• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Any of you dealers do transfers in the PG/Montgomery County (preferred) I won an auction for an M1 carbine and called my usual FFL and it turns out he is in the hospital and it is a one man shop.

Need an alternative. PM me with terms.

THanks!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ya the guy in Jessup was my guy but I guess they are not doing transfers as he is recovering from a health issue.

Great guy, I loved doing business with him.

Need a replacement for this carbine.

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    you mean jessup coin and pawn is not doing transfers right now?
    thats where i have been going the last few i have done.
    most gun shops around here want a arm and a leg just to do some paperwork. hey i know every one has to make a buck but come on $50 to do a transfer??
    try Otto's police supplies in Glen Burnie, he used to be $30

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    . . . try Otto's police supplies in Glen Burnie, he used to be $30
    I like Clayton Otto and used to deal with him a lot. Not long ago, Clayton found out what everyone else (with much bigger overhead) is charging and bumped his fees up too. . .

Then, he told me that he received a letter from the "MD Licensed Firearms Dealer's Association" that he must collect sales tax on transfers and insists it's the law.

Tax laws are difficult to understand, and there is also a "Use Tax" in MD that may be applicable to certain things that are "Sales Tax" exempt, so I don't know.

Since the USPS, FedEx and UPS doesn't have to collect sales tax if I conduct other out of state purchases, I tend to believe that the dealer's assn has a vested interest in selling guns off the shelves and is trying to discourage internet sales in this manner. I asked Clayton if there was documentation of the law in his letter, and he promised me a copy of it that I never received.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    There was an issue with people buying Furniture out of state and bringing it home. I think it might have been Schaeffer who wanted to or did get laws passed about having to pay tax on it?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I like Clayton Otto and used to deal with him a lot. Not long ago, Clayton found out what everyone else (with much bigger overhead) is charging and bumped his fees up too. . .

Then, he told me that he received a letter from the "MD Licensed Firearms Dealer's Association" that he must collect sales tax on transfers and insists it's the law.

Tax laws are difficult to understand, and there is also a "Use Tax" in MD that may be applicable to certain things that are "Sales Tax" exempt, so I don't know.

Since the USPS, FedEx and UPS doesn't have to collect sales tax if I conduct other out of state purchases, I tend to believe that the dealer's assn has a vested interest in selling guns off the shelves and is trying to discourage internet sales in this manner. I asked Clayton if there was documentation of the law in his letter, and he promised me a copy of it that I never received.

I've known Clayton since high school and he is honest and forthright. You can believe him if he says he received a letter.

If you purchase furniture in NC, you are expected to pay sales tax according to the Comptroller's Tax Division. Same would be expected with anyother high dollar ticket item, it's only "tax-free" until you get caught.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom