• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Digby

Feb 19, 2014
    Western Howard County
    Hey guys
    I just wanted to share with you some pictures of work done for me by John, gunsmith/machinist at Duffy’s. John did a spectacular job on my Century AK74 Tantal, replacing the barrel and painting the rifle in a low sheen black Cerakote finish, to replicate the original military finish on a Tantal.

I bought this rifle new in 2008 and the first time out to the range, it key-holed badly. Every bullet strike on the target backstop at 50 yards was in the shape of a bullet silhouette. Century refused to fix the rifle under warranty and instead claimed that bullets fired from the rifle were supposed to tumble. The truth is that Century used barrel blanks rifled in .223 caliber. Since the 5.45x39 slug mikes at .220”, bullets would just rattle down the .223” barrel and tumble end over end upon exiting. John confirmed this when he slugged the Century barrel at .2235”.

I couldn’t shoot the rifle with the existing barrel, so it sat in my safe for years until I discovered that Green Mountain finally got around to making a replacement chrome lined Tantal barrel with the right diameter and twist for the 5.45 round. I took a chance, bought the barrel, and then began looking for a qualified gunsmith to install it. That’s when I met John. He is a talented machinist, excellent gunsmith, AK aficionado, and all-around good guy.

Thanks to John, the rifle runs perfectly and prints awesome 3.5”- 4” groups at 100yards. It also looks 100% better than it did when I bought it. It was originally parkerized in a battleship grey color. Now, it looks like a proper Tantal with a beautiful Cerakote finish. Honestly, I can’t find even one tiny flaw in the paint or in any of the work that John did on the rifle. He transformed a Century tomato stake into a beautiful, accurate and smooth operating AK.

Thanks John!!

Attachments

• rsz_tantal_1.jpg
      rsz_tantal_1.jpg
      129.9 KB · Views: 407
    • rsz_tantal_2.jpg
      rsz_tantal_2.jpg
      142 KB · Views: 360
    • rsz_1tantal_3.jpg
      rsz_1tantal_3.jpg
      122.2 KB · Views: 352
    • rsz_1tantal_4.jpg
      rsz_1tantal_4.jpg
      134.3 KB · Views: 352

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I totally regret selling a lot of my firearm stuff including my pristine parts kit back in 2009 with a correctly marked 80% blank. All the numbers matched and it looked like it had never had a round fired. But getting my student loan paid off in full was like getting a giant monkey off my back and it was totally worth it. Beautiful rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom