland.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I saw a variation on this topic brought up in another thread, and rather than confuse the topic there, I am going to ask my question in a new thread. I own a Ford Excursion and was wondering how the law about transporting firearms/ammunition separately and out of the driver's reach would be applied? Anyone, not familiar with this vehicle, it is basically an Expedition on steroids, with no trunk or separate lockable area. Also, would the fact that I am a Designated Collector have any bearing? I'm just a little extra cautious these days and don't want to loose what few rights I have left in Maryland.

The Ford Expedition is a SUV built on a F150 frame and the Ford Excursion is a SUV built on a F250 frame. Both are nice.

Where does the law state anywhere that a firearm has to be stored separate from the ammo and that it must be out of reach? Don't get me wrong, I think storing the ammo separate from the gun and keeping it out of reach makes it easier to show you had nothing bad planned while transporting the firearm, but I really see nothing specific in the law stating that. I believe the main thing is that the firearm be "unloaded" while being transported.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    A lot of these threads don't draw a distinction between what the law says, and what may be an abundance of caution so that if there is an issue there are no questions.

"Technically" you could have an unloaded pistol on your hip in an enclosed holster, and 10 loaded magazines next to you on the front seat and be within the law (if you're going to an approved activity)

Would I travel that way? No, but I think it's important to know both what the law says as well as what would be prudent.

I have an Explorer, I put the pistols in cases, inside a range bag in the far back of the vehicle. The ammo is usually in the range bag in boxes (or mags depending what range I'm going to - along with a copy of the loaded mag letter). I usually throw a blanket or something over the range bag so it's not immediately visible.

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    A lot of these threads don't draw a distinction between what the law says, and what may be an abundance of caution so that if there is an issue there are no questions.

"Technically" you could have an unloaded pistol on your hip in an enclosed holster, and 10 loaded magazines next to you on the front seat and be within the law (if you're going to an approved activity)

Would I travel that way? No, but I think it's important to know both what the law says as well as what would be prudent.

I have an Explorer, I put the pistols in cases, inside a range bag in the far back of the vehicle. The ammo is usually in the range bag in boxes (or mags depending what range I'm going to - along with a copy of the loaded mag letter). I usually throw a blanket or something over the range bag so it's not immediately visible.
    PMFJI...what's a "loaded mag letter"?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    PMFJI...what's a "loaded mag letter"?

So first I had to google FMFJI ! :D

A couple years ago one of the MD Senators asked the AG's office for an opinion on whether it was legal to transport loaded mags in a vehicle. The letter basically stated that there is no law against it, followed by some butt covering lingo regarding "not an official opinion".

I was in a hurry earlier when I posted, but I've attached a copy here.

Attachments

• AG Loaded Magazines.pdf
      37.5 KB · Views: 162

WTHunter

Nov 15, 2012
    Parkville, MD
    Thanks for all of the replies. I have been transporting my firearms while hunting for years without a second thought while hunting. But due to the current "environment" here in the People's Republik, and my family's increased participation in recreational shooting... I figured an over-abundance of caution isn't exactly a bad thing. :innocent0

usmctankmech

Feb 5, 2013
    Manchester,MD
    The Ford Expedition is a SUV built on a F150 frame and the Ford Excursion is a SUV built on a F250 frame. Both are nice.

Where does the law state anywhere that a firearm has to be stored separate from the ammo and that it must be out of reach? Don't get me wrong, I think storing the ammo separate from the gun and keeping it out of reach makes it easier to show you had nothing bad planned while transporting the firearm, but I really see nothing specific in the law stating that. I believe the main thing is that the firearm be "unloaded" while being transported.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf
    Under Places off limits even with a permit or licence section.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Federal Law (Title 18 USC SS 926A) has nothing to do with the transport of handguns WITHIN the state of MD. FOPA applies to Interstate transportation. It has no bearing on transport when both the origination and destination are both in MD.

Apples and Oranges.

AG ruling attached.

Attachments

• MD AG opinion on travel 4-203.pdf
      15.4 KB · Views: 73

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf
    Under Places off limits even with a permit or licence section.

I think you are just trying way too hard to argue with me on this one. Came here to reply to the e-mail forward I received with your United State Code ("USC") cite, but cannot find that post in this thread. Then I find this response.

I believe the issue that the OP is talking about is how to store a gun and ammo while transporting it in a vehicle within MD.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So first I had to google FMFJI ! :D

A couple years ago one of the MD Senators asked the AG's office for an opinion on whether it was legal to transport loaded mags in a vehicle. The letter basically stated that there is no law against it, followed by some butt covering lingo regarding "not an official opinion".

I was in a hurry earlier when I posted, but I've attached a copy here.

Thanks for posting that AG letter. Nice to know that a loaded mag is not the same as a loaded handgun if the mag is not in the handgun. Turns out that was my Senator, Allen Kittleman, that asked for clarification. He has been really good about keeping me abreast of what is going on in Annapolis regarding all this proposed gun control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom